Kokoweef

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
Is there a serious TH'er? ????? who would like to do some Research & Searching for
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? KoKoWeef ?
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?;)? I am going to try a different approach!? ::)
I know all of the Current Legends and locations, etc..
But!
As far as I know, I believe that I have come up with something ? that has? ?not!? ? been tried!? ? ;)
If you have an interest and have done YOUR! research...
? :o And! You'd like to or you want to, try for the cavern... :o
? :-X Contact me!
? ? ? Let's pool our resources
I'll be out there searching this spring/summer!

tammahawk

Mar 8, 2005
cptbil said:
Geronimo:
? ;D? Great!? ?;D
I'll contact you at your email address!
To see if we both have the same idea!? ?::)
what are these arches you are refering to? and the story behind them? ???, this is a new subject for me?

OP
OP
cptbil

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
tamm...:
Just type in, Kokoweef
I have "Yahoo" as a search engine.
It takes me right to all sorts of sites about Kokoweef!
Kokoweef is, a large gold filled underground river, in a huge cavern system in So. Ca.'s Mojave Desert!
SW. of Las Vegas!

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who knows how much of it is true?

As far as scamming folks thats not true.?

The reason they dug pointless holes in the top (as Judy h put it) was due to the fact that the original opening into the cavern system was near the top of the mountain.? And you had to crawl down a rope ladder to access the point where Dorrs name was found written on the wall.

It was impossible to get equipment into that open do to it's location so a tunnel was punched into the side mountain in order gain access to the natural open which of course went down into the mountain.

Via that tunnel, the claim owners were able to gain access to the aforementioned place where Dorr name was found.

A second tunnel was blasted into the mountain on the opposite side in hopes of accessing the descending cave system with less work and expense.?

IE. blasting powder, caps,? dynamite and fuel for the generators, LHD's jackhammers, air lines, air compressors, safety equipment,? water trucks, and of course protecting the environment all cost money..

As I mentioned in another post on the subjct of? Kokoweef we could just have an inch of rock wall standing between us and and the main cavern tunnel? and not even know it's there unless we move that wall.

This all takes time, money and research we use heavy equipment at the mine which is not cheap to buy operate and maintain.? And most of the work is being done and has been done on a volunteer basis.

It all has not been about blasting, as some would like to believe we have used ground scan sonar, as well as seismology equipment and remote cameras to probe and access the unseen and the unknown areas of the mountain and the surrounding areas.

Do I know the area?

I worked at the Kokoweef site for over five years.? I worked there on weekends after I got done with my real job.? ?

I spent my own money for gas and food.? Just like all the other volunteers.

I helped blast one of those tunnels.

What have I gotten out of it?? Beside learning to run a hard rock drill, how to handle dyamite, how to operate an LHD and just hanging out with a great bunch of people.

I got a? hell of a lot of fun it and gained a whole lot of knowledge.

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
What about the Chain Ladder? I've seen pics of some of the cave. I was just asked to track down Earl Dorr's son for someone who talked to him 25 years ago. Any info or conversation would be greatly appreciated, and rewarded also. Email me for my phone #
Dano.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of several natural entrances (the one that lead to the area where Dorr smoked his name on the wall) into the cave system was accessed by rope and rope ladders, until a chain ladder was installed to replace the rope system.

Later, tunnels were blasted into the same side of the mountain (as the aforementioned natural entrance) to see if we could intersect with the cave system Dorr had blasted shut.

When no usable cave system that lead downward was found.

Tunnels blasted a tunnel upwards at a approximately a 45 degree angle

With the skill of our engineers we were able to intersect with the room where Dorr set off his charge and left his mark. A solid ladder system was put in place through said tunnel that allowed easier access to the blast site, in hopes of finding more clues left by Dorr. And or another natural cave that lead down wards from that point.

cocoweepah

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2006
Hey Las Vegas Bob,

Which Bob aree you? With over 1,000 investors I'm not sure which "Bob" you are.
After living at the Kokoweef Peak millsite for so many years I've met a few.
You already probably know me as "[email protected]."

" Forget the gold, Keep your friends, Search for the Truth FIRST "

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know there be a lot of us down there.............The best way to describe myself as to who I am would be to say, I used to hang out and driil/work with Joe when he lived on the other side of the mountain, and of course after he moved to the main camp side.

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I recall from past reads the upper level entrances were not at the "top" of the mountain but at a level where boats could dock. I assume that LVbob didn't mean the actual upper heights near the top, but just someplace above the base. Question is the base of the mountain lower on the eastern side than the western? If so, the "upper" entrances may be actually lower or the same altitude than the
western opening. How deep was the lake, 600 ft? That would put the eastern openings at about 400' ASL. So don't look at the top!
JMO

dano91

Apr 3, 2005
colorado
So what is everyone looking for? Some gold? how much? I would think the actual discovery of water to the proportions described would be worth a untold fortune.
Also any Greyling stories connected to Kokoweff?
Dano.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bobinsd said:
As I recall from past reads the upper level entrances were not at the "top" of the mountain but at a level where boats could dock. I assume that LVbob didn't mean the actual upper heights near the top, but just someplace above the base.? Question is the base of the mountain lower on the eastern side than the western?? If so, the "upper" entrances may be actually lower or the same altitude than the
western opening.? How deep was the lake, 600 ft?? That would put the eastern openings at about 400'? ASL. So don't look at the top!
JMO

JMO please explain your reference to "boats"

bobinsd

Oct 20, 2005
San Diego California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOPS! On the same page that I was reading about Kokoweep, there was this story about a similar cavern in the Panamints. I sort of "merged" the legends and made a mistake. Sorry.

"They also claimed to have followed the caverns upwards to a higher level which ultimately opened out onto the face of the Panamints, about half-way up the eastern slope, in the form of a few ancient tunnel-like quays.

They realized that the valley below was once under water and they eventually came to the conclusion that the arched openings were ancient 'docks' for sea vessels. They could allegedly see Furnace Creek Ranch and Wash far below them."

I wonder what the Smithsonian did with the 8 foot tall mummies they found?

http://www.s8int.com/page16.html

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahh Death Valley. Yeah big difference. Death Valley has a lot of cool stories about it.

I have often wondered if the river story and under ground city story in Death Valley was actually a twisted take off of the Titus canyon incident.

Titus Canyon is located on the opposite side of the Valley kind of caddy cornered across from the Panamints.

Now back in the 1920's an investment group was actually selling "river front" plots of land located on the Amargosa river. Their advertising even showed river boats in Titus Canyon at a town called Leadfield.

Leadfield it's self was a supposedly a rich lead mining area. However the ground had been salted and the so called mines in the area were worthless.

Unsuspecting people were buying these plots up sight on seen.

The buyers of said land did not realize that the Amargosa river mainly runs underground and barely has enough surface water to float a fish let alone a stern wheel river boat.

The ruins of Leadfield can still be seen today if one cares to take the 27 mile trek down the one way road through Titus Canyon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread