The very FIRST articles ever published about the Lost Dutchmans mine

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
... anyone know who Milton F.Rose is,or know of the research material ...

He was a well-known and controversial treasure writer whose ancestors were involved in lost mine hunting in Arizona way back in the day. A friend of mine, whom I have lost contact with over the years, ran an assay lab in Phoenix back in the 60s and knew Rose very well. He had free access to Rose's research library, which he described as "unbelievable, fantastic." I don't know what became of all that material when Rose passed, but my friend gave me one of the unpublished manuscripts (typed, with many handwritten notes in the margins) for something we had a common interest in and all I can say is that I was impressed. My friend acknowledged Rose's reputation with other THers, but had full faith in him and said something like, "He was a very complex man."

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He was a well-known and controversial treasure writer whose ancestors were involved in lost mine hunting in Arizona way back in the day. A friend of mine, whom I have lost contact with over the years, ran an assay lab in Phoenix back in the 60s and knew Rose very well. He had free access to Rose's research library, which he described as "unbelievable, fantastic." I don't know what became of all that material when Rose passed, but my friend gave me one of the unpublished manuscripts (typed, with many handwritten notes in the margins) for something we had a common interest in and all I can say is that I was impressed. My friend acknowledged Rose's reputation with other THers, but had full faith in him and said something like, "He was a very complex man."

Milton Rose associated quite a bit with John D. Mitchell the famous lost mine and treasure author. Milton got a lot of his ideas and theories from Mitchell and other authors/writers who hung around the newspaper office in Chandler.

Rose picked most of his research straight out of newspaper archives he had access to. He has an extensive collection of early material. He believed the lost dutch mine was on the west side of four peaks in the Mazatzal mountains. Rose got a lot of things right but a lot wrong also due to his belief that every newspaper story was 100% truth.

In his final years Rose's mind left him and this was when he began to put together his notes and manuscripts. Milton even confessed to murdering Adolph Ruth during this final period of his life.

Regardless of what people think of Rose, and he could be a caustic, opinionated SOB, I admire him greatly for his lifelong dedication to dutchman history and the years he spent with his boots in the dirt.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
some interesting snips from this book.........

Lost mines and buried treasures of the West : bibliography and place names, from
Kansas west to California, Oregon, Washington, and Mexico by Thomas Probert

can be found here, its free to sign up and borrow
https://archive.org/details/lostminesburiedt00prob

i havent looked for this article yet, sounds like it
might be about julia
A Queer Quest Another Lost Mine Being Hunted By a Woman
Arizona weekly Gazette,sept.1,1892

View attachment 1744468

anyone know who Milton F.Rose is,or know of the research material

View attachment 1744469

how the dutchman/waltz section is set up, there are 15pgs
of listed books, articles. from pg 25-39 in book

View attachment 1744470
rose wrote an article in one of the old western magazines called "i found a lost mine" its a very interesting read...he actually write about finding a few lost mines that the indians showed him

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
Milton F. Rose was born in 1905 and died in Phoenix in 1985. He came out West to attend school and graduated with a degree in Geology. Charles Dewey Rose was his Father, and was born about 1880. Shortly after Milton graduated from school, his Dad moved the family to Phoenix and started a printing business called the Rose Printery. Dewey and Milton loved the outdoors and enjoyed researching and hunting for treasure. They got acquainted with John D. Mitchell and exchanged research materials. Mitchell had started writing feature articles for western magazines, and decided to write a book. His book, "Lost Mines of the Great Southwest" was published by the Rose Printery in 1933. Rose had expressed wishes to write books on the LDM, Tayopa, and the Adams Diggings. His Cousin, William Rose, had worked on trying to locate the Adams, and Milton thought there was a lot more to the story. Milton's "Rainbows End" was never finished before he died. He tried writing some western songs, but did not get mainstream attention from the music industry. He did an interview with John Lawlor in the early 1970s when he was living in Salome, and shortly after, someone broke into his place and stole much of his treasure research files. One of the important documents he lost was a Jesuit waybill written in three languages that described the location of the Tumacacori Treasure. A map was also with it that may be the map that has circulated along with the Molina Derroterro. He told me that he had loaned this to John D. Mitchell when Mitchell was doing research for his 1933 book. Milton hated liars. He recanted on his story, "I found a lost mine" and claimed it was made up, but I suspect that he was concerned that someone was going to come after him for back taxes, violation of archival regulations, or for some other reason. Milton was a kind family man, and successful as a geologist and miner.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Milton F. Rose was born in 1905 and died in Phoenix in 1985. He came out West to attend school and graduated with a degree in Geology. Charles Dewey Rose was his Father, and was born about 1880. Shortly after Milton graduated from school, his Dad moved the family to Phoenix and started a printing business called the Rose Printery. Dewey and Milton loved the outdoors and enjoyed researching and hunting for treasure. They got acquainted with John D. Mitchell and exchanged research materials. Mitchell had started writing feature articles for western magazines, and decided to write a book. His book, "Lost Mines of the Great Southwest" was published by the Rose Printery in 1933. Rose had expressed wishes to write books on the LDM, Tayopa, and the Adams Diggings. His Cousin, William Rose, had worked on trying to locate the Adams, and Milton thought there was a lot more to the story. Milton's "Rainbows End" was never finished before he died. He tried writing some western songs, but did not get mainstream attention from the music industry. He did an interview with John Lawlor in the early 1970s when he was living in Salome, and shortly after, someone broke into his place and stole much of his treasure research files. One of the important documents he lost was a Jesuit waybill written in three languages that described the location of the Tumacacori Treasure. A map was also with it that may be the map that has circulated along with the Molina Derroterro. He told me that he had loaned this to John D. Mitchell when Mitchell was doing research for his 1933 book. Milton hated liars. He recanted on his story, "I found a lost mine" and claimed it was made up, but I suspect that he was concerned that someone was going to come after him for back taxes, violation of archival regulations, or for some other reason. Milton was a kind family man, and successful as a geologist and miner.
good write up on rose..i think the man deserves alot more credit than he is given....everyone i talked to that knew him thought very highly of him...

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

My understanding is that an earlier William Rose was Milton Rose's grandfather and a participant in the 1871 Miner Expedition and other treasure hunts of that era. The older William Rose's journals were reportedly one of the sources for the manuscript I saw that included much "Lost Adams" information. I heard the same story about the I Found a Lost Mine publication.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
My understanding is that an earlier William Rose was Milton Rose's grandfather and a participant in the 1871 Miner Expedition and other treasure hunts of that era. The older William Rose's journals were reportedly one of the sources for the manuscript I saw that included much "Lost Adams" information. I heard the same story about the I Found a Lost Mine publication.

Steve, I've gone through many of the sources for the Miner's Folly AHS article on JSTOR and have yet to find any reference to a "Rose" on the expedition. It's possible I missed it, if anyone has found a ref listing one of Milton's relatives on that expedition, would appreciate a heads-up.

Here's the info on the Miner's Folly article, not sure if it's accessible with a free JSTOR account or not:
View attachment 1744808

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
LOL, thanks SH...I was just getting ready to post these:

View attachment 1744806

View attachment 1744807

Dave, not sure if these are your scans or mine? Can't remember.
in the early 70's one of the western mags put out a special magazine called "gold"..it was a collection of the treasure stories from all the west mags...i have all of them around here somewhere...miltons story was in one of them

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
in the early 70's one of the western mags put out a special magazine called "gold"..it was a collection of the treasure stories from all the west mags...i have all of them around here somewhere...miltons story was in one of them

Dang it Dave now I want to visit YOUR library! :headbang:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve, I've gone through many of the sources for the Miner's Folly AHS article on JSTOR and have yet to find any reference to a "Rose" on the expedition. It's possible I missed it, if anyone has found a ref listing one of Milton's relatives on that expedition, would appreciate a heads-up.

Here's the info on the Miner's Folly article, not sure if it's accessible with a free JSTOR account or not:
View attachment 1744808

Yeah, I was unable to find a full roster of the Miner Expedition either from the sources I checked. The Miner Expedition is a great story and one that illustrates the scarcity of details from gold-seekers' activities that occurred not that long ago. I'd also love to see a complete roster of participants in the 1862-1863 Joseph Reddeford Walker Expedition, but that too is apparently not available. When you have names to work with, then you can try to find journals, memoirs and other references. The western trappers, pre-Mexican War Era, for example, were a great source of details and history. The miners, prospectors, treasure seekers - not so much. I guess they felt more of a need to be secretive about their activities. Still do today.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Yeah, I was unable to find a full roster of the Miner Expedition either from the sources I checked. The Miner Expedition is a great story and one that illustrates the scarcity of details from gold-seekers' activities that occurred not that long ago. I'd also love to see a complete roster of participants in the 1862-1863 Joseph Reddeford Walker Expedition, but that too is apparently not available. When you have names to work with, then you can try to find journals, memoirs and other references. The western trappers, pre-Mexican War Era, for example, were a great source of details and history. The miners, prospectors, treasure seekers - not so much. I guess they felt more of a need to be secretive about their activities. Still do today.
has anyone ever looked into sanders lost mine on coon creek..it was in the area the miners expedition was exploring....he was afraid they would find his mine...but they turned back before they got to coon creek

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave, lots of guys from the Miner Expedition actually prospected Coon Creek during the exp. I think the Lost Sanders Mine story started with William "HunkyDory" Holmes, who was on the Miner Exp. I have the story from an old treasure mag in one of my file boxes and will see if I can dig it out. Here's a good article:

View attachment 1744858

And kind of an abbreviated version:

View attachment 1744859

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunkydory Holmes was killed in 1889, so if the story of Sander's Lost Mine is true, Holmes obviously would have had to tell someone prior to that date. Holmes was killed by the Apache Kid when he made his escape on the way to Yuma prison. Here's a pretty detailed article on the event:

View attachment 1744871

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave, lots of guys from the Miner Expedition actually prospected Coon Creek during the exp. I think the Lost Sanders Mine story started with William "HunkyDory" Holmes, who was on the Miner Exp. I have the story from an old treasure mag in one of my file boxes and will see if I can dig it out. Here's a good article:

View attachment 1744858

And kind of an abbreviated version:

View attachment 1744859
jim....i read up on it years ago but never got around to looking for it...ron feldman said he found sanders burnt cabin back in the early 90's

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread