Bloody Tanks - Where was it?

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Marius,

It's been said that the Frog Tanks on military maps in the 1860's is on First Water Creek. I can't tell where it is myself. Looks to be in that general area, though.

You are right, Jim. I found the " Frog Tanks " written on First Water Creek in a map published by Tom Kollenborn in one of his articles.
That article is about Army against Apache and has a reference to " Bloody Tanks ".
Tom Kollenborn Chronicles: In the Beginning

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,

I have to question the Jan. 1864 battle as the reason for the fight was AH Peeples trying to recover stock stolen from his ranch by Indians. But Peeples didn't start his ranch at date creek until well into 1865, over a year after the fight.

Kraig,

I've found a few references to the "People's (sic) Ranch" in spring issues of the 1864 Arizona Miner. I haven't had any luck finding the Abraham Peeples vs. the United States and Apache Indians claim 6253 USCC reference listed, but if someone is able to locate it online, I would love to read it. I would assume since it's a legal deposition document it should list the time and place where he lost horses or stock.

Even if he hadn't formally established a ranch, is it possible he was living there with horses and/or cattle that could have been run off by the Natives?

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim,

Have you had any luck tracking down any of the sources from the "Chronicles of War" sections I posted? Reading the account given by Simmons and trying my best to follow the directions (which could be interpretted different ways perhaps), I still don't come anywhere near far enough S or SE to reach the Miami, AZ area at all.

Whether the "Bloody Tanks" episode happened along Tortilla Creek, LeBarge, Fish Creek or some other tributary or even as far as Garden Valley (which I doubt very much), it still doesn't seem possible from all the accounts to have been able to reach Miami, AZ.

I read most of the thread Greg pointed to and Mike (Gollum) mentions the "official" report a few times - any idea what he's referring to? He also mentions a reference to them going "around the base of Superstition Mountain" but I can't find the source for that, and I don't think that's part of what he's calling the "official report."

This is a confusing conundrum

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread