The mysterious death of Adolph Ruth

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Dave,

Don't feel there is that much mystery in the Adolph Ruth story. He was murdered by someone(s), and the lies started immediately. They continue to this day. Just one man's opinion.

Good luck,

Joe

joe...no question he was murdered...and no question the lies and conspiracy started soon after...the unanswered question is who smoked him?

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
joe...no question he was murdered...and no question the lies and conspiracy started soon after...the unanswered question is who smoked him?

Keenan and Purnell are still at the top of the list.

I am pretty sure that most of the people involved, including Barkley and Adams knew who did it. Not only is there no question that Ruth was murdered, but there is no question that there was also a coverup, or at the very least, an intentionally shoddy investigation that did not want to find results.

I wonder if they resented this outsider coming in with privileged information/directions?

Ruth was rumored to have talked, or boasted about the LDM, to pretty much everyone he met down there. While I don't think this is necessarily true, I believe that it did get out that he had privileged information/directions. I can't remember, but I read somewhere that what likely happened was that Ruth confided to one person, and that one person leaked everything to the rest of the community. Could it have been Morse that he confided in? Morse was the one person that Ruth depended for everything from directions to being packed out to the mountains.

And of course, Keenan and Purnell worked for Morse.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Dave,

Don't feel there is that much mystery in the Adolph Ruth story. He was murdered by someone(s), and the lies started immediately. They continue to this day. Just one man's opinion.

Good luck,

Joe

Curious- what sort of lies are you talking about?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keenan and Purnell are still at the top of the list.

I am pretty sure that most of the people involved, including Barkley and Adams knew who did it. Not only is there no question that Ruth was murdered, but there is no question that there was also a coverup, or at the very least, an intentionally shoddy investigation that did not want to find results.

I wonder if they resented this outsider coming in with privileged information/directions?

Ruth was rumored to have talked, or boasted about the LDM, to pretty much everyone he met down there. While I don't think this is necessarily true, I believe that it did get out that he had privileged information/directions. I can't remember, but I read somewhere that what likely happened was that Ruth confided to one person, and that one person leaked everything to the rest of the community. Could it have been Morse that he confided in? Morse was the one person that Ruth depended for everything from directions to being packed out to the mountains.

And of course, Keenan and Purnell worked for Morse.

deducer

The fact that Ruth wanted Barkley out of his research , shows how there was some kind of competition between Morse and Barkley .
I believe Keenan and Purnel played a double agent role in this story , working for Morse and giving info to Barkley . When Ruth understood the conspiracy and becoming angry ( maybe seeing Barkley talking to the guides or something else ) just was " smoked " .
But who knows the truth ? Maybe Ruth was " smoked " by the same guys that after years shot at Storm and Walter Perrine .

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
The Ruth's were interested in another mineral, other than gold. I found such an outcropping at the end of the Stone Map trail, as I have mapped it out.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A. Ruth found on Peters Mesa (Gassler).JPG

Of all the things I have read or seen concerning the death of Adolph Ruth, this photograph is by far the most confusing and most disturbing.

The photo is a Maricopa County Sheriff's photo that was in the file with the notation: " Sheet tied on bush in Superstitions to aid aerial search for A. Ruth. Site of his "LAST" camp". J 1931

Why does the notation clearly state , his LAST camp ? That infers Ruth had more than one camp.

I originally thought, well, maybe the note meant it was Ruth's last camp before he died. That might explain the notation. But why make that notation at all if it only referenced his death?

Then I looked at the photo closely and realized I knew exactly where that photo was taken. It isn't a photo of Ruth's camp at Willow spring. In fact it isn't anywhere near Willow spring. It's miles from Willow spring.
The photo was taken on the west slope of Peters Mesa not 300 feet from the place Walter Gassler showed me that Tex Barkley had told him he found Ruth's body.

After I first saw that photo I went back to the Mesa and found that exact ridge and stood on the exact spot where the photographer took that photo.

The man standing in the photo was Maricopa County deputy Sheriff Lon Jordan. That is all I could gather about the photo.

Nothing about the photo makes sense or adds up about what we thought we knew about Ruth's disappearance and death. The photo and it's caption is completely out of line with the news reports of the day, the time line of the disappearance and the time line of the photo itself are a contradiction. The only explanation is the Sheriff knew from day one that Ruth had not died either at his camp at Willow spring or where his skull and bones were found at the NE end of Black Top Mesa.

The implications to this are astounding. If there was a cover up, (my opinion) it started on day one and involved virtually everybody.

Matthew

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
View attachment 1457747

Of all the things I have read or seen concerning the death of Adolph Ruth, this photograph is by far the most confusing and most disturbing.

The photo is a Maricopa County Sheriff's photo that was in the file with the notation: " Sheet tied on bush in Superstitions to aid aerial search for A. Ruth. Site of his "LAST" camp". J 1931

Why does the notation clearly state , his LAST camp ? That infers Ruth had more than one camp.

I originally thought, well, maybe the note meant it was Ruth's last camp before he died. That might explain the notation. But why make that notation at all if it only referenced his death?

Then I looked at the photo closely and realized I knew exactly where that photo was taken. It isn't a photo of Ruth's camp at Willow spring. In fact it isn't anywhere near Willow spring. It's miles from Willow spring.
The photo was taken on the west slope of Peters Mesa not 300 feet from the place Walter Gassler showed me that Tex Barkley had told him he found Ruth's body.

After I first saw that photo I went back to the Mesa and found that exact ridge and stood on the exact spot where the photographer took that photo.

The man standing in the photo was Maricopa County deputy Sheriff Lon Jordan. That is all I could gather about the photo.

Nothing about the photo makes sense or adds up about what we thought we knew about Ruth's disappearance and death. The photo and it's caption is completely out of line with the news reports of the day, the time line of the disappearance and the time line of the photo itself are a contradiction. The only explanation is the Sheriff knew from day one that Ruth had not died either at his camp at Willow spring or where his skull and bones were found at the NE end of Black Top Mesa.

The implications to this are astounding. If there was a cover up, (my opinion) it started on day one and involved virtually everybody.

Matthew

matthew...i think most of us on here agree that there was definitely a cover up and it was right off the get-go....after all most of the group that was searching for ruth were all dutch hunters and if they did find any info on ruth's body pertaining to the ldm or any treasure they were going to keep it to their selves and not divulge it to the general public...most of us would have done the same ...in my opinion they weren't really concerned about ruth's safety as much as they were worried about finding ruth's body before anyone else did...they wanted the secrets ruth possessed...they say tex was upset when he got back and found someone had taken ruth into the mountains...maybe he was pissed because someone else had already liberated the maps from ruth ...35 years ago an old time dutch hunter told me he thought tex was behind ruth's demise ...tex was dead before i was hatched so i never met him but my friend knew him and didn't have much good to say about him...

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
matthew...i think most of us on here agree that there was definitely a cover up and it was right off the get-go....after all most of the group that was searching for ruth were all dutch hunters and if they did find any info on ruth's body pertaining to the ldm or any treasure they were going to keep it to their selves and not divulge it to the general public...most of us would have done the same ...in my opinion they weren't really concerned about ruth's safety as much as they were worried about finding ruth's body before anyone else did...they wanted the secrets ruth possessed...they say tex was upset when he got back and found someone had taken ruth into the mountains...maybe he was pissed because someone else had already liberated the maps from ruth ...35 years ago an old time dutch hunter told me he thought tex was behind ruth's demise ...tex was dead before i was hatched so i never met him but my friend knew him and didn't have much good to say about him...

I'm not sure Barkley was behind Ruth's murder, because if he was, he sure as heck wouldn't have allowed it to take place on his turf (Peter's Mesa). He wouldn't be that dumb.

One scenario that I'm entertaining is that nobody really expected Ruth to get murdered- perhaps not even Keenan/Purnell themselves. There might have been some sort of nudge-nudge, wink-wink amongst those in the know to find out what Ruth was up to, and where his "secret location" was. But when push came to shove, and Ruth refused to be forthcoming, things got out of control pretty fast. I imagine that when Barkley came back to find out that Ruth got whacked on his turf, he took matters into his hands.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I'm not sure Barkley was behind Ruth's murder, because if he was, he sure as heck wouldn't have allowed it to take place on his turf (Peter's Mesa). He wouldn't be that dumb.

One scenario that I'm entertaining is that nobody really expected Ruth to get murdered- perhaps not even Keenan/Purnell themselves. There might have been some sort of nudge-nudge, wink-wink amongst those in the know to find out what Ruth was up to, and where his "secret location" was. But when push came to shove, and Ruth refused to be forthcoming, things got out of control pretty fast. I imagine that when Barkley came back to find out that Ruth got whacked on his turf, he took matters into his hands.

maybe thats why he moved the body...i've always found it hard to believe he risked moving ruth's body to another locale just because he didn't want people up there spooking his cattle...another thing ...adolph ruth was a frail old man..it would have been fairly easy to rob him in his sleep or slap him around and take the maps........it would take a pretty hard man to shoot an old timer like ruth in the head...someone wanted what ruth had pretty bad...whether it was maps or info...

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I doubt we will ever know what really took place with Ruth. I have to agree that it's likely that the lying started almost immediately with his death.

One of the last people living, who knew Tex well, is Tom Kollenborn. While Tom used to participate in these forums, he no longer wants to be involved, in any way, with the craziness and made up "facts". That is our loss, as he lived the history that we want to discuss. I have been fortunate enough to discuss this subject with him many times. His discussions with Tex was a frequent topic. I know he trusted Tex and believed what he was told by him. I am less sure that Tex told him the real truth about Adolph Ruth.

While much of what is being posted here is opinion, be wary of any facts that are being presented. Keep in mind, the well known reputations of some of the posters, me for instance, and let that knowledge be your spirit guide in doing your research. People like Tom Kollenborn and Bob Corbin don't post because "friends" lied to them.......for years. Maybe they're right not to rub shoulders with such "friends" of deception. I should probably learn a lesson from them.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I doubt we will ever know what really took place with Ruth. I have to agree that it's likely that the lying started almost immediately with his death.

One of the last people living, who knew Tex well, is Tom Kollenborn. While Tom used to participate in these forums, he no longer wants to be involved, in any way, with the craziness and made up "facts". That is our loss, as he lived the history that we want to discuss. I have been fortunate enough to discuss this subject with him many times. His discussions with Tex was a frequent topic. I know he trusted Tex and believed what he was told by him. I am less sure that Tex told him the real truth about Adolph Ruth.

While much of what is being posted here is opinion, be wary of any facts that are being presented. Keep in mind, the well known reputations of some of the posters, me for instance, and let that knowledge be your spirit guide in doing your research. People like Tom Kollenborn and Bob Corbin don't post because "friends" lied to them.......for years. Maybe they're right not to rub shoulders with such "friends" of deception. I should probably learn a lesson from them.

Good luck,

Joe Ribaudo
joe....i'm with you on the fact that if tex was involved he definitely wouldn't tell anyone..there is no statue of limitations on murder

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gertrude Barkley was a dutch-hunter as well wasn't she? And Ruth supposedly at one point told her he would show her "proof" that he knew where the LDM was but at the last minute decided against it? Interesting maybe?

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Gertrude Barkley was a dutch-hunter as well wasn't she? And Ruth supposedly at one point told her he would show her "proof" that he knew where the LDM was but at the last minute decided against it? Interesting maybe?

the first hard lesson a treasure hunter learns is to keep his mouth shut...ruth paid for that lesson with his life...over the years i have heard a handful of people get accused of killing ruth...the 2 cowboys...abe reid..tex barkley...we may never know the truth but i bet there is someone still alive that knows

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
the first hard lesson a treasure hunter learns is to keep his mouth shut...ruth paid for that lesson with his life...over the years i have heard a handful of people get accused of killing ruth...the 2 cowboys...abe reid..tex barkley...we may never know the truth but i bet there is someone still alive that knows

Dave,

You left out Bill Barkley and Brownie Holmes.....

Take care,

Joe

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
maybe thats why he moved the body...i've always found it hard to believe he risked moving ruth's body to another locale just because he didn't want people up there spooking his cattle...another thing ...adolph ruth was a frail old man..it would have been fairly easy to rob him in his sleep or slap him around and take the maps........it would take a pretty hard man to shoot an old timer like ruth in the head...someone wanted what ruth had pretty bad...whether it was maps or info...

What if that was what Keenan/Purnell thought, that it would be that easy? What if they were thinking like you are, "let's just pack this old man out and when he's by himself we'll just rough him up or just take the maps from him."

So they accost him, take his maps, but then they don't know to exactly what these maps lead to. They don't know the mountains as well as Barkley, for example. So they find themselves having to interrogate Ruth, slap him, rough him up, and from there it's a pretty slippery slope and they've already gone past the point of no return, because if they allowed Ruth to return, Ruth would just go straight to the sheriff's office and file charges.

Tex Barkley is at the bottom of my list of suspects, as far as who murdered Ruth. He had too much at stake- his ranch and life was right there in the Superstitions. It's not like he could just run away and hide if the sheriffs came after him.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1457747

Matthew

Maybe Ruth was moving between his two camps , and in his last days , Morse and the guides knew he was in the Peters Mesa camp .
This make sense why Morse called the Maricopa County Sheriff for Ruth disappearance .
And yes , I believe there were lies from the first day they found the Ruth skull , but not to cover the murderer , but to catch/find him .
Seeing the Ruth skull , they understood was shot and decided to lie about the location was found , first to keep people out of the " hot " area and second to see if anybody else , out of the crew , would make a different statement about where the body could be .
When the body was found , they followed the same tactic , but without the expected results .

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
What if that was what Keenan/Purnell thought, that it would be that easy? What if they were thinking like you are, "let's just pack this old man out and when he's by himself we'll just rough him up or just take the maps from him."

So they accost him, take his maps, but then they don't know to exactly what these maps lead to. They don't know the mountains as well as Barkley, for example. So they find themselves having to interrogate Ruth, slap him, rough him up, and from there it's a pretty slippery slope and they've already gone past the point of no return, because if they allowed Ruth to return, Ruth would just go straight to the sheriff's office and file charges.

Tex Barkley is at the bottom of my list of suspects, as far as who murdered Ruth. He had too much at stake- his ranch and life was right there in the Superstitions. It's not like he could just run away and hide if the sheriffs came after him.

tex could have got away with killing ruth easy enough...back then they didn't waste much time investigating a dead body in the mountains..truth told they still don't..i don't think anyone has ever been charged with a murder in the superstition...except for that idiot Hawaiian that killed his partner over fools gold...and i guarantee tex didn't think ruth's killing would bring down as much heat and controversy as it did...that being said i'm not sure tex killed ruth...i'm just throwing it out there....like joe said,,,,there is also brownie and bill..brownie was in ww1...i'm sure he killed people in the war so it probably wouldn't have been too hard to kill one more

OP
OP
Matthew Roberts

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tex could have got away with killing ruth easy enough...back then they didn't waste much time investigating a dead body in the mountains..truth told they still don't..i don't think anyone has ever been charged with a murder in the superstition...except for that idiot Hawaiian that killed his partner over fools gold...and i guarantee tex didn't think ruth's killing would bring down as much heat and controversy as it did...that being said i'm not sure tex killed ruth...i'm just throwing it out there....like joe said,,,,there is also brownie and bill..brownie was in ww1...i'm sure he killed people in the war so it probably wouldn't have been too hard to kill one more

azdave35,

You bring up an excellent point. Prior to Adolph Ruth disappearance almost no one paid any attention to Ruth in Arizona other than the very tiny circle of people who were directly involved with him.
He was not a celebrity and there was no news or fanfare concerning his being in Arizona. It was AFTER he disappeared and later when his skull/bones were discovered that things exploded and the whole nation focused it's attention on his death.
No one, much less Tex, Morse, Purnell, Keenan, Brownie or the others could have guessed the disappearance or death of this old man would have generated the excitement and publicity it did.
Whoever was involved in Ruth's demise most likely thought there would be a short search, maybe a little newspaper blurb or two and the whole thing would be forgotten.
No one foresaw what was to come and things got out of hand for them like a rocket to the moon. (in my opinion).

Matthew

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread