KGC Flag

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only know Texas flag honoring the KGC, flag 001.JPG IMAGE4.jpg Made in 1858 and presented to George Chilton for local militia use. The Third Texas Cavalry also know as the South Texas-Kansas Regiment fought at Wilson's Creek and Oak Hill and later with Ross Texas Cavalry east of the Mississippi. The Flag is in the Smith County (Tyler) Historical Museum.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If I ever get down that way again, that's one museum I wanna see!! Thanks for posting this! :thumbsup:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are ever in the Springfield, MO, area, I highly recommend this Civil War museum:

https://www.nps.gov/wicr/planyourvisit/civil-war-museum.htm

I believe the cemetery there is one of the few, if not the only one, with known Union and Confederate soldiers buried at the same site.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

There are Union and Confederate soldiers buried in every National Cemetery. Sometimes the battles were so fierce they could not tell whether Union or Confederate Soldiers. There are three Confederate Soldiers buried in Danville Virginia National Cemetery. The tomb of the Unknown Soldier has body parts both Union and Confederate Soldiers. They are all recognized as Veterans of War by the US Government only they are not treated as such.

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have seen this flag in the Longview journal article. I have to make the short trip to see it one day soon. Tyler had a large gun works during the civil war. They both made and repair muskets it was then brought to Jefferson, Texas to be shipped out by riverboat to New Orleans. Jefferson still has one of the old powder magazines that was use at that time. They had a number of them back in the 1870's most were torn apart and the bricks used for some of the buildings in town. Only one was saved. The gun powder was from the powder mill at Marshall.

Senior Deacon

OP
OP
etex

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have seen this flag in the Longview journal article. I have to make the short trip to see it one day soon. Tyler had a large gun works during the civil war. They both made and repair muskets it was then brought to Jefferson, Texas to be shipped out by riverboat to New Orleans. Jefferson still has one of the old powder magazines that was use at that time. They had a number of them back in the 1870's most were torn apart and the bricks used for some of the buildings in town. Only one was saved. The gun powder was from the powder mill at Marshall.

Senior Deacon

The April Garrett hunt to be held in Jefferson will be out in that vicinity

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
There are Union and Confederate soldiers buried in every National Cemetery. Sometimes the battles were so fierce they could not tell whether Union or Confederate Soldiers. There are three Confederate Soldiers buried in Danville Virginia National Cemetery. The tomb of the Unknown Soldier has body parts both Union and Confederate Soldiers. They are all recognized as Veterans of War by the US Government only they are not treated as such.

I thought this was an interesting and very sobering read. https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...47e45e6f8ef_story.html?utm_term=.31f2f251f0b2

L.C.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions