Letter from Robert T. Emmet, and the Lost Adams Diggings

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello alfonzo

The old Apache was Perico - one of Geronimo's last warriors in the Sierra Madre campaign in 1886, and can be seen in most photos taken by CS Fly the photographer, remarkably as the last "hostiles" as "enemy combatants still in the field"; real history and amazing to view. The book you are after is 'Indeh' by Eve Ball - it is fairly easy to get a copy and has a whole chapter regarding the point I'm making.

Apparently he was brought up by Mexicans and spent most of his life in the mountains there. I have seen it detailed in other books that those that remained after Geronimo's surrender and indeed those that never gave up in the first place - mainly remnants of the Nednhi band of Juh, knew of such locations which were also the repositories of emergency food, clothing, weapons, utensils and of course gold/silver depending on who had been relieved of it and how much was there.

There were many attempts by reservation Apaches in the 1920s and 1930s to try and make contact with their kin, but the intervening years had been of utter and brutal hardship for the free ones as well as those in "captivity", and it simply did not happen.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
IP in UK - there's plenty of mention of the Apaches' knowledge and use of gold and other metals before and after the Anglo period in Apacheria. Some writers claim the Apache shunned gold for spiritual reasons, but that idea doesn't hold up to many eyewitness accounts and anecdotal reports from the period. One of the best is The Marvelous Country, which recounts substantial contact with the tribe in the early 1850's by the writer, Samuel Cozzens. In it there are many references to substantial quantities of gold in the possession of the tribe in the days of Cochise and Mangas Coloradas. Supposedly, the Apaches had a rich gold mine at 'the headwaters of the Gila'. Many people like to cite the Apaches' 'teardrops of Ussen' tabu of gold, but I don't believe it. For one thing, Apaches are notorious liars to us white guys.

Regarding the 'Lost Adams', you have a steep task trying to make sense of the dozens of versions available. As Jack Purcell can attest, there are at least two degrees of separation, usually more, in all the stories from the true events - if the story is true, that is. If there were an Adams Diggings, we have no reason to believe any of the published stories provide the information needed to find the site. As you have stated, with as many people as have searched for the site in the past 150 years - many with better intel that us - the diggings should have been found. For this reason, I suspect the 'true events' that spawned the legend in the first place are likely quite different than what people suspect.

IMHO, Jacob Snively is the most intriguing of all the players in the LAD cast of characters. Too bad we don't know more about him.

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Springfield

Of course the Apache knew about gold - they had been trading and raiding with/against Mexicans for centuries, and had knowledge of its value. I do not necessarily believe they mined it as such, more "collected" it to trade in times of need, but guarded against their known deposits for obvious reasons. That Pinos Altos site in your state was the 'home' of old Mangas Coloradas and he even pleaded with the miners in their gold strike that he would take them to even richer sites if they left his land.

There are more questions than answers regarding the LAD, but many points puzzle me and do not really sound practical, realistic or even sensible. Perhaps that is why Mr Purcell titled his book "LAD - Myth, Mystery & Madness". I believe that such stories should try and be de-bunked using evidence and scientific research, but some strands cannot be disproven - nor proven to a sensible degree. It is a fascinating story and because its search and characters (some of them at least) live well into the 20th century, there should be more documents, diaries, letters etc., available dealing with the subject. If it was ever going to be found as per the original story, my opinion is it would have been by now, can it be that such a wonderful place with the mother lode nearby (the site the guide said was near the twin peaks) both going undiscovered??

Improbable I would say. Of course it could have been found and worked surreptitiously, but such large amounts of gold are rarely sold/bought without being registered on the radar at some point.

If Mr Purcell is right about Snively and the story correct in its version of the "German" leaving, surely he could have found his way back to the Diggings??

Like I said, really interesting and I only wish I was based in or near the Southwest to carry out some archival research.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
IP,
Yes, I know about Pinos Altos - in fact I live here in Pinos Altos. These mountains were the heart of the Apaches' lives but also the beginning of the end for them in New Mexico, once settled by the white miners. Why Pinos Altos? Maybe the gold here is more plentiful than the 1860's miners ever realized or recovered.

Re diaries, etc. I have an unpublished personal memoir written by one of Silver City's movers/shakers from the late 19th century who spoke directly with Adams in California and questioned him about the legend. The writer speculated a 'new' location for the diggings based on his knowledge of the territory and his discussion with Adams - favoring the 'Fort West' school of thought. It's interesting, but no reason to get any more excited about than with other 'first-hand accounts'. Clearly, Adams was either a pathological liar or had a confused mind. Of course, liars have a hard time keeping their stories straight - a more likely excuse than, "Indian fear made me forget."

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Springfield

You sound as if you've made your own strike.

At least we can ascertain that Adams was a real individual as opposed to some figament of someone's imagination.

There is gold involved alright but in what context and what capacity??.....

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Springfield

You sound as if you've made your own strike.

At least we can ascertain that Adams was a real individual as opposed to some figament of someone's imagination.

There is gold involved alright but in what context and what capacity??.....

Well, I certainly feel fortunate living here.

The reality of Adams the man is still an unknown, IMO. We really don't know much of anything about him.

Yes, gold. As you say, it's the context. Nearly all legends have some basis in true events. However, the truth of the 'LAD' may be radically different than what people believe. As with Adams, his legend remains an open question too.

OP
OP
Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
IPiUK:

Thank you for your interesting contributions! The test of a good TN Thead is the number of replies as well as the number of views.

One of the joys in studying the history of the American West is reading the first-hand accounts written by those who were there. There are many fine books about the Apaches and those who lived with them, near them, fought them, etc.

Jack Purcell wrote the modern masterpiece on the LAD. His contribution is extraordinary.

1) Regarding the Apaches, I agree with you that, in the end, this part of the story could be nothing but a distraction for the serious searcher. We know the Apaches and many other Indians found gold. They knew the land in which they lived. They weren't hardrock miners (at last unless enslaved to become such) - so many of their gold sources were placers that quickly played out.

Over time it became clear no good ever came from showing white men gold. Look at the Black Hills Rush. There are countless legends of Indians finding gold, Indians promising whites gold in return for favors, etc. Bottom line: it worked out much better for the Indians to keep these secrets to themselves.

I'm not surprised Geronimo promised gold to anyone who let him escape. He wanted to return home.

The more I study it, the more I think the LAD were a Glory Hole - a rich placer that was quickly worked out. This theory is subject to change, but I tend to agree with you that is a major reason it hasn't been found. There may not be anything left to find.

I'm getting ready to go out of town so this reply is brief. Thank you for your interesting Posts and please continue to contribute to the conversation! Are there still English branches of the Westerners? At one time there were active Corrals over there publishing very interesting newsletters and other scholarly works.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

alfonzo

Greenie
Mar 22, 2010
Meadview, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro ST, Gold Bug Pro, Garrett CSI 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your info IPiUK, i'm slow in my thanks, as internet spotty here in Philippines where i live for most of the year, very little time to explore the Southwest. What about James McKennas's book on his belief that he found the LAD? BUT of course something wrong with area, jumbled landscape as earthquake or some such reasons. alan

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you gentlemen.

It's a privilege to have the opportunity to share thoughts and ideas with fellow enthusiasts.

OB,

The English Westerners Society is still going strong, I am not a member though and their interest tends to lean towards the Northern Plains Native nations. They carry out some interesting work and make some impressive reports and such.

My interest is in the Apaches and their remarkable achievements in the face of such overwhelming change and odds against them. I concur that Mr Purcell has the recognition of being the definitive writer as regards to his LAD tome, and deserves utmost respect for the way he approached it. You make a very valid point regarding the LAD, in that it might have been very rich but also played out extremely quickly. The character Adams was not a miner and really could not have been in a position to know what was a "rich durable mine" - mainly because he had nothing to compare it to. What he may have first seen was enough to merely have convinced him that he had witnessed "wealth", but not the overall picture. In later years some say he was more interested in the so-called "buried kettle/pot" so how valuable the actual location itself was, is debatable. What would be interesting is whether when searching for the Diggings in later years, does anyone know if Adams actually "worked" any areas or merely looked for the location??

Springfield,

I cannot help but feel that some pertinent clues lie in Adams' time away from the Southwest. It is said there was a 10 year gap between him finding the site and then returning to look for it. There was a similar delay from Brewer; if it is accepted that he was most definately one of the original group. There is an underlying reason(s) but if it was connected to a possible ambush of other miners or migrants as per some versions, would they really have informed of the "Gotch Ear" story to all who cared to listen??

Separating the evidencial facts at this stage is difficult and then trying to piece other strands together even more so. I would only hazard a guess that gold was involved and there was a fight/ massacare as well. In what capacity i cannot say. What is so despairing is, that in someone's old papers in storage from distant, bygone relatives, some dusty archive in an governmental building, some academic institution, there is going to be that vital paper or two which will make things a whole, whole lot clearer and put things in synchronization. Until then all we can do is dig,dig,dig....

Alfonso,

There are many books and sites that claim that they found this or that, they may have found something and until we know more about the actual Adams story, we will never quite be able to say one way or the other.

One thing I am truly enjoying is reading all there is about it.

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Greetings from the UK

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
O.B.,

Although I got off on the wrong foot with Mr. Purcell, :argue: I would have to agree that his work on the LAD story, is at the top of the food chain.:icon_study: IMHO, It's the only place to start your research.

Take care,

Joe

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Thank you gentlemen.

... Springfield,

... Separating the evidencial facts at this stage is difficult and then trying to piece other strands together even more so. I would only hazard a guess that gold was involved and there was a fight/ massacare as well. In what capacity i cannot say. What is so despairing is, that in someone's old papers in storage from distant, bygone relatives, some dusty archive in an governmental building, some academic institution, there is going to be that vital paper or two which will make things a whole, whole lot clearer and put things in synchronization. Until then all we can do is dig,dig,dig....

Greetings from the UK

Unfortunately, 'evidence' seems to be a value judgement when it comes to the LAD, because there really are no verifiable facts to use as a bedrock position from which to begin searching. Even if we take the word of those who claim to have spoken with Adams, we are working with hearsay from at best two degrees of separation from the original events. Yes, there are a few military reports from the time period that have been construed to apply to the LAD, but none that mention the event. None of this is evidence, even circumstantial, IMO.

Yes, we can hope for a magic bullet to appear from somebody's attic, but it seems like as time goes by the odds are diminishing in favor of that happening. There are alternative explanations for the truth of the legend, of course (KGC cover story, ambush of California 49-er's, etc.), but these are universally shunned by LAD true believers . These alternative offerings don't provide any more 'evidence' than the well-known theories (Apache massacre).

Most people, no matter how objective they try to be, favor an LAD version that they find suits their perspective and they tend to stick with it. I'm no different - I like the Fort West versions that seemingly place the mine in the Mogollon or Pinos Altos Ranges - known gold areas. I also like the account (Patterson?) that places the event in 1858, not 1864. No matter what wets your whistle, you can find twin peaks, 'malpais', zigzag canyons and Apaches all over New Mexico and Arizona. Maybe you're at an advantage being overseas - no prejudices.

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, 'evidence' seems to be a value judgement when it comes to the LAD, because there really are no verifiable facts to use as a bedrock position from which to begin searching. Even if we take the word of those who claim to have spoken with Adams, we are working with hearsay from at best two degrees of separation from the original events. Yes, there are a few military reports from the time period that have been construed to apply to the LAD, but none that mention the event. None of this is evidence, even circumstantial, IMO.

Yes, we can hope for a magic bullet to appear from somebody's attic, but it seems like as time goes by the odds are diminishing in favor of that happening. There are alternative explanations for the truth of the legend, of course (KGC cover story, ambush of California 49-er's, etc.), but these are universally shunned by LAD true believers . These alternative offerings don't provide any more 'evidence' than the well-known theories (Apache massacre).

Most people, no matter how objective they try to be, favor an LAD version that they find suits their perspective and they tend to stick with it. I'm no different - I like the Fort West versions that seemingly place the mine in the Mogollon or Pinos Altos Ranges - known gold areas. I also like the account (Patterson?) that places the event in 1858, not 1864. No matter what wets your whistle, you can find twin peaks, 'malpais', zigzag canyons and Apaches all over New Mexico and Arizona. Maybe you're at an advantage being overseas - no prejudices.

Hello Springfield

That is what makes this mystery so provoking yet so infuriating at the same time - there is lots of different information and details flying around, yet facts and evidence are fairly thin on the ground, and the the 'original' versions have become so garbled by later lazy writers and authors who merely re-hashed and added more colour to proceedings - whether intentional or not, that it is very difficult to separate anything to try and get to the core.

The side stories of KGC and ambushes, I have read some versions, but to me they seem rather outlandish in the sense that there was too many individuals involved with too much at stake for it to have been simply a "cover-up". The 'true believers' in the LAD will more than likely shun anything that goes against there own beliefs - regardless of merit because, they and only they, know the facts and what actually happened!

Rather than thinking of locations and possible routes and how big the cache may have been, I still am of the opinion that this will only be resolved when we can determine whether Adams was a real person who lived and breathed at the said time. Once his story is made clear, then other events may start becoming clearer. I only started my interest in the LAD during the past year or so. I had seen references to it in many historical books on the Apaches, but had never taken this to the next stage. Then I came across Mr Purcell's book as well as several others - 'Four Days from Fort Wingate', 'Die Rich Here', 'Apache Gold & Yaqui Silver' etc., and after reading them all, it got me hooked.

But some things simply still do not make sense:

1) If Snively was the 'German', was he not able to go back or direct others to the location?? I have read how some state that the actual 'German' went back to Europe but this seems suspect to me for several reasons.

2) How can anyone determine if 'Gotch Ear' only took Adams' party to this fabled location??

3) Nana, the Apache chief, how on earth could the mining party know it was him and the chief keep the secret to himself??

4) Brewer and Adams only returned to look for the site after nearly/over a decade?? Sure, if they had witnessed bad events which caused them to be wary, they could have sent somebody else in their place or even tried to register some sort of claim or bring it to the attention of the authorities??

5) Then they start announcing it to anyone who will fund an expedition to re-locate it (Adams at least)?? Would not most people want to keep such finds as secret as possible; maybe that's why Brewer may have been the one who found the original site and 'took' whatever was buried/stashed/kept there.

I have also come across several on-line websites which variously claim they have located the LAD! I am dubious to say the least.

Will read what I have again and attempt to cross-reference some pertinent points and see what comes up.

Good luck in your endeavours.

IP in UK

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Joe, I'm not surprised you got off on the "wrong foot". Lol. You are not alone. Here is a prime
example of obsession and isolation gone awry. The lust for gold has many victims.

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning Interested party: Tea? K I have been waiting for an up date on your research. Anything new?

Don Jose de La Mancha

Hiya Mr LM

Apologies for the delay in replying - have been cramming in some reading about your neck of the woods. It might be said that this LAD legend is one of those stories that teases the hunter to try to dis/prove it. I think this one should be left well alone.

Going back to the research, came across an old book written in the 1860s, which stated that EL Naranjal was still being worked until relatively recently (within the book's timeframe of course) and that there was a guard of 20 soldiers stationed there. It was/is near "Rio De La Habas" and "Guadalupe de Los Reyes". Apparently it was no big secret and the ore was being brought into the water mill near the farm/hacienda which was called "De Los Naranjos" in Sinaloa state. It was very rich and productive. Have tried to get a message to our mutual compadres (sorry for pretending to know Spanish) LOA and Furness. It was a great read about most of the productive mines in old Mekiko at the time. One thing is for sure, your backyard has some interesting and mysterious - not to mention extremely rich - secrets that it's very hesitant to give up......

Glad you've boiled the kettle for a steaming brew; got lots to discuss with The Don methinks.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning UK'r. Tea? Regarding the LAD, you posted --> which were also the repositories of emergency food, clothing, weapons, utensils and of course gold/silver depending on who had been relieved of it and how much was there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Agreed, and as I have mentioned in regards to the Apaches having been at Tayopa, I mentioned the bias relief skull cave - only visible during a few days a year with the rising sun - and the persistent rumors of the Apache using it to store food, weapons,etc.

When we casually mentioned this, it created quite stir, since apparently it had been looked for, however we leaked the information in such a way that no one, other than ourselves, has found it to date.

You also mentioned -->4) Brewer and Adams only returned to look for the site after nearly/over a decade?? Sure, if they had witnessed bad events which caused them to be wary, they could have sent somebody else in their place or even tried to register some sort of claim or bring it to the attention of the authorities??

5) Then they start announcing it to anyone who will fund an expedition to re-locate it (Adams at least)?? Would not most people want to keep such finds as secret as possible
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I have said, on the Gloria Pan mine, I definitely found the still sealed up entrance, but when I returned for my partner in El Fuerte, in order to have him share in the opening, I found that he had died the night before while I was still on the trail. He had a heart condition, but I had discovered a short cut from the LLuvia de Oro which saved two days each way.

We had been very close, having shared many hardships in this campaign, and on other searches, it depressed me to the point that I never returned, nor have I to this date.

And no, I have never sent any one back to open it up, despite having posted quite a bit in general on it, nor did I ever file on it for many reasons..

so you see there can be many reasons why they didn't do as you suggested.

I am still open either way on the LAD.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'morning UK'r. Tea? Regarding the LAD, you posted --> which were also the repositories of emergency food, clothing, weapons, utensils and of course gold/silver depending on who had been relieved of it and how much was there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Agreed, and as I have mentioned in regards to the Apaches having been at Tayopa, I mentioned the bias relief skull cave - only visible during a few days a year with the rising sun - and the persistent rumors of the Apache using it to store food, weapons,etc.

When we casually mentioned this, it created quite stir, since apparently it had been looked for, however we leaked the information in such a way that no one, other than ourselves, has found it to date.

You also mentioned -->4) Brewer and Adams only returned to look for the site after nearly/over a decade?? Sure, if they had witnessed bad events which caused them to be wary, they could have sent somebody else in their place or even tried to register some sort of claim or bring it to the attention of the authorities??

5) Then they start announcing it to anyone who will fund an expedition to re-locate it (Adams at least)?? Would not most people want to keep such finds as secret as possible
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I have said, on the Gloria Pan mine, I definitely found the still sealed up entrance, but when I returned for my partner in El Fuerte, in order to have him share in the opening, I found that he had died the night before while I was still on the trail. He had a heart condition, but I had discovered a short cut from the LLuvia de Oro which saved two days each way.

We had been very close, having shared many hardships in this campaign, and on other searches, it depressed me to the point that I never returned, nor have I to this date.

And no, I have never sent any one back to open it up, despite having posted quite a bit in general on it, nor did I ever file on it for many reasons..

so you see there can be many reasons why they didn't do as you suggested.

I am still open either way on the LAD.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Hi Mr LM

Tea please - touch of milk and no sugar. That'll hit the spot.

The Apache may have been at Tayopa historically, they certainly were not there during the 1850s/60s and onwards. Even the name and location was not in living memory of the last "free" bands of Geronimo, Naiche, Nana, Chihuahua, Loco, Mangus etc.

The son of the great Chief Juh, leader of the Nednhi band of southern Chiricahua who knew the Sierra Madre, Sonora and Chihuahua better than anyone, was clearly asked about the legendary Tayopa and categorically stated, that he'd never heard of it nor knew of such a place. If any Apache should have known, it would have been the Chiricuahua. However, Chief Naiche - Cochise's son, said that he did know of a rich gold mine in Sonora which was abandoned near the Chihuahua border in times gone by (he was asked whilst a PoW at Fort Sill in the early 1900s). That wily old Apache Geronimo plumped for the Guadalupe mountains in New Mexico/Texas. Nana who was allegedly one of the main characters in the LAD saga, lived until 1896 and was met and spoken to by researchers, journalists and historians, was not once asked to comment on any possible connections to the LAD.

Mr LM, you say that there could be many reasons they did not go back to the so-called LAD, but there are equally, maybe more so that they should have done - it stands to reason given their later attempts.

What about the alleged German? Why did he not go back or send others?

Something most definitely happened all those years ago in a place most likely located in New Mexico. How it happened, why it happened and when it happened - It's mostly going to be guesswork and rational reconstruction. Most of the factual information and details (what little of it there was in the first place), have been so thoroughly polluted and forgotten and mixed with conjecture, we'll never know the whole truth I would say at this stage.

If a fella like Mr Purcell cannot get to the bottom of the mystery - his brilliant book and academic approach - then we will all have to somehow accept this one will remain so forever.

Personally, I would say that perhaps it was either a site that was discovered later and worked on under a different name, it wasn't as rich as originally made out or was found and worked surreptitiously until not much remained and the site became just another lonely canyon in that vast wilderness known as the great Southwest of the mighty US of A. Another point to note, might be the fact, that later searches almost always centred on the gold that was supposedly collected and placed in the receptacle under the hearth as oppose to the actual diggings themselves. If those hardy and tough as nails old westerners never found it when it was fresh in the minds of those who had taken part and all those old-timers who searched for it in its infancy, very difficult to look for it now and claim with a true conscience, that anything discovered might actually be THE LAD.

Too, too many discrepancies and wholes in the plot and conflicting data and details. All that have searched in any true way for it, have mostly come to the conclusion that this is one that should be left alone. I concur with that wise judgement.

Going back to the Gloria Pan mine, I fully understand your reasons for not going back, but if you wish to pass the baton...
Hey, I'd sure be interested at to what might be behind that sealed up door...

By the way, on the EL Naranjal thread, Oroblanco has joined the group and we're all waiting for you to start talking....

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
G'mornig UK'r Tea strong enough? You posted -->
The son of the great Chief Juh, leader of the Nednhi band of southern Chiricahua who knew the Sierra Madre, Sonora and Chihuahua better than anyone, was clearly asked about the legendary Tayopa and categorically stated, that he'd never heard of it nor knew of such a place.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A rose by any name is still a rose. I believe that they had their own names for different areas and points, even between the different Apache tribes, so Tayopa could have been known by many names, other than Tayopa.

You also asked -->If a fella like Mr Purcell cannot get to the bottom of the mystery - his brilliant book and academic approach - then we will all have to somehow accept this one will remain so forever.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
'impossible". was the flat statement by the various scientific institutions when it was announced that Troy had been found..

It was also said that an earth quake and heavy rains collapsed the walls of the LAD. As mentioned, I have seen two examples of where this has happened. The arroyo of the Gloria pan where it joins the arroyo of the Lluvia de Oro , and here in Alamos on a huge treasure which I was after. The whole side of the mt collapsed in a heavy hurricane caused storm.

Don Jose de La Mancha ( el devils advocate )

Mar 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Mr LM,

The tea is wonderful - wish you'd give it a try.

Very true about the rose thingy. But. Chief Juh's son was later on in life educated in English and asked quite clearly not only about Tayopa, but given all the background info about it. His father never surrendered with old Geronimo but continued living in the fastness of the Sierra Madre mountains. It was remnants of his band of the Apache who carried on living "freely" and were, on occasions, joined by some from the various reservations. If I am correct is saying so Tayopa is a complex, and the history attached to it, the Apache playing a part within it, and it was known to Mexicans throughout the period from its initial closure. Something on such a scale would not have escaped Juh's notice or the Chiricahua's in general. They amongst the Apache were the undisputed tribe of the states of Sonora and Mexico. Some spoke good Spanish having been brought up by Mexicans, and knew about their stories, legends, histories etc.

Schliemann did a magnificent job in uncovering a site which is considered a Troy which was one of many destroyed in historic times. What I would say is that, how many expeditions, ventures, projects have never even had a hint of success, regardless of the initial concept and research?

I believe one or two searchers claimed that the LAD could have been covered by an earthquake/heavy rains, but none (earthquakes) were recorded during the alleged finding of the sight by Adams and Co, and then the return search. Would the heavy rains have covered the nuggets and seams that were supposed to exist?
What about the second site that the guide said was the richer one of the two and further near the two haystack mountains? Since those rains a century and a half have passed, would there not be the possibility of them again being uncovered?

I fully agree with you as regards to mountainsides collapsing in extreme weather, but the fact remains that the whole site has never been discovered and even if it was, the route to it was never found again by Adams himself or those that followed (maybe by Brewer but who knows for certain).

IPUK
(Member of The Don's Debating Society)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread