OP
OP
cptbil

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Ok!
I am going back thru this Forum and take down the names ::) of youse guys who have said that you'd like to go!
I'll give you my email address and a little more info.
If you are still interested in going, you can let me know!
If Mr. Gollum doesn't get stuck in his hole, he'll either be there or perhaps want a little help on his site?
It's fairly close by!
Think it over,
I am planning about March sometime?
But!
Nothing's in stone!
So!
If you need a different date/time bring it up !
We can get pretty close in, by 4x4 or a tuff truck!!
I'll get a couple of topo maps and check!
You/we'll need to have plenty of water !

Diamond Spike

Jan 26, 2005
Alabama
Guys/Gals let us know how it went when you get back. I'd love to hear each one of your takes on the hunt.

Keep us posted! And stay safe 8)

HH
Diamond Spike

Mr.Adventure

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2006
Cool, this expedition sounds interesting for sure.

Is it all filled up or is there room for one more? I would love to go.

What is the criteria? And what would be required? Other than good hand eye coordination and the ability to withstand the heat?

I am very interested.

Thanks

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BILL, (or any other knowledgable THer)

I have just finished reading Bernal Diaz' ( one of the Conquistadores) "The Discovery and Conquest of Mexico." and there was no mention of a vast treasure being carted off, although the take by Cortez was relatively small. What references are there that discuss the relocated treasure of Montezuma. Based on the story, he would not have had much time to gather it up and ship it out. Is there a written history?

What is the source of the rumor of "Montezumas' Gold"?

BobinSD

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
BobinSD,
There is no documentation of this 'legend'. There are any number of 'knowledable' sources who place the hoard all over the map - NM, UT, AZ, CA, TX, CO, MX, etc. A search of the 'literature' will give you lots of exciting options, but the 'Montezuma's Treasure' premise has its life only in TH books, magazines, pulp fiction and internet websites and forums. This 'legend' is supported by a variety of wishful thinkers, dreamers and attention seekers, yes, but no one yet has provided any pre-20th century 'documentation'. While I personally believe there is a direct link between the Aztecs and some intriguing North American sites (some maybe very gold-rich), I am yet to be convinced that the 'Montezuma's Treasure' story as we know it has any validity. Show me something other than TH magazine articles.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. The fact that the Aztecs had no pack animals with which to carry heavy items makes it difficult to believe that a bunch of poor indians would backpack across 1000 miles of hostile terrain with scarce water to hide gold (which had minimal value to them). I don't think they had even invented the wheel yet.
Especially questionable since Montezuma had already been killed. If there was anything left over, I think the Jesuits would have eventually found it through their indian "converts". Religion at its finest.

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
cptbil said:
Ok!
I am going back thru this Forum and take down the names ::) of youse guys who have said that you'd like to go!
I'll give you my email address and a little more info.
If you are still interested in going, you can let me know!
If Mr. Gollum doesn't get stuck in his hole, he'll either be there or perhaps want a little help on his site?
It's fairly close by!
Think it over,
I am planning about March sometime?
But!
Nothing's in stone!
So!
If you need a different date/time bring it up !
We can get pretty close in, by 4x4 or a tuff truck!!
I'll get a couple of topo maps and check!
You/we'll need to have plenty of water !
Hey Bill almost the end of march what happed to this trip and the other ones that you said that you had planed I got a few things in the fire can't afford to waste my time SOOOOOOOOOOO Buck

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marc said:
I thought the Aztecs supposedly hid a massive amount of treasure in the area of "The Seven Caves"? Near their homeland "Azatlan", in an area where they first farmed with "chinampas". (where there were shallow wetlands) hmm, wait until I reveal what I know! ;)

If your area doesn't include these features, I guess you are in the wrong area - but I would still be interested in where you are looking!

Marc

p.s. This winter a recovery will be made! (YES!) :)

An area that might be worth looking at is from the North of the Salton Sea down to the Gulf of California. Every so often, the Colorado River would jump it's tracks and flood this whole area, turning it into a shallow sea with a lot of wetlands surrounding it. This is also the basis for the Spanish Pearl Galleon Story.

OP
OP
cptbil

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Gollum:
AHH! :P
AHH! :-\
That's where my location is!
You're giving away the location, to anyone whose a good researcher!
GOOD RESEARCHer![/b]
OH! Wow! ;D
I guess we're safe! :P
;) No One Likes To Read any more! :D
PS:
Change that date (March!)that I was supposed to be out there until sometime in MAY!????

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
cptbil said:
Gollum:
AHH! :P
AHH! :-\
That's where my location is!
You're giving away the location, to anyone whose a good researcher!
GOOD RESEARCHer![/b]
OH! Wow! ;D
I guess we're safe! :P
;) No One Likes To Read any more! :D
PS:
Change that date (March!)that I was supposed to be out there until sometime in MAY!????
??? ??? :'( :'( :'(

Buck

Jun 30, 2003
arizona
Nope The Last I looked I did not have two nickels to rub together but I got my health and my little hunterdog what more do I need ??? ???nuff said Buck

OP
OP
cptbil

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Buck !
How's the weather/terrain south of Tucson ?
It looks like I'll be washed out in New Mexico !
And!
Two of my sites along the Central Az/NM Border.
The area I would like to hit in So. Ariz. is about 20 miles NW of Nogales..

OP
OP
cptbil

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
PhotoTJ:
I, certainly hope, that you are nor under any kind of illusions..
That Once you know the general area of a Treasure that you just run out there and load it into your Jeep!
Mel Fisher knew that he was on top of the Atocha..
But!
It took the DEATHS of three people and ten years before he was able to "load Up" any treasure at all!
Now!
If you'd like to help me to speed up the process, I can really use some armed security down there!
It is a "hot bed" of illegal activies!
I have heard auto weapons, in a fire fight, not a mile from one of my camps!
So!
When you volunteer, (& u'll rec' a share) make sure that you are well armed and ready to use it !
When can I expect your reply ?

OP
OP
cptbil

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
HowSo:
Would you clarify your "post" ? of April 17.
Are you asking for help ?
ie:
My drilling rig/camera ?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[=bobinsd The fact that the Aztecs had no pack animals with which to carry heavy items makes it difficult to believe that a bunch of poor Indians would backpack across 1000 miles of hostile terrain with scarce water to hide gold (which had minimal value to them). I don't think they had even invented the wheel yet.
Especially questionable since Montezuma had already been killed. If there was anything left over, I think the Jesuits would have eventually found it through their Indian "converts". Religion at its finest.
And what makes you sure that the masters of secrecy "didn't"? hmmmm

As for packing the materiel to who knows where, they did a fair job of packing the building materiel for their cities etc. Labor was unimportant then, just conscript whatever you needed, they even had to feed themselves (families).

As to its value, it WAS important then, this is why they mined it all over Mexico. As a matter of fact, one very important seed was measured in it's weight in Gold. Now known as Quilite, then as Amaranth.

The existence and location of the Tayopa legend was concealed so well that the Jesuits themselves could not refind it after the Indian uprising was quelled. Of course the Indians helped by destroying much of the evidence of the actual mines. They returned to the area, but never again worked the Tayopa mines.

Tropical Tramp

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe that seed was high grade cannabis?

I don't know the relationship between the Aztecs and Tayopa which was much further north and much later, I think.

Also, the cities were there much before the Aztecs arrived if I recall correctly. The original inhabitants were driven south so that they would lose their hearts.

Did you know that the Aztecs in Tenochitlan had a zoo, with animals fed with refuse from the sacrifices (the parts the gods didn't like). :P

The snakes were described as having "bells on their tails" by Bernard (sp?).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions