Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: The Lost Adams Diggings

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    3 times

Re: The Lost Adams Diggings

I searched for the Lost Adams for over 10 years in my spare time with two partners who worked at my University. I don't regret my experiences, but it finally wore me out. I still have a lot of interest in the lost canyon. I hope someone come as close as I feel I did. Things to remember: Fort Apache did not exist when Adams had his adventure in 1864. It was a starting point for his search when he returned. Gotch Ear took them across two rivers named by the Spanards. The Little Colorado is too far north, but people use it as a point of interest. the Black river (also too far north) was not named by the Spanards. This Zunis were never mentioned in any of the more accepted LAD stories. Nana was a sub-chief of the Mimbreys (sp) (in 1864). If you look at all the people's comments below (and many are very knowledgable) none of them talk about one of the most important parts to the LAD legend, and that's the old settler's road from 1840 (research it). If it's not near your search site, then look somewhere else. Fort West is the only fort that existed near the Adams diggings in 1864. I know the Prieta river runs near the site. If you remember Gotch Ear said, "at this point you will cross two river named by the Spanish, one in English means black". Prieta in the old colloquial Spanish means "dark" or "black".). Next after the Prieta is the San francisco river. The last river named is about one and a half days from the canyon by horse. The old road (a few ruts are still visible, even though the road was only used one or two years) is close to the canyon. I believe the canyon is located in terrain that's so rugged that if your able to pitch a one man tent - you are in the wrong area. I believe anyone that claims to have found the Lost Adams also found a huge gold vain. My friends the lost canyon has not been found. I feel I came close but one of my partners nearly died, and that ended my excitement. Good luck in your search. DanCad
    Real of Tayopa likes this.

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    6303 times

WELCOME TO TREASURENET DanCad!

Quote Originally Posted by DCadwell
    I searched for the Lost Adams for over 10 years in my spare time with two partners who worked at my University. I don't regret my experiences, but it finally wore me out. I still have a lot of interest in the lost canyon. I hope someone come as close as I feel I did. Things to remember: Fort Apache did not exist when Adams had his adventure in 1864. It was a starting point for in adventure when he returned. Gotch Ear took them across two rivers named by the Spanards. The Little Colorado is too far north, but people use it as a point of interest. the Black river (also too far north) was not named by the Spanards. This Zunis were never mentioned in any of the more accepted LAD stories. Nana was a sub-chief of the Mimbreys (sp) (in 1864). If you look at all the people's comments below (and many are very knowledgable) none of them talk about one of the most important parts to the LAD legend, and that's the old settler's road from 1840 (research it). If it's not near your search site, then look somewhere else. Fort West is the only fort that existed near the Adams diggings in 1864. I know the Prieta river runs near the site. If you remember Gotch Ear said, "at this point you will cross two river named by the Spanish, one in English means black". Prieta in the old colloquial Spanish means "dark" or "black".). Next after the Prieta is the San franciso river. The last river named is about one and a half days from the canyon By horse. The old road is close to the canyon. I believe the canyon is located in terrain that's so rugged that if your able to pitch a one man tent - you are in the wrong area. I believe anyone that claims to have found the Lost Adams also found a huge gold vain. My friends the lost canyon has not been found. I feel I came close but one of my partners nearly died, and that ended my excitement. Good luck in your search. DanCad
    Thank you for sharing, and I look forward to reading more about your adventures and research.
    Oroblanco

SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1280 times

I searched for the Lost Adams for over 10 years in my spare time with two partners who worked at my University. I don't regret my experiences, but it finally wore me out. I still have a lot of interest in the lost canyon. I hope someone come as close as I feel I did. Things to remember: Fort Apache did not exist when Adams had his adventure in 1864. It was a starting point for in adventure when he returned. Gotch Ear took them across two rivers named by the Spanards. The Little Colorado is too far north, but people use it as a point of interest. the Black river (also too far north) was not named by the Spanards. This Zunis were never mentioned in any of the more accepted LAD stories. Nana was a sub-chief of the Mimbreys (sp) (in 1864). If you look at all the people's comments below (and many are very knowledgable) none of them talk about one of the most important parts to the LAD legend, and that's the old settler's road from 1840 (research it). If it's not near your search site, then look somewhere else. Fort West is the only fort that existed near the Adams diggings in 1864. I know the Prieta river runs near the site. If you remember Gotch Ear said, "at this point you will cross two river named by the Spanish, one in English means black". Prieta in the old colloquial Spanish means "dark" or "black".). Next after the Prieta is the San franciso river. The last river named is about one and a half days from the canyon By horse. The old road is close to the canyon. I believe the canyon is located in terrain that's so rugged that if your able to pitch a one man tent - you are in the wrong area. I believe anyone that claims to have found the Lost Adams also found a huge gold vain. My friends the lost canyon has not been found. I feel I came close but one of my partners nearly died, and that ended my excitement. Good luck in your search. DanCad
    DC, thanks for the informative post. After 35 years myself, I am pretty much on the same page with everything you've said (if, of course, the LAD actually exists, which I'm not totally convinced of).

By the way, out of curiosity, your partner wasn't in the habit of wearing a black snowmobile suit in hot weather was he? If so, I've got a pretty fair idea where your target area is, but getting there will not, as you say, be for the faint of heart.
    ​Adios, amigos - it's been interesting.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    3 times

The guy we almost lost on our last trip hunting for the LAD was not one of the people that normally searched with us. He walked off from our team, and we searched for him for 7 hours. Late that evening I found him in the bottom of a canyon near the old settlers road. He was in bad shape. We had been searching 17 miles from the nearest road, and it was our 5th day. I'm only good for about 5 days back in that god forsaken country anyway, so we took him out and he was not a part of anything we did from then on. I should have seen that he was the guy in the "black snowmobile suit" before I ever allowed him to go. I'm now doing something different. I'm researching the steamboat robbery on the Colorado River back in 1880. They took silver and gold. It took place about 8 miles north of Laughlin Nevada. The country is much nicer on an ole guy than the Adam's area. This robbery will give me a chance to use my metal detector. Besides, I can search during the day and drink beer and play poker at night.... Good searching! DanCad

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1280 times

..... Besides, I can search during the day and drink beer and play poker at night.... Good searching! DanCad
    I can see that you are a savvy researcher and have chosen your target wisely, DC. Kudos.

us
    Oct 2009
    Texas Panhandle
    Whites Vision, XLT; ACE 250;Bounty Hunter,Garrett Pro Pointer
    2 times
    Metal Detecting

pw
    Apr 2003
    New Mexico
    BS
    1280 times

Quote Originally Posted by celtex
    It seems this is the introduction to a new book that Richard French has written - however, the completed book does not seem to be available anywhere that I've looked. Maybe the book is still in the process of being written.

From what the introduction says, French and his associates have put their full faith in the Charles Allen version of the LAD legend, which apparently was the basis for their search and discovery of the diggings - or so he claims. The Allen version is one of dozens available of the well known tale, but unfortunately it came not from Adams directly, but instead through Captain Shaw. Shaw was Adams' partner and sponser in the years after 1864 and told several different versions of the lost diggings to various people, one of them Allen. At best, the Allen version, with a near-Datil venue, is third-hand. Anyway, there's not much to get excited about at this point.

Be that as it may, French's claims can't be evaluated until his evidence is presented.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    3 times

Another book! When people are willing to have a book published concerning their discovery of the LAD - but at the same time they want to keep their find quite, something just doesn't register right here. There seems to be a lack of research also. It makes interesting reading when I realize someone has done their homework. There's no "well traveled trail". The tracks Gotchear mentioned, is an old 1840 settlers road. It was used in 1840. It was old when Adams made his journey. It was just ruts. It was used just enough to scar the ground in a way similar to the Oregon Trail. The reason most people don't talk about this old road is because they haven't found it; and it's much easier to find some peaks and canyons that resemble the story (or stories). Those features are repeated many times within the landscape of Arizona and New Mexico.

Many years ago when I stumbled on to the old road, the hair on my neck stood on end. For several hours I followed it to a point where the settlers hoisted the wagons up a steep wall to get over a saddle in the mountain. The direction the road took was hard to follow. What helped determine the road's path was the same thing I found when I followed the Oregon Trail. Things were moved or cut down I.E. Looking down the canyon, one area of the road had several ruts and dozens of large boulders rolled to low side of the road... This road follows the Arizona, New Mexico boarder. It kind of weaves back and forth. But it's several miles from the extremely rugged country where I believe the diggings are located. Has the LAD been found? I don't think so, and Reserve is not the southern search boundary. D.C.

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    6303 times
    As there remains interest in the Lost Adams, I am reviving an old thread:

Adam's Treasure | Unsolved Mysteries Wiki | Fandom powered by Wikia

Please do continue:

Real of Tayopa, Loke and markmar like this.

gr
    Oct 2012
    3270 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Oro

So now is near Tucson ? But with this turn , we can go maybe somewhere in the middle of the old and new place of the Adams diggings When i am thinking about the two piloncillos from the lost Adams diggings story ,the only thing that come in my mind is the Perfil map . There is also a waterfall in the middle of the scene .
    And the previous guys who worked that placer before Adams , made the same mistake and went above the waterfall .
    But is just my theory .
    Oroblanco and Real of Tayopa like this.
    Marius

um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    6303 times
    I sure do NOT know where the lost Adams is. Or I should say the first lost Adams - the second one (a lode mine) is almost certainly inside the current Navajo reservation, will post something about that soon (have to find the article) but there may be some way to get a permit to search for it even so. The original Adams could be either in NM or AZ, for a long time I was dead sure it is in NM or at least on that side of the state line, but now I am not so sure. I don't think it is near Tucson though.

Please do continue:

us
    Oct 2013
    Gilbert
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    If you haven't seen it watch Unsolved Mysteries with Dennis Farina, Season 3, Episode 9 (Adams diggings starts at 10:52) available free on youtube.
    You'll know the people. First aired Sept 14, 1988.
    Oroblanco likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links