Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 151
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: Did dick Holmes father ever help search for the ldm?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    Aug 2016
    3
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Did dick Holmes father ever help search for the ldm?

    Can anyone answer this question?
    Thank you!
    Oroblanco likes this.

  2. #2
    us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

    Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / White's Goldmaster 4B / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6,354
    6093 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by rk85044 View Post
    Can anyone answer this question?
    Thank you!
    Do you mean Dick or Brownie?

    Mike
    Oroblanco likes this.
    My Motto: "KEEP AT IT!"

    ............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

  3. #3

    Aug 2016
    3
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Dick...it seems a bit odd that a young man would not
    share his tale and quest with his immediate family...
    Since he had no siblings...

    Unless there was an infirmary or death...

    Thank you

  4. #4
    us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

    Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / White's Goldmaster 4B / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6,354
    6093 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Dick Holmes SR. came to Arizona while it still belonged to Mexico, and was born in 1833. Dick Holmes JR was born in 1865. Dick Holmes SR was 75 in the AZ Voter Registration in 1908. That makes him 58 in 1891 when Waltz died. He also listed his profession as MINING. He probably did hunt the LDM with Dick Jr. We know for sure Dick Jr hunted it with Brownie until he hurt his foot.

    Mike
    Last edited by gollum; Sep 28, 2018 at 02:04 PM.
    PotBelly Jim and Oroblanco like this.
    My Motto: "KEEP AT IT!"

    ............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

  5. #5
    um
    Nemo me impune lacesset

    Jan 2005
    DAKOTA TERRITORY
    Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
    7,301
    7825 times
    Quote Originally Posted by gollum View Post
    Dick Holmes SR. came to Arizona while it still belonged to Mexico, and was born in 1833. Dick Holmes JR was born in 1865. Dick Holmes SR was 75 in the AZ Voter Registration in 1908. That makes him 58 in 1891 when Waltz died. He also listed his profession as MINING. He probably did hunt the LDM with Dick Jr. We know for sure Dick Jr hunted it with Brownie until he hurt his foot.

    Mike
    Excellent reasoning and logic, was about to post very much the same thing when I saw your post. We actually don't know though do we? It seems very illogical that Sr would NOT have gone with Dick Jr to hunt for the mine, but I have never heard anything to settle that question absolutely either.
    Roy

    PotBelly Jim likes this.
    SUPPORT THE BEEF INDUSTRY - EAT BEEF
    "We must find a way, or we will make one."--Hannibal Barca

  6. #6
    us
    Fortune Favors the BOLD, while Karma Favors the Wise!

    Jan 2006
    Arizona Vagrant
    Modded SD2000 / White's Goldmaster 4B / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID
    6,354
    6093 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Well, if Wayne can get Clay to the rendezvous this year, we can find out for sure.

    Since Pops Holmes was a miner, I think it is likely he did.
    PotBelly Jim likes this.
    My Motto: "KEEP AT IT!"

    ............... ALWAYS REMEMBER: When you make a typo, the errorists win...................Aloha Snackbar!

  7. #7
    us
    Sep 2018
    Cave Creek, Az
    58
    59 times
    Relic Hunting
    I believe I located the area of the Onyx mine that Richard Holmes once owned that is beyond the Seven Springs location on Fr24.

    I also believe Richard Holmes was involved in Ranching and had a good sized ranch located somewhere along the road to Bloody Basin which is not all that far from the location of the mine.

  8. #8
    us
    Apr 2013
    Huntington Beach California
    725
    3060 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    I believe I located the area of the Onyx mine that Richard Holmes once owned that is beyond the Seven Springs location on Fr24.

    I also believe Richard Holmes was involved in Ranching and had a good sized ranch located somewhere along the road to Bloody Basin which is not all that far from the location of the mine.
    Steve Jenkins, ..... You are correct, the RJ Holmes Sr. Onyx mine is past Seven Springs on that Forest road. Also, exactly 13 miles from Seven Springs on that Forest road you come to the 51 ranch, the old Matt and Tom Cavaness cattle ranch. The original stone ranch house stands alongside the road on the right hand side. Just down the road at the bottom of the hill is Holmes Creek and Holmes canyon. If you follow the creek to the west for 1 mile you come to the foundation of the Holmes cabin where Dick Holmes learned the dutchman story from John Phipps.

  9. #9
    us
    Nov 2011
    Jamestown ND
    Garrett 2500
    1,322
    1096 times
    Old Jesuits and Spainish Mines
    Hey that last statement sure changes the Dick Holmes story from what the record states. May I ask or take a guess, I’m pretty sure your gonna say the gold ore from the Velinca Mine of the Peralta’s was Gold in white Quarts,

    hummmm Babymick1
    Steve Jenkins likes this.

  10. #10
    us
    Apr 2013
    Huntington Beach California
    725
    3060 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by wrmickel1 View Post
    Hey that last statement sure changes the Dick Holmes story from what the record states. May I ask or take a guess, I’m pretty sure your gonna say the gold ore from the Velinca Mine of the Peralta’s was Gold in white Quarts,

    hummmm Babymick1
    I think you misunderstand. Dick Holmes first learned of Jacob Waltz and his mine from John Phipps at the Holmes ranch in Bloody Basin. When Waltz died some 8 years later Dick Holmes was at Waltz bedside and heard the mines story from Waltz himself. Two separate stories from two separate people some 8 years apart. I don't have any opinion of the Valencia ore so am not sure what you are talking about.

  11. #11
    us
    Nov 2011
    Jamestown ND
    Garrett 2500
    1,322
    1096 times
    Old Jesuits and Spainish Mines
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Roberts View Post
    I think you misunderstand. Dick Holmes first learned of Jacob Waltz and his mine from John Phipps at the Holmes ranch in Bloody Basin. When Waltz died some 8 years later Dick Holmes was at Waltz bedside and heard the mines story from Waltz himself. Two separate stories from two separate people some 8 years apart. I don't have any opinion of the Valencia ore so am not sure what you are talking about.
    No, I get it, It’s just an awkward coincidence that a guy named Peralta and Holmes both end up in the Dutchman’s lore.
    Holmes follows the Dutchman around the supers in stead ask where are your mines from the Peralta Stones, Mr Peralta.
    But all the Time Nothing is ever said by the Senior Holmes, Nor Jr, Then out of the blue near Brownie’s last days a Match Case, Manuscript, Affidavit, Know Dutchman Ore and a Old receipt from a essayer. plus a switch from gold in white Quarts.

    Matthew, you seam to have read all things in your time. So I’d would have to assume you have read the early stories that clearly stated gold in Rose Quarts like the sample you posted. But anyway I think I might have found that mine you mentioned in the North last week.

    Wrmickel1

  12. #12
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,099
    4729 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wrmickel1 View Post
    No, I get it, It’s just an awkward coincidence that a guy named Peralta and Holmes both end up in the Dutchman’s lore.
    Holmes follows the Dutchman around the supers in stead ask where are your mines from the Peralta Stones, Mr Peralta.
    But all the Time Nothing is ever said by the Senior Holmes, Nor Jr, Then out of the blue near Brownie’s last days a Match Case, Manuscript, Affidavit, Know Dutchman Ore and a Old receipt from a essayer. plus a switch from gold in white Quarts.

    Matthew, you seam to have read all things in your time. So I’d would have to assume you have read the early stories that clearly stated gold in Rose Quarts like the sample you posted. But anyway I think I might have found that mine you mentioned in the North last week.

    Wrmickel1
    you back on the sauce mick?
    wrmickel1 and markmar like this.

  13. #13
    us
    Nov 2011
    Jamestown ND
    Garrett 2500
    1,322
    1096 times
    Old Jesuits and Spainish Mines
    Why no Dave, I’ve been in AZ for the last month, it was snowy and cold but not as much as home.
    Just wondering why the Peralta Guy didn’t just go to the supers and dig the family stones up.

    Found a few mines on the trail and a good match to Mr Hats doodle but in a total different place,

    Babymick1

  14. #14
    us
    Dec 2008
    2,099
    4729 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wrmickel1 View Post
    Why no Dave, I’ve been in AZ for the last month, it was snowy and cold but not as much as home.
    Just wondering why the Peralta Guy didn’t just go to the supers and dig the family stones up.

    Found a few mines on the trail and a good match to Mr Hats doodle but in a total different place,

    Babymick1
    mick...the gold ore matthew posted a while back was probably from peters mesa...i dont ever remember him saying anything about finding gold in a mine north of the supers
    to answer your question about peralta not going into the mountains to dig anything up...after the U.S. kicked the mexicans out in 1848 they were no longer welcome here...if they would have been caught in the mountains digging they would have been shot on site..either by the U.S. or the indians ..i'm sure peralta was aware of that

  15. #15
    us
    Nov 2011
    Jamestown ND
    Garrett 2500
    1,322
    1096 times
    Old Jesuits and Spainish Mines
    Here is some of them

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FC08DEA3-9587-4A77-9694-93F871DCD304.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	205.0 KB 
ID:	1689858 Name:  AF2B5DF3-6909-4397-B3EE-0ED4A5342F03.jpeg
Views: 186
Size:  30.9 KB

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1A63AA07-451D-4F47-97F2-E75E1F99DBF9.jpeg 
Views:	34 
Size:	4.05 MB 
ID:	1689860 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D3E14650-935F-4EE5-A429-E4725349ED3E.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	774.3 KB 
ID:	1689861

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62DC8223-500F-4A58-B99C-4CDF287E5466.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.12 MB 
ID:	1689862 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AEB5EB66-D3C2-4B91-B2E4-6453921A3C58.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	3.14 MB 
ID:	1689863

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0049B3FA-3055-40EF-AC8F-465F57B8F3A4.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	1689864

    Now witch one is the Priest

    babymick1

 

 
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Exact location where Dick Holmes dug up the Dutchmans Nephew?
    By thefastship in forum The Lost Dutchman's Mine
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: Today, 10:11 PM
  2. Gillette Arizona Treasure Search, Father Failed, Son Takes over 1915.
    By jeff of pa in forum Treasure Legends - Arizona
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 10, 2017, 04:33 PM
  3. Fort Holmes or Camp Holmes - Hughes County
    By gazmuth in forum Old Maps - Oklahoma
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Jul 12, 2016, 10:48 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Sep 17, 2015, 07:55 AM
  5. Sims Ely book - why no mention of the Dick Holmes side of the story?
    By Cubfan64 in forum The Lost Dutchman's Mine
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Nov 18, 2013, 01:27 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0