Surgeon Brayton

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Thorne told the story himself and with the famous Prescott pioneer Bob Groom and two other men actually went looking for the canyon. Groom tells of the experience in his papers at Sharlot Hall in Prescott. The famous Minor expedition was formed in Prescott largely due to Thornes telling of the story. Thorne also gave an account of the story while living at Lemitar New Mexico.

Dr. Thorne Not Dead

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...orne&y=8&x=18&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
deducer,

The surgeon Brayton story is basically the Doc Thorne story with Brayton mistakingly being identified as Thorne.

Brayton was never a doctor or a surgeon. Thorne was in fact a Dr. surgeon. Someone somehow mistook Brayton and wrote Thorne,s story using his name. Just another example of recorded printed history being wrong.

Matthew

Soldier, Surgeon, Scholar by William Henry Corbusier

With the outbreak of the Civil War Massachusetts native, George Mitchell Brayton (1834-1911) was commissioned as a First Lieutenant. In 1863 he was promoted to Captain and was awarded a brevet for gallantry at Missionary Ridge, Tennessee. Transferred to Camp Verde in 1874, Brayton engaged in several scouts. He retired in 1892 as a Colonel and died in Washington, D.C. Altschuler, Cavalry Yellow and Infantry Blue, 42. Fanny remembered Brayton in much more personal terms. Everyone was very kind to us. Colonel Brayton came every evening to exercise and play with the boys as father always did. He was very jolly and I think enjoyed the play as much as the boys. F. Corbusier, Recollections, 42.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Dr. Thorne? I have a photograph of the site on request.

[FONT=&quot]"Luz Chavez identified individuals interred in the Camposanto Viejo cemetery from her family records. They are, with date of death:Medardo Chavez (1883), Fabriciana Gonzales (1887), Maria F. Chavez 1891), Felix Chavez(1891), Maria de los Reyes Chavez (1895), Adela Chavez Chavez (1896.")[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]"Other people buried at the cemetery include: Miquella Castillo Chavez(1896), Dona Manuelita Vigil, Jacovo Pena, Dr. A. D. Thorne (buried within a few meters west of the cruz de perdon), Germicendo Benavidez,Amarita Benavidez, Anastasia Baca, Ramon Baca, Luis M. Baca (1895),Manuelita Gonzales & Hilario Gonzales."[/FONT]

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Soldier, Surgeon, Scholar by William Henry Corbusier
With the outbreak of the Civil War Massachusetts native, George Mitchell Brayton (1834-1911) was commissioned as a First Lieutenant. In 1863 he was promoted to Captain and was awarded a brevet for gallantry at Missionary Ridge, Tennessee. Transferred to Camp Verde in 1874, Brayton engaged in several scouts. He retired in 1892 as a Colonel and died in Washington, D.C. Altschuler, Cavalry Yellow and Infantry Blue, 42. Fanny remembered Brayton in much more personal terms. Everyone was very kind to us. Colonel Brayton came every evening to exercise and play with the boys as father always did. He was very jolly and I think enjoyed the play as much as the boys. F. Corbusier, Recollections, 42.

The title of the book Soldier, Surgeon, Scholar by Wm. Corbusier does not reference George Brayton as the soldier , Surgeon, Scholar rather Corbusier himself. The book is an autobiography of Corbusier himself. Brayton was not a doctor, he was an infantry officer, an Indian fighter and quartermaster. Somehow someone mixed Brayton up with the Doc Thorne account. An innocent mistake, no nefarious intentions I'm sure.

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
The title of the book Soldier, Surgeon, Scholar by Wm. Corbusier does not reference George Brayton as the soldier , Surgeon, Scholar rather Corbusier himself. The book is an autobiography of Corbusier himself. Brayton was not a doctor, he was an infantry officer, an Indian fighter and quartermaster. Somehow someone mixed Brayton up with the Doc Thorne account. An innocent mistake, no nefarious intentions I'm sure.

About the title you are correct but I can not account for the first twenty five years of Braytons life.
His father is well recorded.

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the title you are correct but I can not account for the first twenty five years of Braytons life.
His father is well recorded.

That is true but consider his entire adult career was spent as an infantry commander and supply quartermaster and Indian fighter. There is no mention of him ever attending medical school or acting as a doctor or surgeon in the Army. Doctors even in the Civil war era were non combatants as are today. Abraham Thorne was a doctor surgeon trained in Philadelphia and spent his entire career as such. Brayton was a remarkable man but not a doctor surgeon. Just an honest mistake.

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
That is true but consider his entire adult career was spent as an infantry commander and supply quartermaster and Indian fighter. There is no mention of him ever attending medical school or acting as a doctor or surgeon in the Army. Doctors even in the Civil war era were non combatants as are today. Abraham Thorne was a doctor surgeon trained in Philadelphia and spent his entire career as such. Brayton was a remarkable man but not a doctor surgeon. Just an honest mistake.

I wonder if this is Dr Brayton, somehow confused with Col. Brayton, confused with Dr Thorne.
Matthew, you are an amazing resource.

https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/...ton+&y=4&x=16&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.D. Brayton is a better fit than George Brayton as N.D. was a real doctor. But I believe N.D. was too young to have been active in the 1869 time frame in Arizona.(?) Still I would wager N.D. Brayton may have been the Brayton in the original article. The article does not give a first name, only refers to, surgeon Brayton.

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nelson D. Brayton could not have been the surgeon Brayton in the story. N.D. was not born until 1876. He was a physician and died at Miami, Arizona in 1967 at age 90. His father's name was Alambert Nelson.

Last edited:

Gregory E. Davis

Oct 22, 2013
Tempe, Arizona
Detector(s) used
eyeball it
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Hal and All: For those interested I have 9 three ring binders on the Thorne Family including Abram. Included is a picture of the wooden cross at Thorne's grave site which I took sometime back in the 80's. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Hello Hal and All: For those interested I have 9 three ring binders on the Thorne Family including Abram. Included is a picture of the wooden cross at Thorne's grave site which I took sometime back in the 80's. Cordially, Gregory E. Davis

As always you continue to keep me interested. This came moments ago from one of the find-a-grave volunteers. The site must have fallen into disrepair since your last visit.

[FONT=&quot]“Was just out at the cemetery, got a few photos, none of which show a grave, headstone, or any other sign of where Dr. Thorne is interred. The Cemetery has fallen into very hard times, with very little care. Mother Nature has being reclaiming her sacred ground slowly but surely. There are maybe six or seven graves that are truly marked and remnants of many more are visible, being rock piles and pieces of wood that were markers...”

We, especially me, are fortunate to live among those who understand the value of history and its preservation. When I think about those who have left a lasting impression on me, your name is darn close to the top of the list Gregory E. Davis.

I hope that you are well and making progress.[/FONT]

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Nelson D. Brayton could not have been the surgeon Brayton in the story. N.D. was not born until 1876. He was a physician and died at Miami, Arizona in 1967 at age 90. His father's name was Alambert Nelson.

A little insight... Col. Braytons father took him to Ohio when he was four.
It’s a place to start.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg sent me these photos to post on TNet. If you have specific questions, I'm sure he'll be able to answer them.

thorne1.JPG
thorne2.JPG

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Greg sent me these photos to post on TNet. If you have specific questions, I'm sure he'll be able to answer them.

View attachment 1741760
View attachment 1741761
Incredible.

Frederick M. Endlich, the gentleman who shared the Surgeon Brayton story was himself a Doctor, respected prospector and possibly manager of the Southern California Smelting & Refinery Company. He was a native of Pennsylvania, President of the Yankeeboy Mining Company, Colorado and married Emilie Berth (20) of France in 1892 at the age of 41.

Dr. Endlich was obsessed with poisons and took his own life at Tucson in 1899. Col. Brayton outlived Dr. Brayton by 11ish years.
I wonder if Col. Brayton had the chance to read the Dr’s story and if so, why a correction/retraction wasn’t published?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread