OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Janiece,

Your name was mentioned a number of times. Believe you were missed by quite a few of us. Maybe next year.

There were a number of people at the Rendezvous, who would have disagreed that I deserved any recognition at all. Despite that, I was a proud papa at how the kid had grown.

Hope all is well with you.

Take care,

Joe

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe:
I think the number of those who may have objected to your award were very few. The recognition is well deserved IMO, and the continued popularity and enthusiasm shown by the attendees should alone be enough to bring you great satisfaction in having been the originator of this annual event.

Janiece:
I too was disappointed that you were unable to join us this year.
And I certainly hope your troubles are resolved, and that you can return next year.

Regards:Wayne

Last edited:
OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Photos courtesy of Tom Kollenborn:

DSCN6952.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kinda particular aren't you Sam? Heck, you should smell me after a few weeks on the trail, using the saddle blanket saturated with mule sweat to sleep with, added to my distinctive odor, and you will find why most of the lonely ranch gals soon disappeared after initially showing great interest. Yer spoiled !

I suppose that you still think that the exquisitely hair styled, lovely gals in the western movies weren't loaded with dust, and strong body odors after days in the stage coach or riding in a covered wagon. Sheesh this modern generation.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Gork

Dec 13, 2004
kinda particular aren't you Sam? Heck, you should smell me after a few weeks on the trail, using the saddle blanket saturated with mule sweat to sleep with, added to my distinctive odor, and you will find why most of the lonely ranch gals soon disappeared after initially showing great interest. Yer spoiled !

I suppose that you still think that the exquisitely hair styled, lovely gals in the western movies weren't loaded with dust, and strong body odors after days in the stage coach or riding in a covered wagon. Sheesh this modern generation.

Don Jose de La Mancha
Your comment about the bad conditions riding in a stagecoach reminds me of statement made by Ralph Pumpelly in his My Reminiscences. He was a passenger on a Butterfield Overland Mail Company stagecoach heading through Arizona in October 1860:

"My immediate neighbors were a tall Missourian, with his wife and two young daughters; and from his family arose a large part of the discomfort of the journey. The man was a border bully, armed with revolver, knife, and rifle; the woman a very hag, following the disgusting habit of dipping--filling the air, and covering her cloths with snuff; the girls for several days overcome by sickness, and in this having no regard for the cloths of their neighbors;--these were circumstances which offered slight promise of pleasure at the best, could only be tedious and difficult."

He goes on to tell of the tortuous conditions riding on the stagecoach for twenty-four hours a day and the hallucinations caused by lack of sleep: "The impossibility of sleeping had made me half-delirious, and we had gone but a few miles before I nearly unseated the driver by starting suddenly out of a dream. I was told the safety of the passengers demanded that I should keep awake; and as the only means of affecting this, my neighbors beat a constant tattoo with their elbows upon my ribs."
From: The Butterfield Trail and Overland Mail Company in Arizona, 1858-1861.

Mtn.treasure

Dec 4, 2010
Black.mtn.
Detector(s) used
AT PRO GARRETT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PLEASE LET ME NO ABOUT ANY HUNTS,THANKS I LIVE IN BLK.MTN.ME AND SON METAL DETECT ALL THE TIME LOOKING FOR FRIENDS,FINDING SOME REALLY COOL CIVIL WAR RELICS IN ASHEVILLE AREA.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Allo mi forlorn luv, Beth - shaddup oro, you have the baskervilles, incidentally, I got along just fine with them after allowing them to get to know me. Frankly I am not too sure who has the most facial hair they or you?

Seriously I truly did enjoy our brief meeting, sigh but apts didn't allow it to be longer.

Dan, el Teddy bear, June, Bob, and of course, the new wonderful pooch, were very gracious hosts at their new home in Tumacori - even IF I had to bring my own OXO coffee.

Now get to writing Oro !!

Don Jose de La Mancha

P.S. Now that I look back on it, I realize that the Teddy bear managed to get more information out of us than we did out of him??

OP
OP
cactusjumper

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Bob Corbin's speech at our award presentation:

Picture by Tom Kollenborn

At the end of that presentation, Bob and I shook hand and many pictures were taken. I would appreciate it if anyone who has such a picture would let me know. I would like copies.

Many thanks,

Joe Ribaudo

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread