Treasures of the Knights Templar - Conspiracy Theories!

The Frenchman

Oct 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possible Location of the Treasure

When Jacques Cartier, on his second voyage in 1535 to what is now the province of Quebec, when visiting the inlet of what is now called the Saguenay river, he was told by the two sons of the native chief, Donnacona, that there was a kingdom that existed of blond haired white men in the place they called Saguenay. These white men bore valuable jewels and possessed great material wealth.

It is said that the name Saguenay comes from the Iroquois word “Saki nip” meaning “where water flows out”, yet there is no hard proof of the origin of the name, while most native names for areas in North America have solid proof as to their origins. It is possible that the name Saguenay was not native in origin, but rather a variation of the name provided by the white people they were speaking of. The words “Sa Gagne” translates “it won”, or “did win”. In a poem by Wolfram von Eschenbach in the year 1210, when he corrects the original author of the grail story, Chretien of Troyes, he uses the words “Did win” to describe obtaining the grail. Sa Gagne and Saguenay are almost identical in pronunciation.

If these people of Saguenay did in fact exist at some point in time, one would think that they would be of Viking heritage, but if so, why did they leave no trace of their existence behind them? The only explanation would be that they did not want future settlers to know they had been there and were perhaps living there as fugitives.

No proof of mining by pre-Columbian European settlers exists in the region, so if they did in fact exist, where did all their gold and silver treasures, which Donnacona spoke of, come from?
Donnacona, with such a high position of leader of the Stradacona, was not likely to be insane or making this story up. The story would have been passed on through oral tradition. It is difficult to believe a story about people with real European characteristics could have been invented considering the people of the area would have had no exposure to white people otherwise, and it would have been just as likely that they would have claimed that they were blue or green, had they been making the story up.

Since Viking settlements in North America in pre-Columbian times were left there, rather than covered up, it is doubtful that these were Vikings and more likely to be people living in somewhat secrecy, such as fugitives.

Donnacona was taken to France, where he shared tales of the “Golden Kingdom of Saguenay”” with the King of France, and continued to profess of its once existence until he died of scurvy 1539.
Due to unusually cold temperatures of 1307, when the Templars are suspected to have set sail with treasures from the port of La Rochelle, the Templars would have likely taken the Canary Current southward (this would be the same time that numerous visits by European sailors began to be made to the Canary Islands) and continued along the North Equatorial Current towards North America. They then likely followed the Gulf Stream up the coast of North America where they finally entered the St. Lawrence inlet where the Labrador Current intersects with the Gulf Stream, making it very difficult to travel further north.

While in what is now the Quebec region of Saguenay, they may have hidden the treasure to keep it away from the Europeans who had knowledge of it, at which time they were witnessed by the local natives of the area. They likely did not stay long enough to build permanent lodgings, and likely did not want to leave a trace of their visit there, in order to secure the safety of the hidden treasure.
The Templars were then likely to continue along the what becomes the North Atlantic Current from the Gulf Stream towards the U.K., specifically Scotland. In the Rosslyn Chapel of the Templar family of Sinclair, there are depictions of fauna which would only be found in North America, such as Aloe and Maize, which is likely evidence that the Templars had indeed visited North America, since the carvings are pre-Columbian in date.

Curiously enough, the late Billionaire Paul Desmarais, who was born in Sudbury, Ontario and for the most part, built his business out of Montreal, purchased a large parcel of land and built his famous estate close to the entrance of the Saguenay River in the area of Sagard, Quebec (I encourage you to look it up on the internet... it has the appearance of a royal French palace). The surname of Desmarais comes from the royal bloodline of Baldwin I of Jerusalem, who’s family (DesMarets which later became Desmarais) ruled Jerusalem during the occupation of the crusades. I can only speculate that Mr. Desmarais chose this location due to its beauty and seclusion, but perhaps there exists a connection that we are unaware of. Paul Desmarais was highly, and I mean HIGHLY influential in both Canadian and global politics (aside from being close to all Canadian prime ministers, he was a very close friend of Nicolas Sarkozy and many other major players in global power).

Another connection might be in the names of the lakes along the Saguenay River. For instance, on the southern side of the river exists a lake by the name of Lac Clairval (location 48.295937, -71.172936). Val is the French word for valley or dale and can also be worded as Vaux, this is the same name as Bernard de Clairvaux. Perhaps this is a clue to where the treasure is buried.

Hope this helps.

The Frenchman

Oct 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lac Clairval was probably named by Jesuit monks, who were the first known Europeans to really venture into the forested region in order to convert natives to Christianity. The most I could find about the naming of the lake was the following on a Quebec government website:

“A local informant justified the name of the lake Clairval, both the transparency of its waters and its location in a small depression”..... So it seems the government does not even know the origins of the name.

A Google satellite picture or Google earth picture of Lac Clairval which shows that there is something on the bottom of the lake that appears man-made, and it appears to be on top of a small mound at the bottom of the lake.

The ship which carried the Recollect Friars (Jesuit monks) who went into the forested region and may have named the lake, travelled aboard a ship by the name of the St. Etienne (research Denis Jamet). St. Etienne was the patron saint of the Ark, and holds a special place with the Templars (see Tobias Daniel Wabbel's book about the Templars). Sagard is named after a Recollect Friar by the name of Théodat-Gabriel who was given the name Sagard. Sa Gard means to guard or watch over, or to be in custody something. This is the entry region of the Saguenay inlet. I'm not certain if it means anything, but it is interesting.

The Frenchman

Oct 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone out there live near this lake? I live in Ottawa, which is a 2 day drive and I am not able to check it out for myself. Also, after looking at the lake in Google earth or satellite, does anyone have any opinions of what the object appears to be? To me it looks as like the side of a wall of some sort.

John_Arizona

Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Spanish Death Rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Since your talking about the Knights Templar, I would like to add my photos I took while in Portugal in August.
1010481_1463000080591455_76804665547487339_n.jpg 1610814_1463000067258123_593093985121989112_n.jpg 1897937_1463000000591463_1316876791760931219_n.jpg 10653589_1462999990591464_1022173115062508606_n.jpg 10653719_1463000013924795_537458664646815300_n.jpg
additional information:
Belém Tower
The tower stood on an island in the middle of the River Tagus until the course of the river was diverted by an earthquake in 1777; the tower had previously survived the 1755 Lisbon earthquake. It is classified by UNESCO as World Heritage site.

The Torre de Belem was designed by Diogo and Francisco Arruda in the Manueline style - it is, in fact, Portugal's only example of a purely Manueline building.

Among the decorations featured on the tower are Manuel's badge of honour (an armillary sphere) and a cross of the military Order of Christ (the successor organization to the Knights Templar in Portugal), who participated in many Portuguese conquests.

The tower has seen use as a prison, both by Spanish conquerors and by Dom Miguel (1828-1834).

In 1807, French troops destroyed the top two storeys, but these were later rebuilt.

Within the tower, visitors can see the dungeons or enter the "whispering gallery", as well as climb up to a 35 m high platform which offers views of the Padrao dos Descobrimentos.

The tower was the departure point for explorers to the rest of the world in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.

Last edited:

Mother Superior

Jan 18, 2017
Quebec city
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone out there live near this lake? I live in Ottawa, which is a 2 day drive and I am not able to check it out for myself. Also, after looking at the lake in Google earth or satellite, does anyone have any opinions of what the object appears to be? To me it looks as like the side of a wall of some sort.

Hey Frenchman,
I was born and raised in Jonquiere in the Saguenay region, I live in Quebec city now but that's only 2 hours away (it's a 7 hours drive from Ottawa to Saguenay). I am familiar with the lake you have been pointing out, its shores are (conveniently enough) private proprety. The man who owns the whole lot is a very rich man, he built himself a gated domain named "My Father's Domain" and resides in some sort of mansion on the eastern shore of the lake (you can easily spot the whole thing on google map). The domain is completely closed off, the owner has got his very own population of elks introduced to the lands as game (gives you an idea of the man's wealth). I can't remember his name of how he made his fortune though, I gotta go see my mother in Chicoutimi in two weeks, she used to be kind of a big deal in the area and knows lots of people so I'll see what she knows. I'll be keeping you guys posted (if anyone still reads this...).

The object at the bottom of the lake could be the mast of a small sail boat, with the boat itself lying underneath the mound. Hard to tell, but something's definitely there.

Mother Superior

Jan 18, 2017
Quebec city
Primary Interest:
Other
While looking at google maps, it dawned on me how strategicaly placed lac clairval is: it is right along the portage route the Kakoutchak Innus used to travel between Piekuagami (Lake Saint-Jean, source of the Saguenay river) and Tadoussac, where they would travel to trade with europeans and other tribes before that. When going up the Saguenay river coming from the Saint-Lawrence, the Kakoutchak Innus would land at present day Chicoutimi to start their portage, the river becoming much shallower and agitated after this point. They would then follow the Chicoutimi river south-west all the way to its source at the foot of the Laurentians: Lake Kenogami. They would then navigate the long and narrow lake all the way to its end and start portaging again towards the Lac Vert. Then they would leave the lake either on foot or through a small stream towards the Belle river, which empties in the lake Saint-Jean near present day Saint-Gédéon. If you look at where Lac Clairval is placed, you will realize it is right aside the upper Chicoutimi river almost where lake Kenogami starts. In fact, Lac Clairval and Lac de la Cave both exist because they accumulate the water from a small stream originating from lake Kenogami, before emptying their content in the Chicoutimi river through a small tream right at the north-east end of Lac Clairval. This lake is right next to where the first visitors to the region would have passed when accompanying Kakoutchak Innus...

The Frenchman

Oct 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mother Superior. It's been a while since I looked into this further since I live so far from the lake and have no way of getting there due to work, family etc.

The object at the bottom of the lake appears to be on a round structure which once existed on a sunken peninsula on the lake. It is about the size and shape of a Templar temple.

The structure which appears to at the bottom of Lac Clairval could be the result of a sinkhole. An article from the NJN Network stated the following about the area:
“The river valley the great St. Lawrence River was once an sea. Fine Leda clay settled on the floor as the last ice age receded leaving a flat and rich soil of dense, fine clay. When you drive through Quebec along the south side of the St. Lawrence River, the small mountains rise from the relatively flat valley. This geography dominates the Rive Sud from the river to the mountains near the US border. Leda clay is also found along the banks of the Ottawa and Saguenay Rivers.

The soil is gray Leda clay that packs hard until it gets wet enough. Then it runs like soup. New housing construction is at risk from rain when foundation holes can suddenly collapse. It happens often but risk of sink holes happens less often.

The clay can be liquefied from surface water such as rain and run-off. The more difficult problem lies in underground streams that can erode the ground above them without warning”.

The article also included a picture of a sinkhole, which if occurred along the Saguenay River, would quickly become flooded and form a small lake. Over time, sediment would begin to cover the structures left at the bottom of the lake, and it is possible that, should these structures, if made out of dense materials such as rock and stone, could sink further into the soil below the lake.

Such a landslide may explain why Desceliers’ 1550’s map shows that aside from a small portion of covering land, the river branching away from the Saguenay river was once one long river, but a modern satellite image shows a large land mass now separating the river which is no longer considered a river (the connecting water to the Saguenay river is now considered a part of the Saguenay river which on it’s border, the city La Baie -- French for The Bay -- was established, and the tail section of the former river is now considered a lake, bearing the name Lac-Kenogami). You should check out an image of Desceliers' map and compare it to a modern map.

On Desceliers' map, there is a fort like structure pretty much exactly where Lac Clairval is located as well as sickly looking humans which appear as impoverished Europeans would have looked at the time the map was constructed. This is pure speculation, but if we take into account the possibility that the white people of the Saguenay legend once lived in the region of the branched off river, which we discuss above, as possibly being covered by a landslide, they could have become homeless and become savage woods people who eventually become victim to the harsh climates of the region which caused their eventual extinction or assimilation into the new European settlements being established. The last of these people may have been encountered by an informant to Descaliers.

Another feature which appears further inland is the unicorn, which was symbolic for Jesus, meaning this land had some biblical significance to the map maker or his informants. Another unicorn appears further to the south of the unicorn.

This could all be nothing, but it really gets my curiosity going.

Map vs. Map.png

Descaliers.png

Sinkhole.jpg

Lac Clairval Structure Defined.png

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_moved_over.gif
I moved ya from OAK ISLAND over to our newly formed FORUM > TREASURE HUNTING > TREASURE LEGENDS > THE KNIGHT'S TEMPLAR.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread