FIFTH ANNUAL DUTCH HUNTERS RENDEZVOUS.......

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
FIFTH ANNUAL DUTCH HUNTER'S RENDEZVOUS.......

The Fifth Annual Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous will be held October 23rd., 24th. and 25th. It will be held again at the Don's Camp near the Peralta Trailhead. If you have questions, the answers are here: http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,103247.0.html

Hopefully, someone who is involved in the organization of the event will add some more details. I will get in contact with those folks and pass along anything I learn.

There are a good many folks who are members here, who would be more than welcome at the Rendezvous.
Some very knowledgeable, old time, prospectors will be attending, and they are always willing to talk and share information about their favorite subject. A number of authors will also show up.

At the same time, many of the really sharp newbies, relatively speaking, will also be there. It's a family friendly affair and there is plenty of space to set up your campsite. I will make dinner for Friday night, probably Mom's stew, for as many people who say they will join us. Home made bisquits and Italian sausage gravy will be available Saturday morning, until we run out.

Anyone who wants to add to those meals is welcome to bring whatever they want. I will also bring a large gas barbecue which will be available for whoever wants to use it throughout the weekend. We usually have steaks on Saturday night.....Bring your own fixin's.

The Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous is open to all who wish to attend.

I am hoping to meet some of my old friends, for the first time, this year.

Take care,

Joe

Sentinel

Jan 5, 2007
Re: FIFTH ANNUAL DUTCH HUNTER'S RENDEZVOUS.......

The guest speakers for Friday evening will be Dr Thomas Glover and Jesse Feldman. Clay Worst will be spending the weekend with us sporting his new hip and I am sure will once again share some intimate stories of the mountains.

Imagine sitting round the camp fire with the gentlemen above as well as Jack Carlson, Greg Davis, Jack San Felice, Jim Wilson, Howard Hornick, Bob Corbin and Ron Feldman........the voices start to hush and Clay starts telling the story of meeting Erwin Ruth, Herman Petrasch, Brownie Holmes and John Reed. Bob Corbin tells the tale of Crazy Jake. Jack San Felice helps you relive the glory days of the Silver King mine.

If you had attended the rendezvous before, you wouldn't have to.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sentinel said:
The guest speakers for Friday evening will be Dr Thomas Glover and Jesse Feldman. Clay Worst will be spending the weekend with us sporting his new hip and I am sure will once again share some intimate stories of the mountains.

Imagine sitting round the camp fire with the gentlemen above as well as Jack Carlson, Greg Davis, Jack San Felice, Jim Wilson, Howard Hornick, Bob Corbin and Ron Feldman........the voices start to hush and Clay starts telling the story of meeting Erwin Ruth, Herman Petrasch, Brownie Holmes and John Reed. Bob Corbin tells the tale of Crazy Jake. Jack San Felice helps you relive the glory days of the Silver King mine.

If you had attended the rendezvous before, you wouldn't have to.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if Clay was going to be there again - it's good to see he had a nice enough time last year to want to do it again! Also will be good to hear both Dr. Glover and Jesse again as well.

Looking very much forward to it this year!

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

The Fifth Annual Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous will begin next Friday, Oct. 23rd. All are welcome and the Don's Camp is free of charge. Once again, I will have a gas barbecue available to anyone who wants to use it.
There will be enough of Mom's stew to feed around 20 people on a first come first serve basis. Those who have said they will eat with us will be assured of their meal.

Same thing for the bisquits and Italian sausage gravy Saturday morning. Lots of shade at the camp, and a large covered Ramada with a giant fire ring will be available.

I am hoping that a number of the members here will join us. It's a fun and informative event which manages to cover a wide range of lost mines and treasures.

If you have any questions, just post them here.

Joe

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CJ mi buddy: Sniff, I won't be able to attend this year again. It is for reasons outside of my control, but please 'post a large card saying that "Don Jose de La Mancha and REAL de TAYOPA" wishes them a great time again'.

However, when I am able to attend, I will saturate them with stories of Jesuit mines and treasures, especially TAYOPA, the competition to the LDM.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Real de Tayopa said:
CJ mi buddy: Sniff, I won't be able to attend this year again. It is for reasons outside of my control, but please 'post a large card saying that "Don Jose de La Mancha and REAL de TAYOPA" wishes them a great time again'.

However, when I am able to attend, I will saturate them with stories of Jesuit mines and treasures, especially TAYOPA, the competition to the LDM.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Let me be the first to say I'm sorry you won't make it there this year as I hope to meet you in person one day. Despite your experiences not being directly related to the LDM, I'm certain you would have plenty of interested ears around the campfire eager to hear your stories.

Perhaps one of these days you can set up a "Tayopa Rendezvous"?

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I thank you Cubber, my buddy: You posted -->

Perhaps one of these days you can set up a "Tayopa Rendezvous"?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Could be -- with all of the booze, broads and gigalos that you might want ???

Don Jose de La Mancha

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Don Jose,

Have to echo Paul's sentiments. It would be great to have you there discussing Tayopa. You would find many who are more than familiar with the story.

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Dr. Glover arrived in Arizona today and stopped here for lunch. He will be at the Rendezvous Friday night and join us for dinner. As has been mentioned, he will give a talk Friday evening. He decided to return for breakfast Saturday morning and spend part of the day at the camp.

Thomas has spent countless hours, in and out of the country, chasing the facts and rumors about Jacob Waltz and his mine. He was good friends with many of the old timers who are no longer with us.

For anyone interested in the LDM, this is a chance that should not be missed. Clay Worst, Thomas Glover, Bob Corbin, Greg Davis, Jesse Feldman and a number of other authors as well as unpublished researchers will be sitting around camp. Usually they gather in one place, so the conversation can get pretty interesting.

None of us are getting any younger, so don't look back and kick yourself for not meeting these folks in person. If you are on the fence about coming, this is the time to make your decision. I doubt there is any question concerning the legend that can't be answered in this years camp.

Hope to see many of you folks there. :coffee2:

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Joe, you said...

I doubt there is any question concerning the legend that can't be answered in this years camp.

That's true, but what you didn't mention is that one may get 5 different answers from 5 different people depending on the question :).

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Paul, my friend,

That's very true, but in this day and age........It's all about options. :thumbsup:

See you soon,

Joe

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

All,

The gate for the Don's Camp will be open Friday morning for early arrivals. There is plenty of room to set up your camp, close to others or a bit farther away if you're so inclined.

There is plenty of shade, bring your own chairs. We will have extra cold water and a few extra chairs, along with tables set up by our trailer. Once again, the gas barbecue will be available to anyone who needs it. We will have Mom's stew, garlic toast and Roger's salad for those who come in Friday night. Should have enough for 30 people, but those who have reserved their dinner will be served first.

I should be able to feed a like number Saturday morning, same deal on who gets to eat.

Hope to see more wives and kids this year, as it's a good family outing. .

East on 60 to Peralta Rd. Left on paved......it turns into hard packed dirt. There will be signs at the Don's Camp entrance,(it's a left turn) but if you get to Peralta Trailhead, you have gone too far. Once you turn off Peralta Rd.
come in a little ways and look to your right. The gate to the camp will be uphill from you.

Map2D_2.jpg

Closer map:

Map2D_1.jpg

You will need to bring drinks, lunchs, breakfast for Sunday Morning and Dinner for Saturday night. I would suggest you have something for Friday night as well as Saturday morning, as I will only have a limited amount of food. When I run out, you're on your own.

The numbers got a little out of hand last year. I had enough for twenty people, but folks were coming out of the woodwork. I can cook for a lot of people, but we may have to go to advance tickets for meals, and a small charge next year. :dontknow:

Take care,

Joe

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)

HOLA amigos,
Well Mrs O and I will not be attending yet again this year, despite even successfully arranging for the time off we could not get the roof done in time. Rains delayed everything. So we wish you all to have a great time, and hope you will share some of what you hear when you are back. :thumbsup:
your friends in 'Dakota Territory'
Roy & Beth

PS I too agree that a Tayopa rendezvous would be an excellent idea! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:

Gossamer

Apr 1, 2008
AZ

Hello All...
Well I will be at the Rendezvous! I'm going to try to make it Friday and Saturday. Looking forward to the visit.
Janiece

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Janiece,

I think Carolyn and I can speak for a number of Dutch Hunters...... :hello2: :icon_thumleft: :D :hello2:

Take care,

Joe

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Janiece, will be nice to see you again and hear how your research is going. Oro and Mrs. Oro - I'm sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it this year, but having a roof over your head with winter at the door sounds like a pretty good reason (hehe).

Gotta get back to last minute packing - cya all Friday night

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

All,

Just home from the 2009 Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous. It was a great event, with two days of really good attendance. I apologize for not having any decent pictures, and hope others will post some here. Sammy took a lot of pictures, and when he gets them to me I will post them.

My thanks to all my friends, and Cousin Sammy for helping me break camp. I fear I would still be there without their help.

It was a pleasure to meet Ellie, his son and his partner. They were a good addition to our conversations.
Janiece came late Friday night and we did not get much chance to visit with her. Carolyn and I are hoping she will be able to spend more time with us next year.

There were many new people attending this year's event. Garry Cundiff (Novice) surprised me by showing up both days. It was Garry's first Rendezvous, and he came all the way from Missouri. On that count, he did not travel the farthest. Paul (Cubfan64) came, for the third time, all the way from New Hampshire. Roger attended his fifth Rendezvous, coming out from Texas. Tom Lamonica came, for the second time, from Alaska.

Bob Corbin made his second Rendezvous, and kept our attention with talk of politics and Dutch Hunting.
There is never a dull moment when Bob has the floor.

I didn't count, but there were many women at the Rendezvous this year, including Carol Cundiff. Virginia Peralta, a direct descendant of the Peralta's we are interested in, was brought out by Bob Schoose, both first time attendees.

Phil Reinhardt and Rick Gwinn were there, second or third time for Phil and the first for Rick. I had met Rick a number of years ago in the Superstitions. It was good to see him again and I hope he keeps coming to the event in future years.

Ralph Johnson, who has never posted, but been a "lurker" for a number of years, drove out all the way from Oklahoma. I have no doubt he will become a good friend and will return to visit us again. Another first timer was Bill Fincham from Wichita, Kansas. Bill was a real gentleman and has been coming to the Superstitions for, I believe he said, twenty years. There were many other local first timers to the Rendezvous. Many are "old timers" in the Dutch Hunting Community.

I will post more about the Rendezvous as time permits, and I am sure others will do the same. We are looking forward to seeing more of our T-Net friends, who could not attend this year, make the trip in 2010.

Carolyn and I feel this was the best attended, as well as the BEST, Rendezvous ever.

Take care,

Joe

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Joe,
I do wish I could have attended,
My weekends are completely full with the new job's work schedule.
I do hope one day to get there though .
I am anxious to put faces with names.

Thom

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

Thom,

Would have loved to see you there. Over the two days, we probably had over fifty people attend. Next year's Rendezvous will be here before you know it. As soon as they set the date, I will let everyone know.

Take care,

Joe

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona

All,

I would like to thank our friend, Tom Kollenborn, for sending a first edition copy of his book to be raffled off at the Rendezvous. It was won by Garry Cundiff (Novice), and I can't think of a more appropriate winner. Both Tom and Garry have given a great deal to the LDM Community. Kudos to both men.

The Sixth Annual Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous is just around the corner, so start making your plans.......now. :clock: :wink:

Take care,

Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread