delcov

Greenie
Jun 3, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Lone Star by Bounty Hunter, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm completely new to treasure hunting. I read Brewer's KGC book a couple years ago and it came to the forefront of my mind when I saw *this* tree out in the woods while hiking with some friends. I've attached some pictures taken all around the tree.

There are what seem to be your standard teen love angst markings on the tree. However, there are also some strange symbols and I just wondered if anyone else thought there might be treasure markings here, whether KGC or otherwise.

Adam

Attachments

• 20150502_142135.jpg
    20150502_142135.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 413
  • 20150502_142147.jpg
    20150502_142147.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 234
  • 20150502_142200.jpg
    20150502_142200.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 180
  • 20150502_142209.jpg
    20150502_142209.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 200
  • 20150502_142217.jpg
    20150502_142217.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 299

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not much on tree signs. But in going and looking at some of the older threads about trees and marks on them I think I see several signs. There is a all seeing eye , and a heart those would have been K.G.C. symbols. Some of the others my old eyes can't make out. Think it is some kind of marker tree. Hopefully some one with more knowledge that me will come along and help you out. It might help if you could tell us what state it was found in. Remember Bickley ended up in the Indiana area. Treasure could have been hidden there.

Senior Deacon

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
Delcov, looks like a lot of clutter but also looks like about 2-4 carvings could be KGC. Since this looks to be close to a trail
the probability of determining the real signs is pretty slim unless you can get the photos to someone who is in
'' the business '' so to speak. If you think it worth your time, scout around where there is no trail. go on out for a couple hundred yards and check all the older trees and any rocks you find for more signs.

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10claw thanks for validating that did see something. The longer than I keep at this business the better I keep getting.

S.D.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I am not much on tree signs. But in going and looking at some of the older threads about trees and marks on them I think I see several signs. There is a all seeing eye , and a heart those would have been K.G.C. symbols. Some of the others my old eyes can't make out. Think it is some kind of marker tree. Hopefully some one with more knowledge that me will come along and help you out. It might help if you could tell us what state it was found in. Remember Bickley ended up in the Indiana area. Treasure could have been hidden there.

Senior Deacon

AGREE! BEECH Trees are WONDERFUL for "Signs"...

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
Delcov, make sure you get all the photos you think you might need. The Beech trees I have seen are pretty old gentlemen but when they die they disappear really fast. They are different from other trees that die, or the few that I was working went super fast.
Rebel is correct as they are preferred by the sign maker. Magnolia is a good one too. Alabama is blessed with both.

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
Delcov if you find signs on the ground like rocks with markings or if you are a metal detector don't move anything from the ground because they may be clues pointing a direction.

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
Also Delcov don't look at hearts carved on old trees for teen love, many times they are not anything to do with love. When I found treasurenet back in late 2010 it was on a research project on John Murrell that led to tree carvings here in Louisiana. The young man that posted had found tree carvings and also metal detected around the tree and dug up a rifle that he brought home. The tree carving experts here on treasurenet told him that he made a big mistake because the rifle was probably was pointing in the direction of another clue or to the intended target.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Indiana

"During the American Civil War, some Southern sympathizers in the Northern states such as Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, and Iowa, were accused of belonging to the Knights of the Golden Circle, and in some cases they were imprisoned for their activities."

There is no doubt the K.G.C. was in Indiana. Both Indiana (1816) and Illinois (1818) abolished slavery by their constitutions. BUT both followed the Ohio policy of trying to prevent black immigration by passing laws *requiring blacks who moved into the state to produce legal documents verifying that they were free and posting bond to guarantee their good behavior. The bond requirements ranged as high as $1,000, which was prohibitive for a black American in those days. Anti-immigration legislation passed in Illinois in 1819, 1829, and 1853. In Indiana, such laws were enacted in 1831 and 1852.

Indiana No Negro Law

* The K.G.C.'s political manipulation undermined the judiciary system and the credibility of the law which in turn transforms the judicial system.....or, BLINDFOLDING justice.8-)

L.C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
delcov

delcov

Greenie
Jun 3, 2015
Indianapolis, IN
Detector(s) used
Lone Star by Bounty Hunter, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want to thank everyone for the excellent advice and information. As I said, I'm very new to this. Unfortunately, this tree is not close to where I live, though it IS in Indiana. I do not own a metal detector, though I may purchase one soon. I will continue to evaluate this and let you know if I discover anything. Any continued discussion or insight is welcome.

Thanks,
Adam

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread