Metal Detecting

diggerdeeper

Nov 16, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & 'Nox 800, XP Deus, Nokta Fors/Cor
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Year's ago, the guy I worked for claimed he could find water with a pair of pliers.
I didn't believe him, so he grabbed an old pair of pliers and went outside into the drive way.
Holding one half of the pliers in each hand and having the most serious look of concentration,he walked over a water puddle and threw the pliers in and said- SEE !!!
The funniest thing I ever saw.

But seriously, go on YouTube and look this up. There's numerous videos concerning the veracity of the dowsing process.
For example--

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I just figured there MUST be Devine intervention when using them. I mean, those rods ARE called DEVINING rods, aren't they? (OMG, I found something!) TTC

What is very fun, is to watch the "back and forth" action when the proponents try to explain how they work.

a) On the one hand, they will try to distance themselves from any supernatural. Because if they rely on THAT as their explanation, then ... immediately .... they enter into the realm of hocus pocus, mystical, religion, faith, spirits, etc....

b) So they will hop back and forth over the fence and say that there's something scientific going on (hey, they've got batteries and wires after all, right ? Or even if they're just coat-hangers, they will try to describe some sort of "attraction" going on, blah blah, as if there's science to it).

And the moment you try to pin them down on one explanation, they'll hop back over the fence to the other explanation. Quite comical.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
.... There's numerous videos concerning the veracity of the dowsing process.
For example--

Great link. Loved to watch that. And the end (from 3:45 onwards) was predictable: The results don't dent the dowser's confidence. WTF ??

Oh wait:

a) The tests weren't fair. They were rigged in some way.

b) Durned those sunspots anyhow.

c) Bad vibes given off by the skeptical tester (who no doubt had a magnet hidden in his pocket) were messing up the test results.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is very fun, is to watch the "back and forth" action when the proponents try to explain how they work.

a) On the one hand, they will try to distance themselves from any supernatural. Because if they rely on THAT as their explanation, then ... immediately .... they enter into the realm of hocus pocus, mystical, religion, faith, spirits, etc....

b) So they will hop back and forth over the fence and say that there's something scientific going on (hey, they've got batteries and wires after all, right ? Or even if they're just coat-hangers, they will try to describe some sort of "attraction" going on, blah blah, as if there's science to it).

And the moment you try to pin them down on one explanation, they'll hop back over the fence to the other explanation. Quite comical.
Stan, a friend in Murphys CA surely believes in dowsing. He showed me an area just south of Judy's place on BLM that he dowsed and said there is a billion in gold underneath..... but he won't go after it because it would cost millions to recover. DUH!! Nobody breaking speed records to help him recover it! TTC

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Micron gold. It messes with everything be it scalar waves, orgone or NMR. You'd think people who can build meters to measure these waves when no "mainstream scientist"(read - legit science field lol) would be able to conquer that pesky problem. Of course if you don't use those special crystal containing transistors the scalar waves won't operate correctly either. Ahhh life is so difficult for those poor LRL scientists.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What they need is an "eighth wave" generator to levitate the gold up to where you can pluck it out of the air rather than have to dig for it.

Hmmmmm.

Send $20 for Charlie P's bag of Magic Eighth Wave Pixie Dust which will levitate gold if you do it right and really, really believe.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What they need is an "eighth wave" generator to levitate the gold up to where you can pluck it out of the air rather than have to dig for it.

Hmmmmm.

Send $20 for Charlie P's bag of Magic Eighth Wave Pixie Dust which will levitate gold if you do it right and really, really believe.

Do you take bitcoin?:notworthy:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... said there is a billion in gold underneath.....

And let me guess : The burden of proof will be on you to prove the gold isn't there. The burden of proof won't be on him to prove that it is there.

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Durned that micron gold anyhow ! I'm not sure which is more of a nuisance : the micron gold or the sunspots. :(

I actually tried to get a large sample of the soils that supposedly contained micron gold during dowsing testing to refine. You can imagine how well that went.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I actually tried to get a large sample of the soils that supposedly contained micron gold during dowsing testing to refine. You can imagine how well that went.

If you couldn't refine or detect the gold in the soil, it would only mean that you're not doing it right. Or that it's undiscovered science. But rest assured.: The soil is causing the dowsing test to fail. It's not that the dowsing itself doesn't work.

macronova

Banned
Oct 28, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard to say. There were several Companies Making them.
All were outrageously Priced imo .
I Personally Doubted their Ability to Locate anything But Buyers.

Though there were/are some who Swear they work.

Personally I Think they work as well as a Pair of Dowsing Rods.

And only for those who Can also get Dowsing Rods to work For Them.

(a Psychic Thing :dontknow: )

I Knew an Old Gentleman. As Long as I Knew Him ,
He was looking for a Cache in the Town he was Born in.
His Dads Cache I Think.
(Ghost Town Now) Every time a New Better Detector came Out He bought it.

Long Story, Shortened . He swore LRL's work.
Even inferred he Had one. Yet he never Found the Cache with it so :dontknow:

Yes, they are all ultimately dowsing devices. I've seen them work with my own eyes. If you believe it works and do not doubt, it will work. But a lot of things can interfere with your results. I usually refer to it as mental baggage connected to certain things you may be looking for. The purity of your desire to find the thing you seek is always the determining factor. This is why so many dowsers fail "dowsing tests" and probably why that gentleman never found his dad's cache. When you're trying to pass a dowsing test or trying to find something that you already know too much about, the desire is no longer pure, your mind and the thought form of what it is you seek is already polluted. During the test, you're focused too much on passing and performing for onlookers. While searching for your dad's cache, there's way too much emotion and irrelevant mental imagery attached to the hunt. Its a science that is simple yet extremely complex at the same time. One day I hope we fully understand it. Certain discoveries in the quantum physics realm come close to giving explanation.

Last edited:

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, they are all ultimately dowsing devices. I've seen them work with my own eyes. If you believe it works and do not doubt, it will work. But a lot of things can interfere with your results. I usually refer to it as mental baggage connected to certain things you may be looking for. The purity of your desire to find the thing you seek is always the determining factor. This is why so many dowsers fail "dowsing tests" and probably why that gentleman never found his dad's cache. When you're trying to pass a dowsing test or trying to find something that you already know too much about, the desire is no longer pure, your mind and the thought form of what it is you seek is already polluted. During the test, you're focused too much on passing and performing for onlookers. While searching for your dad's cache, there's way too much emotion and irrelevant mental imagery attached to the hunt. Its a science that is simple yet extremely complex at the same time. One day I hope we fully understand it. Certain discoveries in the quantum physics realm come close to giving explanation.

I too have seen recoveries by dowsing and there are thousands of faith and metaphysical based feats throughout history but unfortunately correlation does not equal causation. This also bring us back to what Tom said about LRL/dowsing proponents wanting to distance themselves from faith or psychic based phenomena. Pseudoscience or just outright lies seem to be preferred in those scenarios. There will probably never be a large enough test of the population to determine any complete debunking of this type of phenomena. And even of their was it wouldn't change the personal beliefs of most people no matter the evidence. Flat earthers are prime example of this.

In quantum physics if you accept M-theory then the dowsing device would somehow have to become a brane to function the way it is believed to. Whether humans can access 4th or higher dimensions without some type of augmentation would also have to brought into play.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
..... If you believe it works and do not doubt, it will work....

Except in double-blind controlled tests.

..... But a lot of things can interfere with your results.....

Correct. And take your pick of which one get rolled out the moment dowsing fails. Sunspots, micro-gold, mental baggage, impure desire, too much emotion, etc....

..... Its a science that is simple yet extremely complex at the same time. One day I hope we fully understand it. Certain discoveries in the quantum physics realm come close to giving explanation.

Yup, there it is. I love that line the best: "Unexplained science" . I could make a claim that a peanut butter and jelly sandwich can find gold too. If someone tried to say "that's silly and illogical", I merely have to say: "It's unexplained science".

Darke

Aug 16, 2018
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yup, there it is. I love that line the best: "Unexplained science" . I could make a claim that a peanut butter and jelly sandwich can find gold too. If someone tried to say "that's silly and illogical", I merely have to say: "It's unexplained science".

So if you eat the gold finding sandwich does that mean you'll have a gut feeling where the gold is?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I Purchased a simple Pair of Dowsing rods on Ebay earlier this Year.

S164.jpg

Been too Lazy/Embarrassed/Forgetful depending on area to Pull them out & Try them.
My Big Problem is I don't Know How to get them to Search for a Gold Ring, Silver Coin, or Water.

in an other word discrimination. on a pair of Rods ?
because of that, I feel it's a Total waste of my Time To even Consider them as Viable For Me.

I May actually purchase A pair with handles to make them easier to Balance
By next Spring though, Because I Am Curious.

o0o.jpg
but I still will need to convince myself to try even though I'd be going in Blind.

Same with LRL's. I am not saying they are a Scam. I Won't go that Far.
Too many I Do Respect insist they work. Just saying I Don't feel any Personal Confidence
they would work for me.

If I ever Catch an LRL at an Auction for under $20 Bucks, I'd Grab it.
Over that, Would depend on how badly the Money I Have is Burning a Hole in my Debit Card

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread