Season finale of Superstition Mountains show....

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Reading through the posts, most opinions are critical of the show and the featured five. What I realize though is, positive or negative, we are watching the show, mission accomplished by History Channel, to get us to watch it...after that they care less what we think LOL. Payday for them!
That's not how it works. If it doesn't continue, they will be lucky to break even.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reading about the cross on the back wall of the cave, I would have removed it or took a pick and sledge hammer to the back wall and see if it was a false room, but being there would be someone's estimated $200,000,000 in gold someone made up, I could care less and I would have gotten it out of there if it was in there if I found it! I would be throwing all kinds of gold bars down to the ground and holler "heads up" as each one went airborne!

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not how it works. If it doesn't continue, they will be lucky to break even.

They are already in the hole from buying those brand new snake proof gaiters and leaving their gear when they thought someone was following them and left a "black hand" print at their camp site!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

If they paid Sonny to pack them in, then he did okay. Since Frank and Woody are retired (more or less), all their time is their own. Eric is a Fire Fighter/EMT, so he likely lost a little money. Wayne has a good job, so he likely lost some or broke even. Nobody gets much in reality shows until it gets picked up and/or goes into syndication.

Mike

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
If they paid Sonny to pack them in, then he did okay. Since Frank and Woody are retired (more or less), all their time is their own. Eric is a Fire Fighter/EMT, so he likely lost a little money. Wayne has a good job, so he likely lost some or broke even. Nobody gets much in reality shows until it gets picked up and/or goes into syndication.

Mike

On the flip side they are cheap to produce. Hence the complaints.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How can they think that this cave hasn't been explored, WHEN THERE IS A GIANT LADDER THERE! :BangHead:

I guess someone went to a lot of bother to build a giant ladder, in a hard to get to spot, just to walk away after seeing a walled up tunnel, with an old cross in it.:tongue3:

Wouldn't you at least scratch the cross and the wall around it to see what they were made of?

They didn't even suggest a walled up tunnel.

Even if the ladder builders were there for guano, I think the cross would have got their attention.

What's with the old guy and his cigar? I never see him smoke, and it's always the same length, wth?

Stupid show, but I have to admit, I'm hooked.:laughing7:

Lisarez66

Dec 5, 2014
EastCoast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher
GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was getting bored with it, till the last episode. That was well done, ill watch a few when it comes back on..

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
For example. Someone climbs that ladder to see a planted cross that was represented as authentic and a archeological relic. Well the ladder snaps, that someone falls and breaks their back. If it could be proven that the producers or any employee planted that cross, and represented it as authentic, there is some liability. And if it was filmed without permit, in the SWA, then it becomes a criminal act under Federal jurisdiction. PAYDAY.

All a lawyer needs is a copy of the last episode to file a lawsuit. There wasn't even a warning preceding the show that what follows is a reconstruction, or a work of fiction, and someone is going to have a field day with this.

I thought it was pretty irresponsible for Go-Go Luckey to do something like that- film someone going up the ladder to the bat cave without some sort of disclaimer preceding the episode. Even if the FS remove the ladder, someone is still going to try and freestyle up to the crevice.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey LV Bob,

Haven't heard from you in a while. Anything exciting at Kokoweef? Or are you still involved with that?

Mike
Hay Mike yeah it's been a while, I still have a vested interest in Kokoweef, and still involved. As far as new and exciting, we are always following new leads and getting excited, but as we grow older we are not following them as fast as we once did LOL.

Las Vegas Bob

Aug 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a Forest Service fan I take it.

Anyway, these guys are about to experience what Herny Hill called "the bad time". Go easy on the cast. It's the production company that should be taking the blows.

No I'm not, the Forest Circus rode rough shod over me when I had a placer claim in Downieville CA. Between the FC and the environmentalist they made the miners the endangered species.

BTW who is Herny Hill, or do you mean Henry Hill from Good Fellows?

spummerr

Mar 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ever wonder how long and how many people it took to haul 200 million in gold up to that little cave? Bet it was a chore before that ladder was built! :laughing7:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Ever wonder how long and how many people it took to haul 200 million in gold up to that little cave? Bet it was a chore before that ladder was built! :laughing7:

Last night it was said that "This is 10x bigger than the dutchman," so the new number is $2 billion.

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Someone said there was a wire hanging down, maybe they used that and got tired of their hands hurting from pulling the wire with the gold hanging on it and built the ladder to make it easier! :whip2:

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think the show is going to find much at all, Its all about the exploits of the guys to make a show, sorry to burst the bubble of you believers of the legend. Its just not going to be in this show! what is interesting though is the hints of signs and topography the guys see and don't tell here, saving for later maybe? Got to make the series though! Its still makes good TV, I would have done it given the chance. LOL! Beautiful country there even though its hot. Its all in the thrill of the hunt-that's why we are all on T-Net and the guys on the show are just like all of us..Maybe after the show we'll find out what they really learned on their fact finding adventure!!!!

FinderKeeper

Bronze Member
Apr 7, 2007
Clearfield Pa. and Nova Scotia, Canada
Detector(s) used
Schonstedt sopt, GPL , 2 box, Dowsing Rods, Long Range Locators, Radar, Bounty Hunter & a lot more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK no one climbs a 100yr old + latter that fast. Unless he climb it many times before. They kept yelling for him to slow down. No way was the latter there for 100's of years and if it was the cross would of been known. I will bet the cross is gone when they return. I think everything found on the show was faked . Yet I like the show.:dontknow:

AZMIke

Mar 16, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished watching the season finale. The entire show is scripted and staged. I have hiked, backpacked and canyoneered the Superstition Mountains for more than 20 years and know that area very well. I'm out there 20 or 30 times a year. There are no Indians, no ghosts, and nobody is following people looking for the gold. The producers are trying to create the drama to get people to watch and it works. There are definitely Indian artifacts, petroglyphs and ruins throughout the Superstitions. It's not unusual to see them.

In the finale, the canyon they were in is called Crucifix Canyon, which empties into Canyon Lake (Salt River is dammed up). I've been down Crucifix a number of times. It's named after the natural crucifix high upon Black Cross Butte. I've also been in Hose Canyon which is a technical canyon requiring 3 rappels to get through, and it empties into Crucifix Canyon. People have been up in the bat cave although I have not. I don't know if there is a cross in there but I would doubt it.

I know that they hype the show up with as much drama as they can, but these 5 treasure hunters are idiots who have never spent a day hiking in the Supes. Nobody goes out wearing and carrying all of that gear. Desert hiking is completely different than anything else and it requires the right gear and know-how. These bozos don't have a clue.

R

RMG1976

I just finished watching the season finale. The entire show is scripted and staged. I have hiked, backpacked and canyoneered the Superstition Mountains for more than 20 years and know that area very well. I'm out there 20 or 30 times a year. There are no Indians, no ghosts, and nobody is following people looking for the gold. The producers are trying to create the drama to get people to watch and it works. There are definitely Indian artifacts, petroglyphs and ruins throughout the Superstitions. It's not unusual to see them.

In the finale, the canyon they were in is called Crucifix Canyon, which empties into Canyon Lake (Salt River is dammed up). I've been down Crucifix a number of times. It's named after the natural crucifix high upon Black Cross Butte. I've also been in Hose Canyon which is a technical canyon requiring 3 rappels to get through, and it empties into Crucifix Canyon. People have been up in the bat cave although I have not. I don't know if there is a cross in there but I would doubt it.

I know that they hype the show up with as much drama as they can, but these 5 treasure hunters are idiots who have never spent a day hiking in the Supes. Nobody goes out wearing and carrying all of that gear. Desert hiking is completely different than anything else and it requires the right gear and know-how. These bozos don't have a clue.

They aren't bozos - they are just sell-outs to the production company because they were unsuccessful in their ventures in the Superstition Mountains. Have to make all the money they spend on dousing rods and metal detectors back somehow!

I am new here as well, but you will find many members that will defend the actions of their buddies (some of the actors are members here).

I agree with your post, wholeheartedly

Idaho Redneck

Greenie
Apr 2, 2014
Idaho
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Damn.........lol, im a newb here but I know for a fact one of these bozos as you call them, is a member here and has also found lots of superstition gold...........

So lighten up will ya, its a show made for tv, with all the drama and BS to go with it............

On a side note, the cross in the batcave, surley its staged, but from reading lots of posts here "Somehiker" has been there with photos.......

Can some one link me to this thread I have searched but cannot find it.

spummerr

Mar 31, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The cross is gone, They only rented it from a prop shop for 2 days.

OK no one climbs a 100yr old + latter that fast. Unless he climb it many times before. They kept yelling for him to slow down. No way was the latter there for 100's of years and if it was the cross would of been known. I will bet the cross is gone when they return. I think everything found on the show was faked . Yet I like the show.:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions