MUGWUMPS AND THE ORDER OF AMERICAN KNIGHTS

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
Is it possible that the MUGWUMPS were truly "Copperheads" coming out of the closet?

L.C.
A N D some are still in there today;
The Mugwumps were Republican political activists who bolted from the United States Republican Party by supportingDemocratic candidate Grover Cleveland in the United States presidential election of 1884. They switched parties because they rejected the financial corruption associated with Republican candidate James G. Blaine. In a close election, the Mugwumps supposedly made the difference in New York state and swung the election to Cleveland. The jocular word mugwump, noted as early as 1832, is from Algonquian (Natick) mugquomp, "important person, kingpin" (from mugumquomp, "war leader")[SUP][1][/SUP] implying that they were "sanctimonious" or "holier-than-thou,"[SUP][2][/SUP] in holding themselves aloof from party politics.

L.C. thats the first time I ever heard that word. thanks for posting it. Today I call them lizards. You walk by and they
change colors. but to answer your question, I have no proof but you are probably on the right trail again.
:coffee2: :coffee2: 2 cups will help.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a long list of names and a lot of information to wade through to find a connection to our guys in the O.A.K., but the truth is in the stack. If you have someone to tie them to in the middle of O.A.K. operations, it makes it easier, but still it's a long row to hoe!

Thanks for your interest, L.C.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
"A N D some are still in there today;"10claw

The truth would shock you, but the funny thing is, they did not consider theirselves O.A.K. at that time in history.......they just got too big too fast.

L.C.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions