Site Question

mpwuzhere

Mar 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, found this site after watching the show on History Channel. I had always wanted to go hiking in the Superstitions for "a chance" of finding something.
I'm not a gold hunter, I'm more interested in legends and anything historical. I even have some mine maps around Tucson, where I used to live..somewhere. Used to check out the mines in the Sierra Nevadas East of Bakersfield when I lived there too...

But anyway.. I was following a stream bed that parallels the Apache Trail for a while and tried to trace it's source.... After some topo searching...it was Bronco Butte. What peaked my interest was just a little beyond the end of the bed are a bunch of solar panels and a building with what looks like a pipe heading back down to the river.

Anyone from the area know what's up there? It's been over 20 years since I was that way, so I figure someone local would know. What is odd there are no trails going there or roads. Looks to be a possible helipad just South of the site. Nothing is seen, from GE anyway, on the downhill side back to the river/lake..

Just hoping someone can answer my curiosity...

OP
OP
M

mpwuzhere

Mar 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So....in case anybody was wondering why I stopped "exploring"...I have a reason.

When I was in California I used to love rock formations...I'd jump into nook and crannies to see what I could find. A place we used to go camping at when I was in Boy Scouts had a stream that met a rock formation and continued on the other side. Some friends and I found a hole in the rocks and decided to see how far it went. We found that there was a large room underneath with lots of indian petroglyphs and a pool of water. What was awesome was the water was HOT!! There was an underground hot spring that met that rock formation. That is what peaked my curiosity into spelunking and caves and old mines.

After I got out of the Army I lived at my Mom's at the base of the Catalina Mountains...Catalina National Park was right next door.. Near the entrance and the Sutherland Trail there is the remants of an old Pony Express/Stage Coach stop (so I was told).....(Which also peaked my interest from the show finding what could have been a shack remnants). One day I followed the wash North of this ole stop and I happened on a big rock formation. Petroglyphs were common in this area so I decided to see if there was something like what I found in CA. Peeked in a hole and there was a huge room below!! I was just about to drop in when I noticed movement. There were about 6 coyote pups down below. I decided to call it a day and leave and went home. At the time...coyotes were known to be the size of german shepherds that far out. Heck, I saw a jack rabbit whose ears were taller than the bottom front windshield of our Saab 900 turbo...Coyotes were living well on the abundance of cottontails in the area.

I'm pretty far away from Phoenix now....way up in North Idaho to be precise...the show has renewed my curiosity of local tales... I doubt I will get back to Phoenix anytime soon. But glad I can read about other people attempting it here. I used to go mountain biking up near Roosevelt Lake....I didn't realize till now that was part of the Superstitions... I really envy those of you that can take a weekend and go looking. I always loved Arizona....and the fact that even thought it's so freaking hot you could find a nice cool stream to cool off (Sabino Canyon). I'd move back if I could...but I am moving from North Idaho to Dallas, Texas...don't think there is much for legends there to follow....unless I want to try to figure out who shot JR or JFK... (I really never watched Dallas...so I really don't care about JR).

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
But anyway.. I was following a stream bed that parallels the Apache Trail for a while and tried to trace it's source.... After some topo searching...it was Bronco Butte. What peaked my interest was just a little beyond the end of the bed are a bunch of solar panels and a building with what looks like a pipe heading back down to the river.

Anyone from the area know what's up there? It's been over 20 years since I was that way, so I figure someone local would know. What is odd there are no trails going there or roads. Looks to be a possible helipad just South of the site. Nothing is seen, from GE anyway, on the downhill side back to the river/lake..

Just hoping someone can answer my curiosity...

this site az hiker is cool, ive never been to Bronco Butte, but did find
what your talking about, a guy named joe bartels put up this img and
hike report

Bronco Butte Photo #5 ? joe bartels ? 2003-10-27 ? HikeArizona.COM
Bronco Butte Photoset ? joe bartels ? 2003-10-27 ? HikeArizona.COM

there may be more in these reports
Bronco Butte ? Hiking ? Arizona ? All Triplogs ? HikeArizona.COM

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Radio relay station. (Maricopa County Sheriff's Office)
Yes, there is a helipad on site for service and repair of the facility.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like some interesting hikes. I would have to take some pics of those places. Thanks for sharing

OP
OP
M

mpwuzhere

Mar 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this site az hiker is cool, ive never been to Bronco Butte, but did find
what your talking about, a guy named joe bartels put up this img and
hike report

Bronco Butte Photo #5 ? joe bartels ? 2003-10-27 ? HikeArizona.COM
Bronco Butte Photoset ? joe bartels ? 2003-10-27 ? HikeArizona.COM

there may be more in these reports
Bronco Butte ? Hiking ? Arizona ? All Triplogs ? HikeArizona.COM

Ah...thought it might be radio towers...The shadows probably blended with the mountain shadow...

Thanks for the links and solving my curiosity....

OP
OP
M

mpwuzhere

Mar 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So are they in the creek I was following up? lol It looks like the only place you can get a boat in...

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I meant to remove that post. Honestly I could be wrong, so please don't take my word for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread