2016 Dutch Hunters Rendezvous

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Looking forward to seeing you there Joe. Wish you were feeling better I'd take you over to see what's left of the shack Travis lived in while searching his map area.

Frank,

You know I always look forward to seeing you. I am doing better, but will never be doing any hiking again. Lucky to make it to my car without Carolyn holding my hand and a cane in the other. Hope to see your smiling face in Lake Havasu someday.

See you there,

Joe

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ouch......................gold fever strikes again!

I liked watching the drone!!

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe,

Consider the source. I wouldn't get too raked up in a pile about the opinion of someone who has to ask for coordinates to the Pit mine and the Bat Cave. What's the old saying?.......couldn't find his backside with both hands. LOL. Makes one wonder if he needs GPS to find his way home. Lost treasure hunter??? Really???

Actually, I didn't want to hash over old posts to look it up. Unlike a lot of you I don't keep files on my computer for the LDM as I think it's a fantasy of Jacob's.
I'm probably one of a handful of people on here that can find a longitude, Latitude, on a map without a GPS. When I started looking I was so poor I couldn't afford a GPS.

Most people get lost using one, I've seen it. I don't think anyone will need to get one for finding the Rendezvous there's been enough maps posted on here.

Let me ask you this:

Show us one Spanish Explorer that used a GPS to secret their Treasure, just one?

Silence?

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,

As I have mentioned, many times before, I was never searching for the LDM on my own. On the other hand, I have researched the legend and assisted others in their searches. Over the years, while you have quipped and insulted your way through these conversations, I have tried to add posts of substance to the debate. My own contributions to the "facts" surrounding the legend are all still available on the various sites, as are yours. I am more than satisfied with what I have added to the overall conversation.

The Dutch Hunter's Rendezvous was started in order to create a place for those interested in the legend to meet and exchange whatever information they felt they could pass along. It created an event where the old timers, who have been at this longer than you and I have been alive, could rekindle old friendships and make new ones. You started out trying to belittle the event and insulting all who had a positive attitude about it. Despite your negative comments, the Rendezvous has flourished and grown into a successful event.

You stated you would come to the first Rendezvous and do me some damage. Although you did show up, you would not come into our camp but parked your truck outside the camp and glared at us with your arms crossed. Had you stepped into camp, you would have been welcomed, just as everyone else has over the year's. Carolyn and I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours of labor preparing food and serving the 100+ attendees that have shown up, most years, over the first ten years of the Rendezvous.

I, along with other team members, have found the true facts and exposed many of the fictional accounts that have been accepted "truth" concerning the LDM legend over he years. That alone has saved new Dutch Hunters countless hours of research chasing the many fictitious stories about the LDM. We passed this information along, without cost, to all who requested it.

While I understand why these things have found no respect in your mind, I will have no problem with the small legacy I will leave behind. What, exactly, will you leave?

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

I'm working on that right now Joe. It'll be more than a few notes on the location of the old LDM that's a given. Much larger than that.

Each of us has our own work in that someone might follow after we die. If you think the work you've done warrants others to follow that's great!

But, it's only your own opinion of yourself that drives it.

I wouldn't have made all that food for so many people. Unless they told me secrets of the LDM!

Regardless of what you think I do hold respect for what you started and what you do there. I just have no desire to go there with so much hostility lodged within the various groups.

More power to ya and good luck.

EarnieP

Jul 20, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe,

Consider the source. I wouldn't get too raked up in a pile about the opinion of someone who has to ask for coordinates to the Pit mine and the Bat Cave. What's the old saying?.......couldn't find his backside with both hands. LOL. Makes one wonder if he needs GPS to find his way home. Lost treasure hunter??? Really???

Hello Old,

Don't be too harsh on our brother Bill. I think getting coordinates is a logical question for those who have not been to a certain location before. Everyone has a 'first time there', even you 'old timers'. Precise coordinates save on unnecessary stumbling around, and help on those GE searchers.

The Reunion is a great idea of course. I know it's been, and will continue to be a big success. Thanks to all who put in the efforts that make it that way. However, some people just don't care for, or function well, in groups and crowds. I'm one of those, maybe brother Bill is another. Or maybe we're just shy. 8-)

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wait until you use a GPS under trees in a canyon and can't get a signal. Been there. ;)
Compass and a 7.5 min geo map always works, even at night with a flashlight.

BlackLine

Feb 7, 2016
NRW, Germany
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Other
i'd love to be there. i would not understand any story, but to see the old timers is an honor. i dont know you joe but what i read about your invests for this event i pay much respect. wish you a wonderful event and maybe i will join it :blackbeard:

AbTexEx

Nov 27, 2008
America's Dairyland
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Not going to the Oklahoma reunion this year.
Reckon I'd better get them coordinates from y'all and see if I can find this place.

tablet.JPG

AJones

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, I didn't want to hash over old posts to look it up. Unlike a lot of you I don't keep files on my computer for the LDM as I think it's a fantasy of Jacob's.
I'm probably one of a handful of people on here that can find a longitude, Latitude, on a map without a GPS. When I started looking I was so poor I couldn't afford a GPS.

Most people get lost using one, I've seen it. I don't think anyone will need to get one for finding the Rendezvous there's been enough maps posted on here.

Let me ask you this:

Show us one Spanish Explorer that used a GPS to secret their Treasure, just one?

Silence?

Actually they used the stars.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Actually they used the stars.

And the Sun of course. Once you are use to the suns elevation placement you can even tell how much daylight is left. In Az horizon to 8 inches is 1/2 hour, after that each 8 inches is close to and hour. Ie. 16 inches (2 thumb to middle finger spans is 1.5 hours of daylight left on the desert floor.) I did that growing up in Florence, knew when it was time to start home.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU, we used the extended finger method, every width of a finger represented about a 1/2 hr of daylight left, we generally set up camp with 3 finger width, depending upon the time of the year., and of course, the latitude. Yer pretty damn smart guy.:notworthy:

The Dirt Pirate

Dec 21, 2015
Los Angeles CA/ Las Vegas NV
Detector(s) used
White's GMT, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab SDC 2300, White's DFX, White's MXT, White's XLT, Garrett 2500 GTI, Fisher F75, Minelab GPX 4500, Minelab GPX 5000, Minelab GPZ 7000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is the Dutchman still lost or did y'all finally find it? I'm just kidding.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When your a teenager and dinner is at sundown, roughly, you always make sure you get home for dinner. ;)
Later got a watch that didn't stop that often, but the Sun told me how much time to get back before dark. Hated stepping on snakes, into cactus or into rabbit holes in the dark. But the food was more important at 14 to 19.

weregolf

Jun 14, 2016
Mexico
Detector(s) used
Gemini III, Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, Fisher F2, Deepers 6, OKM rover C
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That mountain/s is goverment land or private?

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AU, we used the extended finger method, every width of a finger represented about a 1/2 hr of daylight left, we generally set up camp with 3 finger width, depending upon the time of the year., and of course, the latitude. Yer pretty damn smart guy.:notworthy:

I use that method for finding the time just before I leave the Rendezvous.

Just the middle finger though....:laughing7:

(Joking)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread