Solid handle "fixed" rods vs freewheeling

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my first commercial rod back in the early 1980's. Since then I've used and built many different configurations. The Revelation rod was so free movement, hang it over the edge of a table and it can swing for nearly five minutes. No other rod comes close to that. Not some kind of heavy pendulum either, thin wire.

On the other end of the scale is the solid or "fixed" handle. Most people probably don't understand you can either let the handle turn in your hand or the real way is to hold it tight so it won't turn. That way you can feel the pressure. Very much like how a truck driver thumps his tires with a tire iron to check the pressure. No "wishy-washy maybe I got a hit" feeling like driving a car with loose steering.

Last edited:
OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A single rod that you point at the target has little or no discrimination. That might be okay on a visible test target, but out in the field pretty good way to get bewildered.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why they say the signal line IS the discrimination. You have to cross it otherwise it's like standing in a pool of water looking for one drop.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can still "thump for pressure" with a freewheeling rod if you have surgeon's skill.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I actually prefer "Y"(forked or wishbone depending on where you're from) and bobbers over the L and rotating rods. Capt. Rick a dowser I work with a lot uses two rotating rods at once like L rods.It's actually pretty weird to watch but it's his thing. He has steadier hands than I do lol.

OP
OP
signal_line

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thumping is done as a second opinion AFTER the target is discriminated by walking across the signal line.

sea.thunter7

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
Two rotating rods at once like L-rods are super sensitive for me. The pulls are usually strong enough to lock them in to position even if my hands aren't perfectly steady. But most of the time I'm just using plain L-rods because I like to feel the pulls as much as possible. I've been looking at the Simmons PMR-III (PMR III - PMR III dowsing rod - Simmons PMR III - Anderson PMR III - professional treasure chest hunting dowsing rod).

That Y-rod looks fantastic.

View attachment 1634517

But expensive... lol

Last edited:

sea.thunter7

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you guys think about the addition of that circular antenna at the top? Is that really making a significant improvement? I noticed it on another rotating rod from GDI I was considering (APOLLO Golden Rods dowsing gold detectors - GDI-DETECTORS.COM). Simmons and GDI seem to think they can charge a premium for these rods.

GDI Apollo:
View attachment 1634522
View attachment 1634523

Simmons PMR-III:
View attachment 1634526
View attachment 1634527

The craftsmanship seems impressive on these rods... Has anyone ever actually held one in their hands?

Last edited:

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The idea behind the loop antenna was to increase forward range. Monopole antennas do not have good range in horizontal mounting. Their reception field is limited to very small area in front and a large radius around the circumference. That's why you normally see them mounted vertically above the ground plane. They don't get signals through the tip like the idiot in the other thread claimed. The loop allowed to rod to increase distance especially in the uhf range. Dipoles of course have a longer field envelope than monopole but it's still oriented the wrong way for maximum reception. A tuned yagi antenna with would actually be close to the ultimate dowsing/LRL antenna.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread