Why did Travis Tumlinson Fake the Stone Maps as a Hoax?

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Let’s break this down. The persona non grata works for a living in the entertainment business. It’s what pays his bills. It’s not a hobby, it’s a livelihood.

Most folks, if they are lucky, end up with a profession they enjoy. Hobbies alone can and do absorb loads of time and energy but they don’t pay very well. That’s why they are called hobbies. Jobs are what pays the bills. Sometimes you get to combine both and that works out nicely UNTIL they don’t work in harmony. When there is a conflict, the JOB has to take first priority. That doesn't mean for one second that anyone's integrity is compromised. It means the scope of the project has to change and be made into something reasonably saleable.

Lynda

Lynda,

Pardon the late response to this mass-deletion situation as I just got back from the West Indies. I have enjoyed and liked your posts, but I would caution against your attempt to continually pontificate and justify the actions of this entire Tumlinson narrative, or how it has been handled right from the start.

This persona non grata you refer to, (let’s call him PNG), is by no means experienced or qualified in any sense of these words as far as how you are attempting to frame this whole endeavor as a “noble attempt” to bring the Tumlinson story to the “big screen.” While “entertainment” is a broad, encompassing term, a background in model photography does not by any stretch of the imagination, qualify one with the right to ride roughshod over a community in an attempt to bring forth and taunt the community with “new information” which “cannot be revealed at this time.”

Not just all the information, links, and pictures, but a lot of good and informative posts that were written by other people, were also mass-deleted on the other site and I find this highly irresponsible and disrespectful to the DH community, as these forums serve as a community for sharing information. It also goes against the spirit and policy of the other site as well as this one. Not only was an entire forum just about deleted, but a well-known poster was by force, publicly shamed and humiliated. What purpose does this serve?

Now let’s consider this project and the target audience. The target audience is young adults to senior citizens. Outside of diehard Dutch Hunters, the average viewing audience does not have a frame of reference for this legend. And; believe it or not, they don’t have the patience or inclination to set through the time it would take to gain one.

So………there is only so much data and supporting evidence that can be “sold” (in great detail) as a made for TV production. An hour show provides about 27 minutes of story line. If you don’t capture the attention and get buy in from your target in about 7 minutes (or less) you are done. Click….gone to another easier, lighter material, entertainment piece. You must present your premise from the 5000 foot level, put it in context, and move on to the more drama/adventure type narrative. It’s an entertain product not a thesis for a doctorate.

Using our 27 minute per episode, it would take about three one hours shows, or three weeks, to provide all the background, factual data, introduce characters into the story line, and lay out the history leading up to ……….ta’ da……..”Travis Found the Stones”………. It’s a loser on holding the target’s attention and patience just to get to the basis of the show. No production company in their right mind is going to sign on for that kind of production.

Let me knock you down a few pegs here. What you’ve written above is a perversion of an understanding of how entertainment really works, and what it takes to engage an audience. It’s all about what leads up to that click, not what happens when one is clicking through the channels. You build up the buzz that leads to the click, and in order to do that, you build up an audience, you build expectations. And what better place to do that than here? The DH community is small, but it’s a good way to start the buzz and get the word out. It’s a good place to start the discussion, a good place to get feedback.

More importantly it’s a good place to receive constructive criticism, to make sure the story works and is accurate. So when someone like Joe questions things and starts poking holes in the story, you go back to the story and work on it instead of throwing a temper tantrum or taking things too personally. Any well-known TV critic will just do the same thing Joe did, but the consequences will be much more devastating.

As far as PNG has handled himself throughout this entire saga- he got himself banned here, and did the equivalent of kicking down a sand castle on the other site and stomping away. That’s not how you build a brand, that’s not how you build an audience.

Data, new info, evidence, do we have it? You betcha. By the cart loads. Interesting stuff. Is there supporting information or historic evidence for every new twist? Yes, there is. But it won’t be dissected at the level you would like on a made for TV reality/mini-series/documentary. That’s why you are seeing different formats discussed. The “show”, when aired, will have a different twist, new information and focus than those that have come before. But; the detail you seek will not be presented there. It can’t be. That level of detail and give and take will be discussed here, and I can’t wait to be a part of that discussion.

Pre-filming discussions on our part didn’t go over well. Unfortunate but; that’s understandable. We weren’t able to give you all the pieces of the story and that was not fair OR productive. But; that will change. If the production sells we can discuss it from now to forever. If it doesn’t sell there is still a ton of information collected to be dissected. That includes all the parts that would drive the average viewing public to tears with tedium and redundancy.

Once the “show” is in the can, we can spend all the time your heart desires discussing the minute details of every new piece of data or twist to the story and how they fit (or don’t fit). There will be a water shed of information and evidence, and something for everyone and every position on the story. But; you have to keep in mind our discussions here are not main stream. The fact that we actually enjoy spending weeks discussing the minutest of details puts us in a relative small group. Who knows, but I suspect it (the project) will add new enthusiasts here and perhaps in Apache Junction.

That's not a sell out, that's seeing reality and working with it. You either produce what the public wants, in the dosage they find acceptable, or you hide your message under a basket. Its a start on a new twist but by no means will the "production" be the full and complete story. Can't be. But; I'm sure the "hang em high" contingent will spin that reality in a negative way. So be it. There is plenty of space in this for the light attention group and those among us that want a little more meat with the potatoes.

Again a perversion here. It’s all about one simple premise: does the story have teeth? Does it have a concept? Does it engage your emotions and move you? What the public wants is a good story to bite their teeth on. They want to feel like they have their one or two hour’s worth. If I told you I had this idea of making a hour and half TV show simply about penguins walking on ice, you’d think I was nuts.

Yet someone did, and the show was called “March of the Penguins” and it grossed $77 million and won the Oscar for best documentary. This someone found a great way to create a gripping narrative.

Now, as far as selling the Travis Tumlinson story- it’s going to be a good challenge because as we all know, Travis never found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. However, I’m sure there are certain aspects to his story that an audience may find appealing, indeed sympathize with him, but we’ll never know what appeals to people unless you discuss the elements of the story with a test group, and this forum and the other site would have been the best way to obtain feedback, and still could be, that is, if the bridges haven’t burned down at this point.

Last edited:

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We?

Anyway, You're all right. The Maps are Fake and that's all we need to know. Not much else has any meaning on the carved stones. It doesn't matter what his reason was. Travis and his faked stones are officially a dead subject.

Moving on...

It's about time!!!..... Now lets talk about the real codes carved into the saguaros over a hundred years ago......

Weaversneedle

Jan 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lynda,

Pardon the late response to this mass-deletion situation as I just got back from the West Indies. I have enjoyed and liked your posts, but I would caution against your attempt to continually pontificate and justify the actions of this entire Tumlinson narrative, or how it has been handled right from the start.

This persona non grata you refer to, (let’s call him PNG), is by no means experienced or qualified in any sense of these words as far as how you are attempting to frame this whole endeavor as a “noble attempt” to bring the Tumlinson story to the “big screen.” While “entertainment” is a broad, encompassing term, a background in model photography does not by any stretch of the imagination, qualify one with the right to ride roughshod over a community in an attempt to bring forth and taunt the community with “new information” which “cannot be revealed at this time.”

Not just all the information, links, and pictures, but a lot of good and informative posts that were written by other people, were also mass-deleted on the other site and I find this highly irresponsible and disrespectful to the DH community, as these forums serve as a community for sharing information. It also goes against the spirit and policy of the other site as well as this one. Not only was an entire forum just about deleted, but a well-known poster was by force, publicly shamed and humiliated. What purpose does this serve?

Let me knock you down a few pegs here. What you’ve written above is a perversion of an understanding of how entertainment really works, and what it takes to engage an audience. It’s all about what leads up to that click, not what happens when one is clicking through the channels. You build up the buzz that leads to the click, and in order to do that, you build up an audience, you build expectations. And what better place to do that than here? The DH community is small, but it’s a good way to start the buzz and get the word out. It’s a good place to start the discussion, a good place to get feedback.

More importantly it’s a good place to receive constructive criticism, to make sure the story works and is accurate. So when someone like Joe questions things and starts poking holes in the story, you go back to the story and work on it instead of throwing a temper tantrum or taking things too personally. Any well-known TV critic will just do the same thing Joe did, but the consequences will be much more devastating.

As far as PGH has handled himself throughout this entire saga- he got himself banned here, and did the equivalent of kicking down a sand castle on the other site and stomping away. That’s not how you build a brand, that’s not how you build an audience.

Again a perversion here. It’s all about one simple premise: does the story have teeth? Does it have a concept? Does it engage your emotions and move you? What the public wants is a good story to bite their teeth on. They want to feel like they have their one or two hour’s worth. If I told you I had this idea of making a hour and half TV show simply about penguins walking on ice, you’d think I was nuts.

Yet someone did, and the show was called “March of the Penguins” and it grossed $77 million and won the Oscar for best documentary. This someone found a great way to create a gripping narrative.

Now, as far as selling the Travis Tumlinson story- it’s going to be a good challenge because as we all know, Travis never found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. However, I’m sure there are certain aspects to his story that an audience may find appealing, indeed sympathize with him, but we’ll never know what appeals to people unless you discuss the elements of the story with a test group, and this forum and the other site would have been the best way to obtain feedback, and still could be, that is, if the bridges haven’t burned down at this point.
Maybe you just can't handle the fact that someone beat you to it? Aren't you in the movie industry also?

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Deducer,

We are going to just have to agree to disagree on this one for the time being. I stand by what I have said.

I recognize I'm at a disadvantage and will temporarily cede the arena. I hope we can reconvene at a later time on a more level playing field.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe you just can't handle the fact that someone beat you to it? Aren't you in the movie industry also?

Not at all.

It merely pleases me to see something that is done well, and professionally, be it something as simple as a wood carving or a good movie (or documentary, in this case). Conversely, and by the same token, it irritates me to see something being done backasswards or sloppily.

Weaversneedle

Jan 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not at all.

It merely pleases me to see something that is done well, and professionally, be it something as simple as a wood carving or a good movie (or documentary, in this case). Conversely, and by the same token, it irritates me to see something being done backasswards or sloppily.

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't realize you had already seen the TV show. How was it that I missed it? When was it on?

Ponchosportal

Nov 19, 2004
Primary Interest:
Other
That's not hard to get around

Look at our comment history and tell me you still think were the same person; aren't you like an ex cop? check it out Boss you can do a better job here than to think I am Bill.

Still LMAO .... you funny Boy.

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of sloppy backassward renditions..........

Deducer wrote…>>Now, as far as selling the Travis Tumlinson story- it’s going to be a good challenge because as we all know, Travis never found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.<<<<

Just an illustration of the miles apart you and I are in what this story is, and what it’s actually about. Literally, factually and philosophically.

Deducer, you know this to be true how? No, we don’t all know this. Some of us, yes most of us, think this because we don’t know any better….Yet. And; then there are some of few of us who have seen the proverbial “ghost” and have a different view. Not a shallow view, but a much fuller view.

…”Therefore as a stranger give it welcome. There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy”……

Lynda

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Deducer, you know this to be true how? No, we don’t all know this. Some of us, yes most of us, think this because we don’t know any better….Yet. And; then there are some of few of us who have seen the proverbial “ghost” and have a different view. Not a shallow view, but a much fuller view.

There's your answer.

OP
OP
Azquester

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just think it's funny. You'll wanted me to move on so I did and now you're acting like you didn't want me to?
Then you think I'm pretending to be someone else? I read that and LMAO!!

There must be something about to be released for this to happen. I believe maybe someone wants to prove I and others on here are dead wrong.

Go right ahead and show us what 's so important. That is, since a lot of you keep saying there's more to this than meets the eye. Besides, wearing this Poncho is getting to hot!!

So let it rain...

LMAO

So let me get this straight. The Production company has taken control and wants to make another "Legends" fictional adventure show?

Ryan had to go back to work as the Production company re-writes the family and his research story into something that we all might watch? All this while Frank and Ryan are looking for the rainbow on weekends from the supposed real map the stones were carved from that possibly depicts "X" somewhere in the Superstitions? So that would be the adventure part of it...

That's probably correct I haven't seen a producer / director yet that can't keep from meddling with anyone's work. Just like a Ghost writer they have a need to inject their two cents into a real life story and screw it all up. That's where it usually becomes a dead end project. In other word's, the story was to long and boring with to many details only someone that knew the entire history of the maps would understand.

So now it's adventure time to follow that yellow brick gold and go search for OZ. Lets just all hope Travis didn't use the stone maps as his tracing tool for a Barn hide map and not the other way around.

Don't tell me, Travis was leather crafter to?

That fella was a Genius!!

Townley

Dec 14, 2015
Gold Canyon AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lynda,

As far as PGH has handled himself throughout this entire saga- he got himself banned here, and did the equivalent of kicking down a sand castle on the other site and stomping away. That’s not how you build a brand, that’s not how you build an audience.

I have never seen a forum with so much jealously about what someone else is doing. That's the perversion.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
then there are some of few of us who have seen the proverbial “ghost” and have a different view. Not a shallow view, but a much fuller view.

" ... Out of the blue and into the black..."

Roadhse2

Mar 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of the way things were done, mass delete, no word since as to why from the PNG, instead of a gracious exit that may have been determined by other circumstances and understandable. What was taken away, for me, is any trust in the messengers word concerning all of this.

All that is left is just another story...the same as so many over the years...

Now, even though shouting from the rooftops, "we have proof"...it will always be questionable because of the way things have been handled.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never seen a forum with so much jealously about what someone else is doing. That's the perversion.

That may be, but that's to be expected when you become the center of attention by hawking a product, or a TV show. You will always get people who like your product, people who hate your product, and people who hate you for no reason. That's pretty much true for every product that's out there; it just comes with the territory. Every celebrity has their haters.

Yet, at the same time one has to handle all this with grace, with the understanding that your goal is to cultivate an audience for your product, and so you must cater to your base audience and develop a cordial relationship with them, and hope that the buzz spreads from there.

Weaversneedle

Jan 22, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That may be, but that's to be expected when you become the center of attention by hawking a product, or a TV show. You will always get people who like your product, people who hate your product, and people who hate you for no reason. That's pretty much true for every product that's out there; it just comes with the territory. Every celebrity has their haters.

Yet, at the same time one has to handle all this with grace, with the understanding that your goal is to cultivate an audience for your product, and so you must cater to your base audience and develop a cordial relationship with them, and hope that the buzz spreads from there.

Deducer, my father went through the depression and what got him through it was the fact that his family had a farm and they were very hard working and self supporting people. He remembers seeing people standing in soup lines for a bowl of soup and most humans would wait patiently for a free bowl but you always had a few jerks that thought that bowl of soup was owed to them and they would squawk and howl about having to stand in line and wait. It seems to me that is what is happening here , most of us are happy to get whatever RG wishes to give us ( and it is his to give, he earned it) .But a fee impatient members had to insult the man so many times that he couldn't deal with the drama anymore. So I say to you is that if you wanted that info you should have gone out there and get it yourself. Actually the local rumors are that you are a low level movie producer and you have been on the forum the last couple years trying to gather enough information to make a movie or TV show ,but a newcomer with no experience beat you to the punch

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Deducer, my father went through the depression and what got him through it was the fact that his family had a farm and they were very hard working and self supporting people. He remembers seeing people standing in soup lines for a bowl of soup and most humans would wait patiently for a free bowl but you always had a few jerks that thought that bowl of soup was owed to them and they would squawk and howl about having to stand in line and wait. It seems to me that is what is happening here , most of us are happy to get whatever RG wishes to give us ( and it is his to give, he earned it) .But a fee impatient members had to insult the man so many times that he couldn't deal with the drama anymore. So I say to you is that if you wanted that info you should have gone out there and get it yourself. Actually the local rumors are that you are a low level movie producer and you have been on the forum the last couple years trying to gather enough information to make a movie or TV show ,but a newcomer with no experience beat you to the punch

You seem to be implying that I am one of those few "impatient members" who have insulted "the man."

In which case, please show me a post written by me- any post, on any of the forums, in which I insulted him.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions