OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I've dealt with Wyuka before on a family member buried there...Go over to their other cemetery where they have the office and records and have them show you... I'd make an appointment cause sometimes the right person isn't there.

You could also get ahold of her descendents and see what they have. Like I mentioned the Coopers are involved as of 2009 anyway... the cemetery would probably have their contact information or go on Ancestry to get it.

Kace

It would be something to see for sure if they dug it up.:hello2: But first they will have to FIND her!

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have seen a photo of a man that I believe was a "sentinel" over a very large treasure. He was sitting with his wife at his side. He had one had with the back of the hand showing across his chest. I saw writing on this hand. It said something similar to what LC quotes. Something about the light has gone out of his life. I believe that is a sign that the treasure has been removed and/or used up.

Ive seen old photos with some symbol or writing on the back of men's hands as well. I associated it with a group... I hadn't heard about treasure related markings like that. Interesting.

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
It would be something to see for sure if they dug it up.:hello2: But first they will have to FIND her!

I'd Definitely Be There For That....Not quite as exciting as JWJ exhumation but pretty close!

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I stand corrected, Thanks. However, there is still no record of the woman being entered into lot #212-02 unless she was cremated and sprinkled. As far as I know, it has never been moved since Morton Placed it over Gantt in 1882 about one month before Jesse James's reported death.

I'm confused...There is a record for her #OG-212-02. Original Grave-Plot 212-2nd Burial under that marker.

CJ Gantt doesn't have OG

That's why I asked who ok'd that move of Gantt....Morton as you've shown did that, not Mrs. Gantt...He could of, but didn't have her name inscribed without a death date and for whatever reason..cost, distance of family, lack of communication between parties, it was never done. But it's filed as she is there.

Kace

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Cross persuaded one of his customers, John A. Rowe of Danville, Va., who was also in the monument business, to move to Bedford. Together they established Cross & Rowe Monumental Works, specializing in monuments cut from hard, dark blue Bedford stone that took an excellent polish.

They employed 35 men.

When President Harrison proclaimed Chicago as the site for the World's Colombian Exposition, Cross and Rowe were asked to furnish enough rustic stone carvings for an exhibit.

BUT!!!!!!!

John A. Rowe of Danville............NO Oak monument? https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/86176412

Leads me to believe that those Cross O.A.K.s are for special places, not special people.

L.C.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Cross persuaded one of his customers, John A. Rowe of Danville, Va., who was also in the monument business, to move to Bedford. Together they established Cross & Rowe Monumental Works, specializing in monuments cut from hard, dark blue Bedford stone that took an excellent polish.

They employed 35 men.

When President Harrison proclaimed Chicago as the site for the World's Colombian Exposition, Cross and Rowe were asked to furnish enough rustic stone carvings for an exhibit.

BUT!!!!!!!

John A. Rowe of Danville............NO Oak monument? https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/86176412

Leads me to believe that those Cross O.A.K.s are for special places, not special people.

L.C.

Do you happen to have a photo of the Cross Monument Logo on the Morton monument?

Kace

PS...I'd have to look at the WOW et al databases unless franklin or Reb chimes in, but I was thinking about this and wondered if there were many OAK monuments out that way? The reason I say that is in my travels and walking cemeteries I've noticed that certain types of stone do not weather as well in some parts of the country as other parts. That's nothing new obviously as in the 1800's in this part of the world, a lot of sandstone was used and has held up well for the most part...but other types of monuments that have the look and feel of Portland cement do not hold up as well and seem to erode in the lettering. It takes a lot to bring them back.

Anyone in the monument business especially those who ship would know what was good for that climate.

I think what you're thinking is pretty interesting and would make sense in following trails. Hidden In Plain Site...Who would notice? lol!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm confused...There is a record for her #OG-212-02. Original Grave-Plot 212-2nd Burial under that marker.

CJ Gantt doesn't have OG

That's why I asked who ok'd that move of Gantt....Morton as you've shown did that, not Mrs. Gantt...He could of, but didn't have her name inscribed without a death date and for whatever reason..cost, distance of family, lack of communication between parties, it was never done. But it's filed as she is there.

Kace

The book in city Hall had nothing for her at lot 212, it had her listed in the old Gantt lot 438 or 448 I think it was. When we went to Wyuka they could not locate the original Gantt plots and had no record of it besides his original enterment. Sometime after that they fixed up the computor pages and you now see the woman has a plot and a NEW number.

L.C.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
The book in city Hall had nothing for her at lot 212, it had her listed in the old Gantt lot 438 or 448 I think it was. When we went to Wyuka they could not locate the original Gantt plots and had no record of it besides his original enterment. Sometime after that they fixed up the computor pages and you now see the woman has a plot and a NEW number.

L.C.

Very, Very Strange! Now you got me wondering what's up with her... we know Morton didn't do anything with her, but don't have information that she was physically interred with him although on file she's in two different places?? Your numbers and the ones I found. Supposedly she died in Omaha.

Kace

I'll see if I can find a contact for her family. This is a mystery for sure.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Here's a close up of the Morton "family tree" monument .. specifically the section at the bottom for "Emma Morton"

Cross3.png

looks like:
F.O. Cross
[ I can't make out the second mason's name]
Chicago"

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Very, Very Strange! Now you got me wondering what's up with her... we know Morton didn't do anything with her, but don't have information that she was physically interred with him although on file she's in two different places?? Your numbers and the ones I found. Supposedly she died in Omaha.

Kace

I'll see if I can find a contact for her family. This is a mystery for sure.

Yes, she died in Douglas County. His first wife came with him to Saratoga, Nebraska and she died there also, so you know how confusion happens with records sometimes it is possible that wife two died in Otoe County at Nebraska City. He returned home and married his second wife who was the lady taking care of his kids back home when he came West with the first wife! She may have even been the sister of his first wife, I would have to read the story again to be sure. I read the letters he sent home to his daughters who he was not keen on bringing West. He always seemed to be telling them "When I get the money to bring you two out here I will" (A good clue that he was not K.G.C.). Then when he did finally get the money for the trip, he sent it to them and they came West alone on the stagecoach. Saratoga went bankrupt and left him holding the sack on the lots they were selling. It went well for them until the Missouri River flooded and when it went back down it moved two miles from the Saratoga development. At that time Omaha was just a tent city with one or two buildings, but overnight it began to bloom into the next boomtown. Saratoga went away and they sold the college building that had already been built there to somebody else. It is now a suburb of Omaha called Florance. Not the side of town to be hanging out in after dark.....or at noon for that matter!8-) That is where his first wife is buried. If you have never been there, it is well worth the trip. Famous Burials - Prospect Hill Cemetery
Lot of history there. Best to go on a Sunday.

L.C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you happen to have a photo of the Cross Monument Logo on the Morton monument?

Kace

PS...I'd have to look at the WOW et al databases unless franklin or Reb chimes in, but I was thinking about this and wondered if there were many OAK monuments out that way? The reason I say that is in my travels and walking cemeteries I've noticed that certain types of stone do not weather as well in some parts of the country as other parts. That's nothing new obviously as in the 1800's in this part of the world, a lot of sandstone was used and has held up well for the most part...but other types of monuments that have the look and feel of Portland cement do not hold up as well and seem to erode in the lettering. It takes a lot to bring them back.

Anyone in the monument business especially those who ship would know what was good for that climate.

I think what you're thinking is pretty interesting and would make sense in following trails. Hidden In Plain Site...Who would notice? lol!

They used other markers as well, not just the Oaks, that would have made it too easy. They also use other things besides tombstones on this trail. Some have a twist to them that takes a keen eye to notice and a full understanding to translate. Even then you have to have every point you have negotiated along the way to succeed at the next and so on. Can anyone say "What ever you are searching for is not as important as each point achieved along the way" in Latin? 8-)
What is this tree saying.jpg
kgctree.jpg

L.C.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
TR Center - Letter from Paul Morton to Theodore Roosevelt

TR Center - ImageViewer

TR Center - Letter from Theodore Roosevelt to Paul Morton
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer..._States/_Topics/history/_Texts/OGTRMN/2*.html

Love this part. "For example, in 1904 Paul Morton was made Secretary of the Navy largely to give American businessmen a representative in the Cabinet."

But they didn't pull the wool over everyone's eyes! https://www.marxists.org/archive/debs/works/1907/1907-roosevelt.htm

If Debs had known about Morton's father in the K.G.C. and his membership in the O.A.K. he would have been foaming at the mouth! LOL!

L.C.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread