Adams in the Papers - Page 3
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 52
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: Adams in the Papers

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #31
    um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

    Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    7,603
    8835 times
    Another account in another thread here on T-net:
    Trasure trove Everywhere 1907
    the Adams account is the last treasure listed in the article posted, dating to 1907.

    Please do continue;

    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

  2. #32

    Oct 2012
    NM/AZ
    V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
    248
    566 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Oroblanco View Post
    Merry Christmas!
    And a Happy New Year!
    Oroblanco likes this.

  3. #33
    um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

    Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    7,603
    8835 times
    Happy New Year to you too!

    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

  4. #34
    um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

    Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    7,603
    8835 times
    Jeff posted another one in the AZ section
    Adams Cave (Treasure Houste Found) 1902.

    sdcfia, nmth and audigger53 like this.
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

  5. #35
    pt
    Sep 2014
    2,737
    7182 times
    The facts behind the factoids
    Quote Originally Posted by Oroblanco View Post
    Jeff posted another one in the AZ section
    Adams Cave (Treasure Houste Found) 1902.

    Sounds like a fusion of the Doc Thorne "Indians led me to it blindfolded" story with an "Adams" in charge. It ends with an expedition leaving Holbrook to exploit the massive vein of ore in a secret Navajo cave. No followup article, or is this just another newspaper adventure story pieced together by some guy creating filler?
    nmth and audigger53 like this.
    "Well, yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, 1998

  6. #36

    Oct 2012
    NM/AZ
    V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
    248
    566 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcfia View Post
    Sounds like a fusion of the Doc Thorne "Indians led me to it blindfolded" story with an "Adams" in charge. It ends with an expedition leaving Holbrook to exploit the massive vein of ore in a secret Navajo cave. No followup article, or is this just another newspaper adventure story pieced together by some guy creating filler?
    I am aware of to general Adams themes.

    One is the better known placer ambush story.

    The second is the trading Post guy.

    I actually think these were originally two totally separate stories.

    The mixing occurred quickly, as even early newspapers have people hunting for the placer up in Navajo land.

    I think the Thorne story is a separate one entirely.
    Oroblanco and audigger53 like this.

  7. #37
    pt
    Sep 2014
    2,737
    7182 times
    The facts behind the factoids
    Quote Originally Posted by nmth View Post
    I am aware of to general Adams themes.

    One is the better known placer ambush story.

    The second is the trading Post guy.

    I actually think these were originally two totally separate stories.

    The mixing occurred quickly, as even early newspapers have people hunting for the placer up in Navajo land.

    I think the Thorne story is a separate one entirely.
    Here's a thread that discussed the "trading post guy"

    Two Lost Adams
    nmth, Oroblanco and audigger53 like this.
    "Well, yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, 1998

  8. #38

    Oct 2012
    NM/AZ
    V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
    248
    566 times
    The Dona Ana Historical Society will be publishing an article on Bear Moore next month, I am told.

    How does this pertain to the Adams?

    Bear Moore, a real guy, spent his time in part in the Gila up Turkey Creek, and was a recluse who happened to pay for quite a few things with gold, and had gold on him when his body was eventually discovered. The total of his history is interesting for many reasons. I think the article will have a picture of one of his wood bear traps. He was disfigured by a bear, and was said to trap and torture them to death in later life.

    At least one of our regulars here puts the Lost Adams Placer / Diggings or a similar yet-untapped deposit up in that very remote and hard to access area.

    Cooney was also not too far away from Moore's cave when his Adams hunting days came to an end.

    I am not too sure how to get access to the publication by normal means, but expect that he authors will send one my way.
    Oroblanco, sdcfia and audigger53 like this.

  9. #39
    pt
    Sep 2014
    2,737
    7182 times
    The facts behind the factoids
    Quote Originally Posted by nmth View Post
    The Dona Ana Historical Society will be publishing an article on Bear Moore next month, I am told.

    How does this pertain to the Adams?

    Bear Moore, a real guy, spent his time in part in the Gila up Turkey Creek, and was a recluse who happened to pay for quite a few things with gold, and had gold on him when his body was eventually discovered. The total of his history is interesting for many reasons. I think the article will have a picture of one of his wood bear traps. He was disfigured by a bear, and was said to trap and torture them to death in later life.

    At least one of our regulars here puts the Lost Adams Placer / Diggings or a similar yet-untapped deposit up in that very remote and hard to access area.

    Cooney was also not too far away from Moore's cave when his Adams hunting days came to an end.

    I am not too sure how to get access to the publication by normal means, but expect that he authors will send one my way.
    1) Try this link next month: Dona Ana County Historical Society Newsletter

    2) By the way, do you have any idea how I might find an old (Sept 21, 1872) issue of the Las Cruces Borderer?

    3) Cooney's body was found a mile or two from Moore's main cave, which was further up Turkey Creek. Moore also had a cabin on Bear Creek (ironically). Incidentally, the "young surveyor" also died in that same area trying to return to, apparently, that same rich discovery. In fact, his saddle and bones were found about 100 feet from where Cooney's body was recovered.
    Last edited by sdcfia; Jan 24, 2018 at 07:08 AM.
    nmth, Oroblanco and audigger53 like this.
    "Well, yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, 1998

  10. #40

    Oct 2012
    NM/AZ
    V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
    248
    566 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcfia View Post
    1) Try this link next month: Dona Ana County Historical Society Newsletter

    2) By the way, do you have any idea how I might find an old (Sept 21, 1872) issue of the Las Cruces Borderer?

    3) Cooney's body was found a mile or two from Moore's main cave, which was further up Turkey Creek. Moore also had a cabin on Bear Creek (ironically). Incidentally, the "young surveyor" also died in that same area trying to return to, apparently, that same rich discovery. In fact, his saddle and bones were found about 100 feet from where Cooney's body was recovered.
    Friend in Cruces came up with this, but he only found issues straddling the date you requested.

    New Mexico Digital Newspapers

    I thought Cooney was quite a bit farther than that, up by Willow Creek and Mogollon, but I'm going off of memory...
    Oroblanco and audigger53 like this.

  11. #41
    pt
    Sep 2014
    2,737
    7182 times
    The facts behind the factoids
    Quote Originally Posted by nmth View Post
    Friend in Cruces came up with this, but he only found issues straddling the date you requested.

    New Mexico Digital Newspapers

    I thought Cooney was quite a bit farther than that, up by Willow Creek and Mogollon, but I'm going off of memory...
    Thanks for the link. I searched this site a while back - I guess the Sept 21 issue didn't survive. It was referenced in a master's thesis covering the history of the Silver City mines, supposedly discussing ancient mine workings found in a silver mine in Chloride Flats, just west of town. Others were allegedly found further west and in AZ. Oddly, I did find this item in the Nov 9, 1872 issue - seemingly related.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ancients.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	542.7 KB 
ID:	1540830

    Here's the mystery area in the Mogollons. The highlighted area is where Mike Cooney's body was found. I doubt that I'll return to this remote area, but if I did, I'd look around in Corral Canyon, shown on the right side of the map section.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sycamore canyon.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	1540831
    "Well, yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, 1998

  12. #42

    Oct 2012
    NM/AZ
    V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
    248
    566 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcfia View Post
    Thanks for the link. I searched this site a while back - I guess the Sept 21 issue didn't survive. It was referenced in a master's thesis covering the history of the Silver City mines, supposedly discussing ancient mine workings found in a silver mine in Chloride Flats, just west of town. Others were allegedly found further west and in AZ. Oddly, I did find this item in the Nov 9, 1872 issue - seemingly related.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ancients.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	542.7 KB 
ID:	1540830

    Here's the mystery area in the Mogollons. The highlighted area is where Mike Cooney's body was found. I doubt that I'll return to this remote area, but if I did, I'd look around in Corral Canyon, shown on the right side of the map section.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sycamore canyon.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	1.51 MB 
ID:	1540831
    Man, that's tough, remote country.

    Wish I were tougher.

    I was given some little wire silver poof balls that supposedly came out of a pocket in a now covered mine near Chloride Flats.

    Definitely, mines in the Burros were worked back in Colonial times or earlier.

    A friend of mine passed this week who went up Sycamore in the back when on a trip to see Moore's cave. Says signs of activity were about nil.
    sdcfia, Oroblanco and audigger53 like this.

  13. #43
    um
    Dec 2008
    3,964
    2792 times
    I've somehow managed to reach the age where I'd probably give Mexican Mustang Liniment a try.

    Good luck to all,

    The Old Bookaroo
    sdcfia, Oroblanco and audigger53 like this.
    Make America Think Again

    Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

  14. #44
    um
    Dec 2008
    3,964
    2792 times
    nmth & sdcfia:

    Here's the issue with the Bear Moore article:

    http://www.donaanacountyhistsoc.org/...0for%20web.pdf

    Good luck to all,

    The Old Bookaroo
    Last edited by Old Bookaroo; Mar 10, 2018 at 07:27 PM.
    sdcfia, Oroblanco and audigger53 like this.
    Make America Think Again

    Do you have good books in good condition you are never going to re-read? Clean 'em out!
    Operation Paperback collects gently used books and sends them to American troops.

  15. #45
    pt
    Sep 2014
    2,737
    7182 times
    The facts behind the factoids
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Bookaroo View Post
    sdcfia:

    Here's the issue with the Bear Moore article:

    http://www.donaanacountyhistsoc.org/...0for%20web.pdf

    Good luck to all,

    The Old Bookaroo
    Some good photos in that article too. Thanks.
    Oroblanco and audigger53 like this.
    "Well, yeah, that's just, like, your opinion, man."
    Jeffrey "The Dude" Lebowski, 1998

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. lost adams ?
    By BLACKFOOT in forum Treasure Legends - New Mexico
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: Feb 05, 2013, 12:34 AM
  2. Two Lost Adams
    By Oroblanco in forum Lost Adams Diggings
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: Mar 30, 2012, 07:48 PM
  3. Adams Co. 08 find
    By paleojoe in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Apr 18, 2009, 05:32 AM
  4. Adams, Co. In.
    By bruce in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Apr 05, 2008, 09:30 AM
  5. $100 in Adams dollars
    By Marty-Graw in forum Coin Roll Hunting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Jun 27, 2007, 08:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0