LOST

Nugget Hunter Smith

Jun 18, 2010
Mobile, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not hold out to much hope of them being found alive. All three had medical "conditions" and it has been almost a week since they were heard from. The desert out here is very unforgiving!
When are the LDM hunters going to realize you also need common sense and not try and locate it during the summer. It is bad enough to tackle the Sups in the cooler winter months much less when it is 110 or more now.
I see this happen all the time out here. They still have not found the body of the young man from Colorado that was lost last fall/winter.

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Nugget Hunter Smith said:
I would not hold out to much hope of them being found alive. All three had medical "conditions" and it has been almost a week since they were heard from. The desert out here is very unforgiving!
When are the LDM hunters going to realize you also need common sense and not try and locate it during the summer. It is bad enough to tackle the Sups in the cooler winter months much less when it is 110 or more now.
I see this happen all the time out here. They still have not found the body of the young man from Colorado that was lost last fall/winter.

We had a search and rescue mission in western New Mexico two years ago looking for a Lost Adams Diggings pilgrim who disappeared in 100+ degree weather in the godawfullest steep and rugged terrain above the Rio San Francisco near Mule Creek. This guy considered himself some sort of a holy man and was dressed in a full-length, zipped-up, black insulated snowmobile suit to 'conserve his bodily fluids'. The guy carried no water, no food. The search, using 100 people, horses, helicopters and fixed-wing aircraft, lasted a full week and ended without a clue. Reluctantly, the search was suspended with all involved assuming the guy had obviously succumbed. Then, a few weeks later, the guy showed up at a local rancher's place and asked for a ride to the highway - still dressed in the snowmobile suit, still without water or food. Go figure.

Nov 2, 2009
"Mountain lions are the main concern — the area is crawling with them — but there's also a danger associated with the grizzled prospectors who squat in these mountains, hunting for gold. Not far from where Capen disappeared, there's a prospector living in the wild, poaching small game and dodging any Forest Service personnel who might make their way up the road to catch him digging on government land.

"We've seen [prospectors] dropped off and the vehicles leaving. They walk right past us. They don't want us to see their face. They don't want to talk to us," Cooper says. "We've found shovels, picks, pry-bars, axes, pans.... There's a lot of mine shafts in that area. You've got these Gold Rush guys digging all sorts of holes."

These Gold Rush guys — some Dutchman hunters, others regular prospectors — are wild cards. Not only are they secretive, but they've got a long and sordid history in the Superstitions; they're known to be dangerous." Quoted By Robert Cooper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Decided to take a look at SFNM's last post.

For those who may not know, Robert Cooper is the SAR Commander down there. He was, of course, also involved in Jesse Capen's search.

Joe Ribaudo

Nov 2, 2009
"John,

I need a little of your help, if you can.

I don't know if you know it, but there are 3 hikers from Utah missing in the Supes.

They had a bunch of different maps in their vehicle - including some stuff from your "I found the LDM using Google Earth".

I'm hoping you can help with which way they would have hiked up to that area that you have marked - they want to fly a helicopter
over it tomorrow, if possible.

There seem to be a bunch of "newbies" around there, some talking about the coordinates, etc. Coordinates are one thing, how you
get your body up there from 3 different directions is quite another.

Any input would be very appreciated by the searchers. The trails leading up there is the most important, since these guys left with
no provisions, thinking they could do a "day-trip" every day.

Thanks,

Beth" No problem Beth let me give you my opinion. Best Regards John V. Kemm Also I would appreciate Jim Hatts and Cactus Joes Take As well as Mike Mcchesneys And anyone elses opinion for that matter. And thankyou beth for promptly bringing this to my attention.

Nov 2, 2009
This is my Opinion Beth """"Thanks Again"""""

Attachments

• A Possible Trail.jpg
    A Possible Trail.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 1,619
Nov 12, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This photo shows the way to what is described by some as the LDM you would get to this point and then take the trail next to the Peter's Mesa, aka Peralta Mt. aka Black to Mesa that runs along side, the one closest to the top of the photo and the most crooked water in the pic. That the photograph given to the sheriffs as the "lightning bolt". I hope this helps on which way to take the trail. I will try to add closeups of the trail when I locate them. Find those guys now.
[/img][/img][/img]

Attachments

• trek.jpg
    trek.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 529
  • 1stwater.jpg
    1stwater.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 450

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread