Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: The Lost Adams Diggings

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Oct 2012
    NM/AZ
    V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
    566 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcfia View Post
    Thanks, RB. Yes, I've read the book and it's one of my favorites. There's all kinds of good information in it, written by James McKenna, who lived the events and knew the characters of the period. It deserves to be in everyone's library, whether they're interested in lost mines, southwestern history, or just having a good read to enjoy.
    Well, written by the nuns at the convalescent home, as dictated by Uncle Jimmy anyways, right?

If it's all mostly true, then I volunteer for the expedition to find the Radium cave! That's the wildest part of the tale. He even ended up with a pet mountain lion, if I recall.

Regarding the Mogollons, I recommend Dry gulch Headwaters as a search area. I may have mentioned that I found "Cactus Flats" on an old map once...

Look for the drainages coming off the mines up there just past the wilderness boundary. Those mines have been sanitized from newer maps, but I know gold has been found thereabouts not too many decades back.
    sdcfia and mdog like this.

pt
    Sep 2014
    6810 times
    The facts behind the factoids
    Quote Originally Posted by nmth View Post
    Well, written by the nuns at the convalescent home, as dictated by Uncle Jimmy anyways, right?

If it's all mostly true, then I volunteer for the expedition to find the Radium cave! That's the wildest part of the tale. He even ended up with a pet mountain lion, if I recall.

Regarding the Mogollons, I recommend Dry gulch Headwaters as a search area. I may have mentioned that I found "Cactus Flats" on an old map once...

Look for the drainages coming off the mines up there just past the wilderness boundary. Those mines have been sanitized from newer maps, but I know gold has been found thereabouts not too many decades back.
    Written around the wood stove at Oxy Bill's welding shop in downtown Silver City, as I heard it.

The Mogollons ... lots of choices up there. I favor the Turkey Creek drainages up near where they found the body of Mike Cooney a hundred years ago. If you go up there, be sure to go prepared. Many good stories have come out of that area. It's why Cooney made his final trip there - he heard a story with new clues and tried to beat the bad weather.

https://books.google.com/books?id=4a...0creek&f=false

By the way, another exceptional book about SW New Mexico is Wilderness of the Gila, by Elizabeth McFarland. There are some lost mine stories in there that will curl your toes and motivate you about like a cattle prod. Unfortunately, I see that it's getting a little pricey.
    Oroblanco, markmar, nmth and 1 others like this.
    "Well, yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, 1998

Oct 2012
    NM/AZ
    V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
    566 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcfia View Post
    Written around the wood stove at Oxy Bill's welding shop in downtown Silver City, as I heard it.

The Mogollons ... lots of choices up there. I favor the Turkey Creek drainages up near where they found the body of Mike Cooney a hundred years ago. If you go up there, be sure to go prepared. Many good stories have come out of that area. It's why Cooney made his final trip there - he heard a story with new clues and tried to beat the bad weather.

https://books.google.com/books?id=4a...0creek&f=false

By the way, another exceptional book about SW New Mexico is Wilderness of the Gila, by Elizabeth McFarland. There are some lost mine stories in there that will curl your toes and motivate you about like a cattle prod. Unfortunately, I see that it's getting a little pricey.
    Not a book I am familiar with - thanks!

"Let in a little sun", eh?

What about Bear Moore?

Had some gold on him when they found him in his cave house. Speculation that could be from trade with Apache Kid (no idea which one...) If so, I like San Mateo for the actual source for some reason.

Old buddies rousted up his cave a bit back (like 50 years...) But side canyon explorations we're limited. Have to dig out their notes.
    mdog, Oroblanco and sdcfia like this.

pt
    Sep 2014
    6810 times
    The facts behind the factoids
    Quote Originally Posted by nmth View Post
    Not a book I am familiar with - thanks!

"Let in a little sun", eh?

What about Bear Moore?

Had some gold on him when they found him in his cave house. Speculation that could be from trade with Apache Kid (no idea which one...) If so, I like San Mateo for the actual source for some reason.

Old buddies rousted up his cave a bit back (like 50 years...) But side canyon explorations we're limited. Have to dig out their notes.
    Back in the late 1970s, I packed into the region and stayed a couple nights in an overhang shelter right on Turkey Creek, near the mouth of Miller Springs Canyon (might have been Corral Canyon or Manzanita Creek - hard to remember). This was either the Moore cave or was close to the Moore cave. There are a number of shelters on that stretch of Turkey Creek, and most of them had fire rings. Moore, like most of the old timers, frequently had some placer gold. Cooney's body was found at the mouth of Sycamore Canyon, a hundred feet from where the body of another alleged rich gold discoverer (a surveyor) was found in 1900.
    mdog, Oroblanco and nmth like this.
    "Well, yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, 1998

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Sponsored Links