New site?...with different clue versions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
The shard is small so absolute identification is problematic, however, this one is either Anasazi, or Mimbres, i.e. Mogollon D00BC4B4-9226-4939-8D73-B92584D1016F.jpeg as can be seen from this chart, both are quite a distance from the Superstitions

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Same question for you Alan.

I'm assuming that both of you know something about why sherds of those types, and others as well, can be found in many places where even the archaeologists themselves did not expect to find them. Ceramic Petrographic Analysis is often used to find out why.
Thermoluminescence dating could be helpful except in the case of my sample, there is no associated timeline artifact to use as a comparison. Analysis of the composition of the clay used would help determine the general area where it came from, usually, pottery is fired rather close to where the clay was obtained.
If this shard is indigenous, there would need to be an identified clay source to support that conclusion. As it stands, it appears that this may have been imported, and since the Indians did not trade in pottery, the only theory that makes sense to me is that the pot was used to transport material during the Colonial Spanish occupation.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Thermoluminescence dating could be helpful except in the case of my sample, there is no associated timeline artifact to use as a comparison. Analysis of the composition of the clay used would help determine the general area where it came from, usually, pottery is fired rather close to where the clay was obtained.
If this shard is indigenous, there would need to be an identified clay source to support that conclusion. As it stands, it appears that this may have been imported, and since the Indians did not trade in pottery, the only theory that makes sense to me is that the pot was used to transport material during the Colonial Spanish occupation.

Wow...glad Wayne asked you too...my answer was gonna be: "Cause the maps showing where monochrome pottery culture was located don't include the area it was found in."

I don't know anything more about it.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Wow...glad Wayne asked you too...my answer was gonna be: "Cause the maps showing where monochrome pottery culture was located don't include the area it was found in."

I don't know anything more about it.
This was my college major

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine was in applied physics...banging electrons around:laughing7:

You should do some kind of thread on Superstitions area pottery, that's something I've never seen before.

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good way to explain it, Roy...i.e. why so many Dutch Hunters get all exasperated with the "Stones"...personally I don't know what to think of them, but my gut and experiences around there tell me they're about as fake as so much other garbage that has been peddled around about those mountains after Adolph Ruth brought the crazed masses in...perhaps I'm wrong, and my wish is that some day someone finds a big ol' treasure with them...not holding my breath, but one can hope...personally I have no interest in spending any of my time on them, but do find the various theories interesting as one never knows...

I kind of boxed myself in on my last post...like I won't believe anything unless it's scientifically accepted...really I'm just skeptical of such claims, not an outright "denier"...I've found things that don't fit accepted historical or scientific views. For example, I found this where archeologists and historians say it shouldn't be:

View attachment 1726380

I won't say where, as I don't want to bring in all the potsherd hunters...but anyone that knows anything about this type of pottery would say it shouldn't be where I found it. It has been returned to the earth where it was found.

And, for gratuitous eye candy purposes and no other, here's some cool Bully Bueno ore from this past April...we found your stash, Joe!!

View attachment 1726381

looks very similar to a site I dug up under a cholla rats nest. Assayed 2-1/2 oz per ton, I have the assay somewhere.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Mine was in applied physics...banging electrons around:laughing7:

You should do some kind of thread on Superstitions area pottery, that's something I've never seen before.
Good idea, but to find the time....
I can hold my own in a conversation on Physics, but since I started college late, It did not seem like a viable major for me, still, I love the subject

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
looks very similar to a site I dug up under a cholla rats nest. Assayed 2-1/2 oz per ton, I have the assay somewhere.

Don't tell Mick, but the potsherd had more gold in it than the Top Secret gold mine ore. Maybe we should hit it with your Ionizing Death Ray, I'll bring my lead apron!

Mad Scientist.JPG

Last edited:

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Don't tell Mick, but the potsherd had more gold in it than the Top Secret gold mine ore. Maybe we should hit it with your Ionizing Death Ray, I'll bring my lead apron!
I don’t think that has ever been done before, it would be very interesting to see which trace elements were in the shards, Daves XFR could do it

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was a milky white quartz with red hemetite in it, i still have some of it.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other

Now I want to know where yours came from
The supers or there about I hope.

You got some, Potbelly got some and I gots some, Mine has gold in it yours has gold and potbelly has no gold, Now I’d like to see if it’s the same fault line and which direction the ore with gold is headed.

Did yours look the same as this in visual gold

9F84EB9E-7FDA-42E2-9249-8E2A2B9702B6.jpeg

These are are my better pieces but they all have some gold in them.

Babymick1

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I want to know where yours came from
The supers or there about I hope.

You got some, Potbelly got some and I gots some, Mine has gold in it yours has gold and potbelly has no gold, Now I’d like to see if it’s the same fault line and which direction the ore with gold is headed.

Did yours look the same as this in visual gold

View attachment 1726460

These are are my better pieces but they all have some gold in them.

Babymick1

about a mile from state park area. Ours has more quartz & smaller gold. It was part of a vein. We never dug it out, only took samples.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Here ya go Mick, more Top Secret Mine ore. Dave knows exactly where it is but I wont tell anyone else.:laughing7:

Ore1.JPG

Ore2.JPG

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Knowing Dave it’s mostly from the same spot as Carrol’s was,

babymick1 How Big are the pieces

Carl995

Apr 5, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I was at that spot was with my dad in the 70's.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Knowing Dave it’s mostly from the same spot as Carrol’s was,

babymick1 How Big are the pieces

Well, judging by the 1 inch squares on the mat that I took the picture on, so people could see for themselves how big the pieces are, I would say about 4 inches across.:laughing7:

Just jerkin' your chain, Mick, all in good fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread