Cactus Jumper/Pinto Valley

Broken Pick

Aug 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
For give me a long post. Joe in 9-10-2010 you're post was LDM east of the supes. I have made trips into the supes not searching for the LDM but because they are beautiful & spooky. I have always believed that the LDM is in the 4 peaks area,sorry I've got off of the subject of Pinto Valley. Years ago you could travel the length of pinto creek all the way to the salt river. There was always h2o in places & some of the best quail/dove hunting in the state. Pinto creek was lined with large sycamores & cotton wood. The upper end of pinto creek is all claimed. I have found some color & pickers on the west fork of pinto creek. I also found where the chinese worked an area using a system called dry land sluceing. On the lower end they used a dry land dredge the piles of rubble are huge. There used to be ranchers all along pinto creek, they sold out to the BLM . The BLM keeps moving the wilderness area closer to pinto creek. I'am going to try to post some pics of a gold mine that has took me a long time to find. I found some tailings that was over grown with brush & the mesquite/oak /manzinete was huge. After a couple hrs. of searching I found a small animal hole underneath an out cropping of granite/quartz. I enlarged the hole so I could see in. I crawled inside looking for snakes & checked the ground. Than I called to my pardner to come in. I checked the tunnel & found some minor cave ins. I did not try to find the end of the tunnel, because I did not have any safety instruments not even a candle. P.S. you noted a couple of books for research "Superstition Wilderness Trails East " Authored by Jack Carlson & Elizabeth Stewart. After publication they came by the ranch & gave me a personalized copy. I highly recommend this read. Hopefully friend Broken Pick ( Bill Shaffer) take care GOD BLESS View attachment 1049499 View attachment 1049500 View attachment 1049501 View attachment 1049503

sgtfda

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2004
Mesa Arizona
Thanks for posting that Bill. I've found that the Chinese hit a spot they cleaned it out. I hit a spot near Rich Hill with a detector. Kept finding little shoe tacks. A guy told me they were from the Chinese shoes. Yep. They cleaned that spot out.

OP
OP
B

Broken Pick

Aug 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
hey sarge thanks for replying. After the rail roads where finished the Chinese went prospecting. they tried prospecting with the 49ers but got chased out or killed. Take care sarge GOD BLESS. Broken Pick

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
BP,

Believe this came from an old book:

It's just east of the Pit Mine that is suspected to be the source of Waltz's ore. That may have been a cache for some of the gold ore that was mined in the Superstitions by early miners. (Peralta)?

Good luck,

Joe

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Broken Pick

Aug 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks cj Geting ready to go scouting for deer My hunt 1st week of oct Take care bp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread