Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Bloody Tanks - Where was it?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2017
    1471 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubfan64 View Post
    Just passing along some information I had. I've never looked into any of it myself but thought if folks had time to check out all the references he listed they might come to the same conclusion he did or find reasons he was incorrect. I would assume as you did that the Fish Creek reference was the author's comment based on the references and not related to when any of the landmarks were named.

Just thought it was interesting and could further the discussion.
    IMO it was the most informative post of the ENTIRE discussion. Now I know why there's so much confusion as to the actual location, and why there's a place named "Bloody Tanks Wash" over there by Miaimi. Those sources you provided will give me a big "leg up" and a place to start in a new direction. That's why I come on here!

My thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion and took the time to respond. Take care, Jim

us
    Apr 2013
    Huntington Beach California
    3183 times
    Jim,

I have to question the Jan. 1864 battle as the reason for the fight was AH Peeples trying to recover stock stolen from his ranch by Indians. But Peeples didn't start his ranch at date creek until well into 1865, over a year after the fight.

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2017
    1471 times
    Matthew, you're no doubt correct on that...I will look into that also. I find that most sources on this period of history can be contradictory...I also have the unfortunate tendency to make assumptions that are probably not correct. Many thanks!
    coazon de oro and Oroblanco like this.

gr
    Oct 2012
    4841 times
    Jim

I had in my mind the image of First Water Creek and I wrote wrong Frog Tanks. Sorry
    Marius

If your true to your heart, you will never go wrong. The truth is the truth, no matter how you look at it, and in every treasure story and legend there is a grain of truth. It's up to your spirit and heart to know the difference. NP

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2017
    1471 times
    Quote Originally Posted by markmar View Post
    Jim

I had in my mind the image of First Water Creek and I wrote wrong Frog Tanks. Sorry
    Hi Marius,

It's been said that the Frog Tanks on military maps in the 1860's is on First Water Creek. I can't tell where it is myself. Looks to be in that general area, though.

gr
    Oct 2012
    4841 times
    Quote Originally Posted by PotBelly Jim View Post
    Hi Marius,

It's been said that the Frog Tanks on military maps in the 1860's is on First Water Creek. I can't tell where it is myself. Looks to be in that general area, though.
    You are right, Jim. I found the " Frog Tanks " written on First Water Creek in a map published by Tom Kollenborn in one of his articles.
    That article is about Army against Apache and has a reference to " Bloody Tanks ".
    Tom Kollenborn Chronicles: In the Beginning
    Marius

If your true to your heart, you will never go wrong. The truth is the truth, no matter how you look at it, and in every treasure story and legend there is a grain of truth. It's up to your spirit and heart to know the difference. NP

us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
    2190 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Roberts View Post
    Jim,

I have to question the Jan. 1864 battle as the reason for the fight was AH Peeples trying to recover stock stolen from his ranch by Indians. But Peeples didn't start his ranch at date creek until well into 1865, over a year after the fight.
    Kraig,

I've found a few references to the "People's (sic) Ranch" in spring issues of the 1864 Arizona Miner. I haven't had any luck finding the Abraham Peeples vs. the United States and Apache Indians claim 6253 USCC reference listed, but if someone is able to locate it online, I would love to read it. I would assume since it's a legal deposition document it should list the time and place where he lost horses or stock.

Even if he hadn't formally established a ranch, is it possible he was living there with horses and/or cattle that could have been run off by the Natives?
    "There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind" - Joseph Conrad (Nostromo)

us
    Feb 2006
    New Hampshire - USA
    Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
    2190 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Jim,

Have you had any luck tracking down any of the sources from the "Chronicles of War" sections I posted? Reading the account given by Simmons and trying my best to follow the directions (which could be interpretted different ways perhaps), I still don't come anywhere near far enough S or SE to reach the Miami, AZ area at all.

Whether the "Bloody Tanks" episode happened along Tortilla Creek, LeBarge, Fish Creek or some other tributary or even as far as Garden Valley (which I doubt very much), it still doesn't seem possible from all the accounts to have been able to reach Miami, AZ.

I read most of the thread Greg pointed to and Mike (Gollum) mentions the "official" report a few times - any idea what he's referring to? He also mentions a reference to them going "around the base of Superstition Mountain" but I can't find the source for that, and I don't think that's part of what he's calling the "official report."

This is a confusing conundrum
    "There is no getting away from a treasure that once fastens upon your mind" - Joseph Conrad (Nostromo)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links