More Proof that J. Frank Dalton was Jesse Woodson James

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Plus the guy doing part of my research actually met J Frank Dalton.

There is no doubt that Dalton was not always telling the truth about everything......Imagine the code of the K.G.C. and the desire of any member to cover their fellow knights involvement in anything. To expose the truth would expose many Brothers of Lasting Faith and would be the same as turning your back on them to in effect tarnish their names and damage their future money making operations some of which are still operating 150 years later with 5th generation offspring. Was Dalton making up stories for a publicity stunt at 103 years old?, or was he having selective memory to protect the operations? If I wanted to appear poor.....I would have borrowed a suit and had very little to be confiscated by the Feds, especially anything that was still turning out millions to my Brothers of Lasting Faith. Keep up the work and maybe we will find something solid.

only my opinion, and we all have those, L.C.

Last edited:

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
TF 900, Schonstedt, Whites, Garrett, GPR, etc.
Ummm....let's review here. We have a postcard mailed to Catlin Illinois to a Bertha Dalton. It's signed Jesse James whom you claim J Frank Dalton is. The only woman close to that in the area is Leila B. Dalton who happens to be married to Frank Dalton.
Am I missing anything?

I've traced Frank back to his birth. I'm now going to trace his trail from 1910 forward. I'm hoping this is J Frank Dalton and I'll have solved a great mystery of his true identity.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Ummm....let's review here. We have a postcard mailed to Catlin Illinois to a Bertha Dalton. It's signed Jesse James whom you claim J Frank Dalton is. The only woman close to that in the area is Leila B. Dalton who happens to be married to Frank Dalton.
Am I missing anything?

I've traced Frank back to his birth. I'm now going to trace his trail from 1910 forward. I'm hoping this is J Frank Dalton and I'll have solved a great mystery of his true identity.

I am only making an educated guess on the information that is available, I would like Dalton to really be Jesse James, but like you....there is nothing solid enough to prove that he was or wasn't except the info available. I don't think there has been enough info come to light to prove anything solid on the matter beyond a doubt.....Keep dig'n! I remain unsure but leaning towards the facts of knowledge presented.

Great subject matter Okie and Jay, L.C.

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
He started using the name Henry and it appears him and Bertha had split up or divorced which would explain the use of Miss on the post card. By 1930 he was living in Georgetown Illinois.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think so. It would lead one to believe there was another more interesting and discrete reason for the cards message to me. Who would have signed jesse James to the card in your opinion, and what were they asking for?
L.C.

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've long believed that the man known as J. Frank Dalton was really Jesse Woodson James, just as he said he was in Lawton, Oklahoma in 1948 at the age of 100 years old. Last week, I purchased a historic postcard that confirms that I and others who believed were correct. I first posted the following this afternoon at our Bloody Bill Anderson Mystery group because dozens of our members have worked long and hard since 2006 to solve many mysteries of the Civil War and post-War period. *** As I promised late last week, I'm going to reveal the mystery object that I told you about then. It is now securely in my possession and the implications of it may be history-changing. This old postcard proves many things and one of the most important is that there is still a lot of evidence left about the topics we're working on at this group out there, just waiting to be discovered by researchers. We just need to be vigilant in pursuit of it. *** Here is the text from the front of this amazing photo postcard: "Shooting First Oil Well At Centralia, ILL. Nov. -1-'08. Made For Centralia Book Store" Informational text from back of postcard: "Made for dealers every where" Ritchie Bros., Centralia, Ill. Handwritten and signed text of the message: "How are you? hurry and send my waist for I need it - Jesse James. Addressed to: Miss Bertha Dalton - Cartter, ILL *** This is certainly terrible news for all of the Dalton/James naysayers out there. I'll be very interested in watching how they will react to it and try to spin and refute it. There's still a lot of research that needs to go into this amazing postcard and many questions that remain to be answered. I posed a few of them in previous messages over the past few days. I'll attach the two photos of this postcard and I am eager to see what additional information you all can add. ~Jay~ Jesse Woodson James Photo album: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BloodyBillAndersonMystery/photos/albums/1440069169 ***

Didn't they do an DNA on Dalton and said he was a fake some time back? wonder whats up?

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Does it really matter since this thread was about the postcard proving J Frank Dalton was Jesse James?

The Frank Dalton that Bertha was married to spent most of his life in Illinois. We have genealogical records that show he was never a James.

Hand writing samples from J Frank Dalton clearly don't match what's on the postcard, but an expert opinion would settle the matter.

I probably would have done more research before using the postcard as definitive proof. I personally find J Frank Dalton more interesting of a character than Jesse James. Certainly there's more mystery of his early life.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
"Does it really matter since this thread was about the postcard proving J Frank Dalton was Jesse James? "

Only if you seek the truth. That is ...unless all men that were named Jesse James sent coded messages in their letters.

L.C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't had time to catch up on this thread, Okie, but thank you for supplying this information. As you probably know, J. Frank Dalton used the name Frank Dalton for quite awhile in the earlier 1900s when he wrote some newspaper and/or magazine articles.
~Texas Jay

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, rwd, there has never been a DNA analysis done on the man known as J. Frank Dalton. Bud Hardcastle spent a lot of his own money after 2000 to exhume the grave, which had the tombstone that read "Jesse Woodson James" on it. He exhumed the grave under the monument but it was not Dalton's body in the grave. The body was that of a one-armed man named Henry Holland. Attempts to get another exhumation order from the judge to exhume the correct grave were unsuccessful. That's why Dalton/James' DNA has never been analyzed.
~Texas Jay

Attachments

• GranburytombstoneJesseWoodsonJames.jpg
    GranburytombstoneJesseWoodsonJames.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,362
OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okie, since you are what I called a Dalton naysayer in my earlier message, would you mind answering the question that I asked in that message which is: "I would like one of the Dalton/James naysayers to just once explain how the older Dalton just happened to have a long scar on the left side of his face that identically matches the scar on the left side of young Jesse James' face. They always sidestep that and other solid evidence that I believe proves that the man known as J. Frank Dalton was Jesse Woodson James. I guess they rightly think that explaining that Dalton cut his face so that he could pass as Jesse James wouldn't convince anyone."
~Texas Jay
By the way, the title to this thread was "More Proof...", not the only proof.

Attachments

• magarticle-Dalton-James.jpg
    magarticle-Dalton-James.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 720

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread