joe no shoulders

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
the road in the pic is over 12 ft wide...which means the snake is over 6 ft long...that was one big thick green mohave IMG_0231.JPG IMG_0232.JPG

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
saw his little brother on another road.....he was only about 4 ft long IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0246.JPG

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When did you see them, Dave? and where?
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Aaah...that's good. I'm heading south, on a prospecting trip, pretty soon. Taking the dog along. I'm hoping it's cold enough in southern Nevada I don't have to worry about rattlers. I can avoid them, but Heidi isn't smart enough to do that...LOL
Appreciate the info,
Jim

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Aaah...that's good. I'm heading south, on a prospecting trip, pretty soon. Taking the dog along. I'm hoping it's cold enough in southern Nevada I don't have to worry about rattlers. I can avoid them, but Heidi isn't smart enough to do that...LOL
Appreciate the info,
Jim

jim....i've been going out in the hills for many years and i really haven't seen that many rattlers..and most of them have been crossing a road...lol...around here it's the green mohaves you have to watch out for...they are alot more aggressive.....if it warms up enough you could run into a snake in nevada but i doubt it..

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate snakes! All snakes.

I don't trust them anytime, ever. I've seen snakes in the snow. No lie. Saw one chased out of its den by a diversion in the creek flow. Its rare, but it happens.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Those Mojaves are bad news.

If you're out in the hills digging, you're likely to leave your tools there so you don't have to tote them back and forth so many times. Here's what I found one morning as I was retrieving my hidden shovel.

Shovel.JPG

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
jim....i've been going out in the hills for many years and i really haven't seen that many rattlers..and most of them have been crossing a road...lol...around here it's the green mohaves you have to watch out for...they are alot more aggressive.....if it warms up enough you could run into a snake in nevada but i doubt it..
From what the bird hunters tell me, as long as the temp is below 60* I probably won't see any. Rattlers don't scare me much...just have to pay attention. but Heidi gets to running around and could run right by one.....that worries me enough I rarely take her into snake country when they're active. She has had the anti-rattler shot, but that just moderates the effect of the venom...it isn't a complete cure. I have no idea how the shot works on the neural toxic portion of the venom in a Mojave. Where I prospect in Wyoming they have the Pigmy Faded Rattlesnakes. These are small, but thick, and have a very nasty neural toxic component to their venom. The PFR's have a very small geographic range in southwestern Wyoming near Green River, going down into Utah, including the upper end of Flaming Gorge Reservoir. They're called "faded" because they lose their markings as they become adults.....the markings get so faded they look like they're a single color...sort of tannish/gray.
Jim

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a "Green Meanie" grabbing some sun on the old stage coach road from Stanton, to Yarnell, AZ, in late March. When I got out of the Razor to take his photo he got a wee bit upset and I backed up quick!:skullflag:

Attachments

• GreenMojave.jpg
    GreenMojave.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 158

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a little video of one of our "western" rattlesnakes. This was in August with a cold front coming in. That snake really wanted to get into the rocks before the cold got here. I dissuaded him a bit, but he knew the direction he wanted to go.
Jim

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Err, SDC, my ole eyes fail to distinguish anything unusual in the photograph, can you point it out for me > grasias

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a bit like a black tail rattlesnake.

audigger53

Mar 27, 2004
Severn, Maryland
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
the road in the pic is over 12 ft wide...which means the snake is over 6 ft long...that was one big thick green mohave View attachment 1399110 View attachment 1399113

I don't know Dave. He looks kinda skinny for 6 feet long. The only one I have seen in person alive that was that big was almost 4 inches diameter. Not sure if he was 6 or 8 feet long as I was jumping airborne off the rock landslide area when my back brain kicked in after seeing the shape of the head. Crescent Banded Rattle snake, no Diamond pattern on it, just dark green crescent bands on it. It was passing by me behind the first set of rocks just above me and I didn't see the head shape and thought "Wow, that's a big snake!". Next thing I knew I was airborne, still don't remember jumping, was just in the air. Tried to draw and shoot 3 times while airborne, but I had put away my gun for going over the rocks. Never did either again. ;)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Green's are "thinner" than Western Diamondbacks. They don't hunt Jack Rabbits like the Blacktails.
Mohave Rattlesnake (Crotalus scutulatus) - Reptiles of Arizona

Here are two male Diamondbacks fighting over a female one of my prospecting instructors photgraphed out by Rich Hill, in Arizona's Weaver Mountains. They are a lot thicker. The Big snake was about five-feet long.

OP
OP
A

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I don't know Dave. He looks kinda skinny for 6 feet long. The only one I have seen in person alive that was that big was almost 4 inches diameter. Not sure if he was 6 or 8 feet long as I was jumping airborne off the rock landslide area when my back brain kicked in after seeing the shape of the head. Crescent Banded Rattle snake, no Diamond pattern on it, just dark green crescent bands on it. It was passing by me behind the first set of rocks just above me and I didn't see the head shape and thought "Wow, that's a big snake!". Next thing I knew I was airborne, still don't remember jumping, was just in the air. Tried to draw and shoot 3 times while airborne, but I had put away my gun for going over the rocks. Never did either again. ;)
...he was easily 3.5 inch in diameter

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread