Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree165Likes

Thread: Exact location where Dick Holmes dug up the Dutchmans Nephew?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    EDN
    us
    Apr 2016
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Minelab Eureka Gold
    38 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    For anyone interested in pursuing this story, Matthew's, and others, for the location of the nephew's body is approximately:

N33 55' 41.8" and W111 26' 13.9" on your GPS.

That location will put you about 12 miles Northwesterly from Weaver's Needle. The first question that comes to mind, is why Waltz was that far away from the area he was going to send Julia and Rhiney? There are other questions, but that should do for now.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Joe are you sure these are the coordinates to the location where the nephews body? This spot is about 34 miles away from weavers needle. This is the coordinates I used 33°55'41.8"N 111°26'13.9"W. The other format (decimal degrees) I'm used to using is Lat,Log 33.928278°,-111.437194°. Would you mind rechecking and letting us know if there is a typo in the GPS location you mentioned.

Thanks,
    EDN
    cactusjumper likes this.

us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / White's Goldmaster 4B / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6287 times
    EDN,

You are correct. Joe's coordinates actually put you about 34.4 miles Northwest of Weaver's Needle, and about 26 miles North of Canyon Lake.

Joe,

Have an update on that? HAHAHA

Mike
    My Motto: "KEEP AT IT!"

............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

ca
    May 2007
    4687 times
    I have Hidden Water marked here on GE.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hidden Water.bmp 
Views:	267 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	1301104

There are two photos posted as well.
    Hell,you ain't never too old to look!

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    5291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EDN View Post
    For anyone interested in pursuing this story, Matthew's, and others, for the location of the nephew's body is approximately:

N33 55' 41.8" and W111 26' 13.9" on your GPS.

That location will put you about 12 miles Northwesterly from Weaver's Needle. The first question that comes to mind, is why Waltz was that far away from the area he was going to send Julia and Rhiney? There are other questions, but that should do for now.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Joe are you sure these are the coordinates to the location where the nephews body? This spot is about 34 miles away from weavers needle. This is the coordinates I used 33°55'41.8"N 111°26'13.9"W. The other format (decimal degrees) I'm used to using is Lat,Log 33.928278°,-111.437194°. Would you mind rechecking and letting us know if there is a typo in the GPS location you mentioned.

Thanks,
    EDN
    EDN & Mike,

Don't know where I got those coordinates, but the place that I have marked on my Topo is, N33 35 41.62 W111 26 15.31. Sorry for the mix up.

Like I always say.......Check everyone's "facts", even your own.

Good luck,

Joe
    " Hell, I was there!" Elmer Keith
    "There is an ancient proverb that says a man can never forgive you for a wrong he has done you." From a wise friend.

EDN
    us
    Apr 2016
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Minelab Eureka Gold
    38 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusjumper View Post
    EDN & Mike,

Don't know where I got those coordinates, but the place that I have marked on my Topo is, N33 35 41.62 W111 26 15.31. Sorry for the mix up.

Like I always say.......Check everyone's "facts", even your own.

Good luck,

Joe
    Joe,

Thanks for checking!

EDN

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    5291 times
    Quote Originally Posted by EDN View Post
    Joe,

Thanks for checking!

EDN
    EDN,

Glad to be prodded into making a correction. I may not be as reliable as I once was.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo
    "There is an ancient proverb that says a man can never forgive you for a wrong he has done you." From a wise friend.

us
    Nov 2004
    195 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cactusjumper View Post
    EDN,

Glad to be prodded into making a correction. I may not be as reliable as I once was.

Take care,

Joe Ribaudo

I don't know about the reliability but you are for sure getting funnier.

Best wishes,
    Poncho

us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / White's Goldmaster 4B / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6287 times
    Thanks Joe,

I was wondering why in hell Waltz would drag Weiser's (if he even existed) body THAT far North of Phoenix? HAHAHA

Mike
    My Motto: "KEEP AT IT!"

............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

EDN
    us
    Apr 2016
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Minelab Eureka Gold
    38 times
    Joe,

My intent wasn't to call you out or make you fix a mistake. I really just wanted to get the conversation started and wanted to double check what I always thought was this place. This place has always intrigued me because of the number of times I heard it referenced. I'm sure just about everyone on this forum that lives around here has been out to this place. It's a pretty cool area. There is a very interesting black rock just outside the canyon to the north as the wash makes a sharp turn. The rock looks like it comes from deep in the earth. It is very different from the other types of rocks found in that area. I wonder if the water is there because it cannot penetrate the rock underneath that area. I will try to take some pictures of the rock I mentioned the next time I'm out there.

Does anyone know if a wagon could travel from Cottonwood Canyon down to the Salt River? I have driven my quad down there and it is extremely rough.

EDN
    us
    Apr 2016
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Minelab Eureka Gold
    38 times
    The rock is at Rock is at 33.592773°, -111.442404°.

EDN

Dec 2005
    Arizona
    5291 times
    EDN,

I took no offense whatsoever. I'm not a fan of any information/clues that originate from the Holmes Manuscript. On the other hand, it could all be .....pretty much, true.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
    Oroblanco likes this.

mx
    Nov 2004
    Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
    11803 times
    Ed, the pioners, crossed the Sierra Nevadas in wagons. The Dutchmans Mtne area would be a picnic in comparison.
    "I exist to live, not live to exist"

gr
    Oct 2012
    4812 times
    Don Jose

I believe you can not drive a wagon in the LDM area . But a picnic you can take overlooking the Military trail .
    Marius

If your true to your heart,you will never go wrong.The truth is the truth,no matter how you look at it,and in every treasure story and legend there is a grain of truth . It's up to your spirit and heart to know the difference. NP

Jan 2013
    158 times
    Good afternoon gentlemen,

Up here in Prescott it is warm and windy, and my choices this Friday afternoon are being inside enjoying a bit of civilized Dutchman banter, or laying more of a cement flagstone base for a raised bed. Guess which one lost.

Just a few points:

• George “Brownie” Holmes did write the manuscript we know today.

• I have talked with three people who watched him do it, er them. For it was not one manuscript; he kept making changes. And in days before word processors that could mean typing a whole chapter over. Some of the different versions in whole or in part are in the archives of the Superstition Mountain Historical Society.

• In the end Brownie decided not to have the manuscript published. It came to the public inadvertently. How Higham got his copy I know not, and have yet to find someone who does (for certain). That the Historical Society has parts of different versions arises from a near accident going back many decades to Tina’s Tiny Tavern. In no way was Brownie responsible for the manuscript becoming public.

• Kennison, I am told by a very reliable source, wrote the first draft and it was such a dime novel that Brownie essentially fired him. Brownie had specific reasons for wanting the manuscript out in public. But he never had a version that suited him or his motives.

• The question about why Waltz would take himself and his nephew on such a circuitous route back to Phoenix is a good question. Of course, if Waltz’s destination (real or used as an excuse) was not Phoenix then perhaps the route was not inappropriate---say Fort McDowell or its store? The site is remote enough that if the act was premeditated it could serve one’s purposes rather well. And my understanding is that the issue that got the nephew killed was one that had been simmering for some time.

• As for Waltz’s nephew, on our trip to Germany some years ago we (Carol and I) may have found a record of his name, his coming to American and disappearing.

• As for what happened on Waltz’s last night I respectfully beg off for some later time.

Happy Trails All!

Thomas

ca
    May 2007
    4687 times
    Thanks Thomas...esp. for helping to clear up the questions raised about the source(s) of the manuscript.
    I've wondered if one of the reasons for Brownie having disavowed the whole thing ( to some) was, in part, because of his friendship with Clay Worst.
    That perhaps in doing so, he felt that he was helping Clay's own search by having others doubt the contents of the manuscript ??
    Did Higham know Kennison ?
    If so, perhaps it was Kennison who supplied an early version or draft, after being let go by Brownie.

Regards:Wayne S.
    Last edited by somehiker; Apr 22, 2016 at 08:24 PM.
    Hell,you ain't never too old to look!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links