5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
They could have done the same thing with the Dutchman Story. As a matter of fact, that is how "Go Go Lucky" (production company) pitched "Legends of Superstition Mountain" to us. They changed up a couple of people at the last minute and made several story changes different from their pitch. They had available to them personal interviews with all the Old Timers that knew people like Herman Petrasch, Ed Piper, Celeste Marie Jones, etc etc etc. They could have made it about the hundreds of stories related to the Dutchman while searching for it, but they made a poor choice and opted for BS made up stories that they thought would keep people on the edges of their seats. Didn't happen.

That was the big bone I had to pick with them- I was really disappointed that they just opted to shoot for the lowest common denominator, and piled on them for that in the forum and ended up in Frank's doghouse haha.

Production companies make decisions like that because they don't fundamentally understand what excites people about treasure and lost mine stories.
Mike

More like Go-Go Luckey Entertainment just didn't care. If you look at their production history, their reality shows all have bombed or ranked poorly, except for "The Jacksons." They were in it just to turn a profit.

The fact that the pitch continually changed, tells me that the people who pitched you may have been enthusiastic, but their execs were not, and wanted to squeeze every dollar.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I am surprised some thing similar has not been done with the Dutchman mine story and the Beale story?

Crow

The Superstitions is a logistics and transportation nightmare for a production. That's on top of the fact that commercial exploitation is prohibited within the Superstitions. And, GGL with their dumb bat cave stunt has probably doomed any future prospects as far as the FS is concerned.

markmar

Silver Member
Oct 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maruis..this forum is entertainment....reality shows are 99% b.s. and are run by parasites that are looking to rob you of your hard earned research ..then twist it into their own line of b.s. and on top of that pay you nothing for it...if you are wise you wont tell them anything

For 20k I would tell them where is the first gorge on the south side of the west end of the range, from the Waltz clues :tongue3:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to admit watching some of the Australian shows and enjoying them. Opal hunters was a breath of fresh air so are the gold shows there were they detect for nuggets. They actually find stuff un like oak island themed shows.

Hate to burst your bubble (LOL), but Gold Rush is fake as well. Production gave Schnabel $100K to buy equipment and pay employees, and he pocketed everything. All those jars of gold they kept showing for the cleanouts were rented from Tony Beets. I live near Prescott Arizona, Melody Tallis lives near me. Dave Turin was prospecting on a creek (Lynx) three miles from home, and a buddy is good friends with Fred Hurt. A WHOLE LOT goes on behind the scenes of every "supposed" reality based show.

Mike

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
Cooper's Treasure was a fabrication also. The claims made on the show that Cooper somehow was able to observe or mark the position of shipwrecks he saw in his capsule from space were examined and found to be just invented.

Then the star of the show, Darrell Miklos, was looked into. He and his father had an 'colourful' background.

For example the shipwreck Miklos apparently discovers in the show using Cooper's maps was the same one located by his father back in the early 80s.

As the show wound on and downwards due to the inconsistencies piling up the last claim being made to keep it going was that an underwater feature Miklos had just found might be a UFO.

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to burst your bubble (LOL), but Gold Rush is fake as well. Production gave Schnabel $100K to buy equipment and pay employees, and he pocketed everything. All those jars of gold they kept showing for the cleanouts were rented from Tony Beets. I live near Prescott Arizona, Melody Tallis lives near me. Dave Turin was prospecting on a creek (Lynx) three miles from home, and a buddy is good friends with Fred Hurt. A WHOLE LOT goes on behind the scenes of every "supposed" reality based show.

Mike

You are right. They all get a salary for doing the show. Poor Fred I do believe his clean outs when I see them. Dave Turin seems to have a problem with trespassing and not following land owners rules. That is a big no no around here. Am sure the salary is what keeps Rick in the game.
(LOL). But.... my post said nothing about Gold Rush.It was the people metal detecting for nuggets and dry washing in Australia and the people who mined opals.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Just an observation: Why would the TV shows be any different than the legends passed down over the years? The clues, maps, stories, etc.

All most likely BS.

Fun to consider, get out in the field, try some theories. But if anyone ever finds anything, I doubt it's ever going to be on a TV show. Salted pans, black hands, Waltz was a murderer...all TV show stuff, and stuff of legends in books and old Desert Mag articles.

I can't watch Gold Rush or Oak Island because of all the fake drama. I used to watch because it showed guys fixing broken stuff, which for people who work with their hands and use backyard engineering, seeing stuff that may get you out of a jam is gold...but I can't take all the fake drama in any of these treasure TV shows. I got other stuff to do. Lots of folks sitting on their couches and working from laptops like this stuff. Makes 'em money all around. Good for them.

I was pretty happy with Jesse and Josh and their show, just doing normal treasure hunter stuff, a good bit of history, no drama. I also like the YouTubers: Wayne, Frank and the late "Raymond", they were able to put up their stuff without interference from all the yuppie producers who do UFO shows. Just my two cents. Carry on amigos.

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other

Mike

Mike,
What a bummer, Gold Rush show isn't real?
Hehehe. I tried to get into it, but drama, drama, drama.

Btw,
I used to live in and around Prescott different places back in my 20's.
Dewey, Mayor, Prescott Valley, and Prescott.

I was young and not much purchasing power, so all those rentals were not real nice.
The climate nicer than the Valley, which is where I grew up.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not just treasure hunting shows that are fiction, nearly all reality shows are, from Fixer-upper, Storage Wars, Apprentice, Mountain Men, Hunting Hitler, American Choppers, Fixer-upper, to Pawn Stars.

It's very rare that a reality show is completely unscripted and authentic- but they are out there: Deadliest catch, Ice Road Truckers, or COPS.

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
It's not just treasure hunting shows that are fiction, nearly all reality shows are, from Fixer-upper, Storage Wars, Apprentice, Mountain Men, Hunting Hitler, American Choppers, Fixer-upper, to Pawn Stars.

It's very rare that a reality show is completely unscripted and authentic- but they are out there: Deadliest catch, Ice Road Truckers, or COPS.

Maybe I am getting too old and worn out. I do not know what to believe anymore? CEO's companies, banks and politicians dribble so much verbal diarrhea that its hard to know what to believe. Now documentary makers and journalists once the bastion of searching for the facts have become cheap hustlers of doco fiction. Its hard to believe anyone anymore even if they tell the truth. Even if they are telling the truth we all assume their lying anyway because we have become so used to them lying.

Crow

Last edited:

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Maybe I am getting too old and worn out. I do not know what to believe anymore? CEO's companies, banks and politicians dribble so much verbal diarrhea that its hard to know what to believe. Now documentary makers and journalists once the bastion of searching for the facts have become cheap hustlers of doco fiction. Its hard to believe anyone anymore even if they tell the truth. Even if they are telling the truth we all assume their lying anyway because we have become so used to them lying.

Crow
generally you can tell when they are lying...their lips are moving:laughing7:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Crow

About forty years ago, an acquaintance sent me a copy of his self-published book entitled, "Everything You Believe Is A Lie". It had to do with the gullibility and vulnerability of humans and how easily we can be manipulated by and for the benefit of others. The book also focussed on the "bedrock narrative" that is the basis of our lives - educational agendas, government propaganda, false science, religion, manipulated history, and such. All crowd control tools - the belief systems that define our sleepwalking lives. The book was very well presented and well-written food for thought, but at the time I thought he had gone too far with his idea and I eventually sold it at a yard sale. As life went on and I experienced more and more red pills, I gradually began to admit that maybe the guy's premise was not so crazy after all. I'd like to read his book again, but it's no longer available anywhere. However, his idea remains food for thought.

OP
OP
Chagy

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hi,

Sorry that it has taken a while to post again. When I started this thread, we were in the initial development stage. Now there is a more defined idea of what the production team is looking for and the desired locations. We are looking for treasure stories in the US side of the Gulf of Mexico, Florida Keys, US east coast from Florida to Virginia. It could be land or water and the story should have the following:

1. Some type of evidence that proves the story is true
  2. Some type of evidence that can lead to finding the treasure.

Sorry to hear that many are so disappointed. All I can say I that we are looking for real stories to make good TV.

Thanks,

Stay safe!

Chagy…

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
Hi,

Sorry that it has taken a while to post again. When I started this thread, we were in the initial development stage. Now there is a more defined idea of what the production team is looking for and the desired locations. We are looking for treasure stories in the US side of the Gulf of Mexico, Florida Keys, US east coast from Florida to Virginia. It could be land or water and the story should have the following:

1. Some type of evidence that proves the story is true
  2. Some type of evidence that can lead to finding the treasure.

Sorry to hear that many are so disappointed. All I can say I that we are looking for real stories to make good TV.

Thanks,

Stay safe!

Chagy…
you are looking for real stories?...what for? you will just fill them so full of embellishments and drama that they do not even resemble the original story...why don't you just eliminate the middle man and just make up a bunch of drama and show it...that's where its going to end up anyway....Arthur asked you to post a link to your imdb page...what happened to that?:icon_scratch:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are looking for real stories?...what for? you will just fill them so full of embellishments and drama that they do not even resemble the original story...why don't you just eliminate the middle man and just make up a bunch of drama and show it...that's where its going to end up anyway....Arthur asked you to post a link to your imdb page...what happened to that?:icon_scratch:

Because the most believable stories always start with a thread of truth. After that, throw in some free masons, some knights templar, some vague "clues", a few interviews with historians and twist the heck out of it so you can't tell truth from fiction anymore and you've got yourself one heck of show! The thing all these shows have in common, they never have and never will find any real treasure. Closest we get is some ruins or caves that they want you to think have been never discovered, but in point of fact, every local has known and explored them for generations.

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Because the most believable stories always start with a thread of truth. After that, throw in some free masons, some knights templar, some vague "clues", a few interviews with historians and twist the heck out of it so you can't tell truth from fiction anymore and you've got yourself one heck of show! The thing all these shows have in common, they never have and never will find any real treasure. Closest we get is some ruins or caves that they want you to think have been never discovered, but in point of fact, every local has known and explored them for generations.

That's actually what happened with "Legends of Superstition Mountains" where they tried to pass off the bat cave as something that had never been found or explored before, and in their last episode, made it look like there was a Jesuit cross embedded in the rock there (that was a separate prop scene shot on a makeshift set).

In reality, the bat cave has been explored many times- IIRC, last time by Bill Burger from the AZGFD who climbed up there every year to count the bat population. Sadly, he recorded that it had gone from 40,000 to just 4,000 in just 10 years. The FS removed the bottom of the ladder to discourage people from climbing up there to disturb the bats. Someone from Washington made a technical climb up there in 2011 and reported being nearly overwhelmed by the smell of ammonia and said the guano in there was unbearable, very gooey and moist.

freeman

Apr 5, 2003
Well, that was disappointing.

But you'd think developmental producers would at least check first whether their idea for a show hadn't already been tried before they start posting 'wanted' ads looking for content.

There has already been a few postings from other production hopefuls doing that same show idea for the same locations.

Here is just one I quickly found: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/shipwrecks/594166-casting-new-tv-show.html

The postings even make the same type of claims that their show has been approved or financed or greenlit or whatever but then you don't hear of it again as the show never gets made.

I reckon it's because after they do some more developmental work and go back to the commissioning channel with a "more defined idea" they then get told their show isn't as novel as they think it is as the same thing has already been pitched by five others.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread