Sons of Malta -

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone know of any direct tie ins between sons of Malta and KGC ? Both had filibuster agendas and I suspect were pretty much one and the same ..but have not found proof of that yet ..

A.L. Saunders was, however, a prominent figure in the subsequent attempts, starting in 1853, by John A. Quitman to organize an invasion of Cuba; this attempt started to fizzle out in 1854 after the Federal government took steps to more strictly enforce the 1818 Neutrality Act, making participating or investing in filibusters potentially riskier and less rewarding. Among these steps was a grand jury investigation of rumored preparations for filibuster invasions of Cuba before which Saunders (as well as Quitman and López associate John Sidney Thrasher, publisher of the New Orleans newspaper The Beacon of Cuba) refused to testify.
I think they were probably like the "Knights of the Golden Square" another lesser organization in the early fifties that would be absorbed eventually by the K.G.C. in the end. just my two cents, but they definitely were on the same page and had the same agenda and were involved with the same people and places.

L.C.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread