The Tumlinson Diary

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Hello Everyone,

Since our friends in Texas have retreated to the bunker perhaps a discussion of the supposed Tumlison Diary would shed some light on the issues that have surfaced here, maybe not.

In Don Shade`s work published in 1994 he states the following on page 40: His comments are in reference to a discovery made by Ray Howland.

"In an old cabin, Ray found a saddle bag with a diary in it which had been kept by a man named Tumlinson from Texas. The diary told of a trip to Mexico to locate a mining family and gave a complete run down of the mines they had worked".

"The diary also told of an expedition composed of five hundred people, Tumlinson was one of them, who came from Mexico to Arizona in the 1890`s to look for treasure and an exceptionally rich mine. The Mexicans went home empty handed. Although this cannot be substantiated, Rose thought the Howlands prospected the Estrella Mountains for five years after finding the diary."

Interestingly enough Shade mentions the Stone Maps later in his work but makes no mention of Tumlinson in their discovery. Also it seems the diary is a complete document relating to mines the folks in Mexico had worked in The Superstitions(?).

So first can anyone add to this. Imagine the diary would be a wonderful read. Also does this suggest anything about the Stone Maps. Perhaps no one really knows the story regarding their discovery or creation. It seems at least possible if this expedition did happen where did the information come from in the diary to locate the mines?

Starman

Starman,

I find it interesting that you took up this "Tumlinson Diary" story. While the artifact may/probably does exist, for me, it falls into the same category as the Tucson artifacts. :dontknow: An interesting story, but it originates from a place of deceit. I'm ok with leaving it with Ryan to prove the case for Tumlinson. Until that happens, I will remain skeptical.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Pegleg was illiterate so how could he write a diary.

Frank,

Shows you how out of step I am with this story. I thought it was Travis' diary.:dontknow: Looking back, I see what you are talking about. Need someone to hold my hand on this evolving story.

Take care,

Joe

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We really need to get back on topic. But if you have seen Frank in curls and a skirt, it must be some strong stuff. How about sharing.

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[Sorry Frank, I really was only trying to give you a compliment.
But on the other hand, I suppose they wouldn't kid ya if they didn't like ya.]

Now back to the main topic, PLEASE, ....Where's that darn gold mine?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starman 1 wrote : "The diary also told of an expedition composed of five hundred people, Tumlinson was one of them, who came from Mexico to Arizona in the 1890`s to look for treasure and an exceptionally rich mine."

In 1890's , i believe was not Travis Tumlinson .

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Hello Somehiker,

Perhaps your response proves the craftsmanship involved in all of this. The details of the H/P Stone were intended to invoke exactly your response. That is the stone does not lead you to Horse Mesa. It actually leads you to just about anywhere else.

And let`s take this a bit further. For this to be effective a great deal of work would have to be done not only in creating the stone but also in creating the conditions in the range to prove the details to an astute observer such as yourself. Such an effort would require an excellent stone carver, and well a number of people.

The H/P stone simply put was intended to put you in a house of mirrors and spin you like a top. And that it has done. The creator of the stone also tells you in a rather humerous way who he is. Why of course our favorite wizard that some refer to as a priest. The Wizard of Oz.

As far as the details of the stone I will grant every observation you make regarding where it leads and what it is telling you. Not only that there are many, many details in the range that support most conclusions regarding the H/P stone. A lot of work went into that. But then again that is what a good wizard does. Also our wizard tells you that since the movie, "The Wizard of Oz", was made in 1939 this stones creation date was after 1939. Having said that the 1909 topographical Map was a stroke of genius.

On our Mexican friends I agree, 500 roaming the range would be quite the show. Can`t imagine that happening. But I guess stranger things have happened.

One final thing the signs are astronomical, although on one level the difference between the two is insignificant.

Regards,

Starman

Starman,

Actually the story is from a 1900 novel, "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by L. Frank Baum. That would pre-date the 1939 movie as well as the 1909 topographical map.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably more than a few Tumlinsons scattered around the SW, even then.
Odds are, a few of them were gold seekers....not just "Pegleg".

txtea

Nov 16, 2009
Probably more than a few Tumlinsons scattered around the SW, even then.
Odds are, a few of them were gold seekers....not just "Pegleg".
Very true.
Ironically, I grew up with a Tumlinson as one of my best friends here in San Antonio.
There is a Tumlinson cemetery between here and Stockdale that has been there since the Texas revolution. Little varmits are everywhere.
I imagine everyone was looking for riches in the ground back then. No welfare.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Starman,

Actually the story is from a 1900 novel, "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by L. Frank Baum. That would pre-date the 1939 movie as well as the 1909 topographical map.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

Baum wrote several Oz books in the early 20th century. Many observers classify him not as a simple fantasy writer, but more as a political satirist. Lots has been written about "following the yellow brick road."

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Baum wrote several Oz books in the early 20th century. Many observers classify him not as a simple fantasy writer, but more as a political satirist. Lots has been written about "following the yellow brick road."

That he worked as a political journalist and wrote many editorials on political topics, should escape nobody's interest. He was well aware of the political issues of his days and keenly aware of the representations he was making with the characters he created, e.g., The Scarecrow = the American farmer, Tin Man = industrial workers and the gold brick road = the gold standard which was considered an equalizing force, in that it gave everyone equal opportunity, and was not easily manipulated as paper money is.

You can create paper money out of nothing, and big banks do it all the time in creating toxic mortgages. A little harder to do that if we were on the gold standard, it puts physical limitations on the ability of big banks to abuse inflation.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
That he worked as a political journalist and wrote many editorials on political topics, should escape nobody's interest. He was well aware of the political issues of his days and keenly aware of the representations he was making with the characters he created, e.g., The Scarecrow = the American farmer, Tin Man = industrial workers and the gold brick road = the gold standard which was considered an equalizing force, in that it gave everyone equal opportunity, and was not easily manipulated as paper money is.

You can create paper money out of nothing, and big banks do it all the time in creating toxic mortgages. A little harder to do that if we were on the gold standard, it puts physical limitations on the ability of big banks to abuse inflation.

deducer,

Speaking of gold, Baum's books can command some pretty stiff prices. A first edition of "Wizard of Oz" runs as high as $100,000.00. Many of his other books can cost thousands. That's a pretty good legacy.

Take care,

Joe

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deducer and all

I will bring you back to the post #49 , page #4 . The image that you see in that post is exactly the Perficio map . The cave with its contour in the centre of the picture is the cave shape from the map from where start all the sunrays . Look at the position of the arch ( FORNIX ) in relation with the cave's contour from the picture . All the other clues from the map are exactly in the places which are recognized in the Perficio map .

The Cursum Perficio map in the fields .

perficio map.jpg perficio map 2.jpg

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an aerial picture which shows the other ( right side ) clues from the Perficio map which are not visible in the previous ( above ) pictures .
In the blue circle is the " roofless two room house in a cave's mouth " Waltz clue which apparently is a church ruin . This could be recognized from the smallest and thinnest room which serves as altar . Also this clue is the " transeo ecclesia " clue from the Latin stone heart . Could this church to had been named Santa Fe ?
The " Desiliens aqua aurum " clue from the Latin stone heart is the LDM gold outcropping deposit . Like waltz said " my mine is about 200 feet opposite from this roofless two room house " .

CP 3.jpg

Last edited:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrote in the post #46 : " But , to have a complete Perficio map , we have to make what the Latin text says : to put the sun and the full moon together " .
So the Latin text ( from the left side written bottom-top ) from the Cursum Perficio map could be interpreted ( and like the map shows ) like : " The Church's treasure shines upon the sun ( the map vision ) and the moon ( the natural vision ) .
So , the cave shape , metaphorical is the rising sun and the setting moon .
And why the treasure shines ? Because in reality , the the rising sun with the setting moon , both are giving light to the treasure ( metaphorical ) which is between and below .

CursumPerficio%20translation.png setting moon.JPG

Thank you for you patience .

Not Peralta

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wrote in the post #46 : " But , to have a complete Perficio map , we have to make what the Latin text says : to put the sun and the full moon together " .
So the Latin text ( from the left side written bottom-top ) from the Cursum Perficio map could be interpreted ( and like the map shows ) like : " The Church's treasure shines upon the sun ( the map vision ) and the moon ( the natural vision ) .
So , the cave shape , metaphorical is the rising sun and the setting moon .
And why the treasure shines ? Because in reality , the the rising sun with the setting moon , both are giving light to the treasure ( metaphorical ) which is between and below .

View attachment 1332356 View attachment 1332358

Thank you for you patience .
Amigo,Marius, did you compare this with the Lead Artifacts:hello:,NP:cat:

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NP

IMO , this place is the same with the temple from the Tucson artifacts , an Aztec worship place which would contain the Montezuma's treasure , a Jesuit and after a Spanish/Mexican mining facility .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread