The Curse of Civil War Gold

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just watched the first episode of this new show by the History Channel and I've got to be honest. I can't take anything with Mary Lagina or Gawy Dwatin seriously ever again.

These fools walked out into a farm field talking about how it has been cleared and plowed ever since the Civil War. They have 4 metal detectors, but make it sound like only Gary's CTX3030 can find nonferrous metals, and it can find a coin at 3 feet deep (ALL BULLSHIT). They flag a dozen or so targets then roll out into the field with an EXCAVATOR to dig.

At this point I'm getting irritated, but wait there's more!

They use this excavator to dig a target, then Gary's super duper CTX3030 with a coil the size of a car tire can't find the target in the "plug", if you still want to call it that. Eventually they find a square nut that was probably 2" below the surface. Then they do it again and find a HEX Head bolt. Anyone who knows anything knows those were used on damn near everything, especially PLOWS, and hex head bolts weren't mass produced until the 1880's! But these crackers insist this is conclusive evidence that there were 6 wagons full of gold burned there... huh? On top of that Gary Drayton says the bolts are "period" because if they were from the 1920's or so they would have already rusted away. (And this guy calls himself an expert)

Now my blood pressure is in the red.

Then they dig another target and pull up what looks like a bent penny that's been hit by a lawnmower. Gary grabs it rubs it one time, claims he sees starts and declares it's a Confederate silver coin, then does a big dramatic double fist pump and cheer. This is considered proof that the Confederates dumped barrels of Confederate silver coins in the ground but missed one when they recovered them. But at no point prior to this has anyone mentioned silver. Ironically they never actually show the coin after cleaning or anything that looks like silver.

One episode and I can already tell you this is another Lagina/Drayton Schidt Show where they find a bunch of NOTHING.

Come on History Channel, I love a good Treasure Hunt and Shows about hunting treasure, but these guys make those of us who do this stuff for real look bad and lose out on good opportunities because landowners think we're going to destroy their property using heavy equipment to dig and get rich at their expense.

I can't watch this garbage.

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROFL. I'm with you. Excavator, huh? I've found more gold on top of the ground than these guys will find with any kind of equipment. BTW I don't watch any of it. The treasure shows are all about them making a buck, not about any real treasure.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yah, and one more thing....

When they were talking about the KGC at the beginning when they were talking about their years of research, they never mentioned Albert Pike who was one of the most prominent figures of the KGC.

SMH

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KGC. Wrong name. Might as well name it KFC, extra crispy. Most of the treasure legends are garbage. The REAL ones are where grandpa buried $100 in silver face under the fence post. THOSE tend to be real. I have found four caches in my time. None were worth tons, though. One was Lincoln memorials. Oh well. One was a grouping of colonial coppers, probably buried under a fence post, the other two were smallish amounts of old silver.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KGC. Wrong name. Might as well name it KFC, extra crispy. Most of the treasure legends are garbage. The REAL ones are where grandpa buried $100 in silver face under the fence post. THOSE tend to be real. I have found four caches in my time. None were worth tons, though. One was Lincoln memorials. Oh well. One was a grouping of colonial coppers, probably buried under a fence post, the other two were smallish amounts of old silver.

100% agree with Smokey! I met a guy that explained his best buddy's grandfather had Gold buried for him and his two brothers, but he unfortunately died in a tractor accident. I offered to help search but never heard back.

OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
100% agree with Smokey! I met a guy that explained his best buddy's grandfather had Gold buried for him and his two brothers, but he unfortunately died in a tractor accident. I offered to help search but never heard back.

I too am skeptical about most treasure legends, but I suggest you guys read the book "Shadow of the Sentinel". There have been several caches of KGC gold found, some of them right here in Arkansas. Believe it or not I was turned on to this book by an Archeologist.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions