Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

deducer

Bronze Member
Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It's been brought up from time to time. The original host, Charlie Le Sueur passed away suddenly, earlier this year, I believe.

OP
OP
S

Steamboat

Feb 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The show has gone on without Charlie Le Sueur. It has some interesting segments.

Ryano

Feb 16, 2014
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
One of the early episodes discussed filming locations for the old western, “Lust For Gold”. Is there anything special about the treasure map used in the film ? It’s referenced by some people on the forum from time-to-time as though it has credence.

Jun 1, 2021
Chandler, Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do enjoy "Mysteries of the Superstition Mountain" episodes. Now I do enjoy talking about the LDM and Dr. Thorne, but I always wondered about the lost dragoon pistols. In one of their episodes, Larry Hedrick talked about a lost shipment of Dragoon pistols. For me this seemed like something that could be followed up on, and maybe even some historical documents. The problem though, is after a few weeks of checking old newspapers archived in the online ASU records from the area, I can't seem to find anything. He does offer up actual location in the re-telling, but I'm just trying to find some hard evidence before I spend a couple of days trekking up those canyons. I live in Casa Grande and can easily make some trips...I just want more proof. Can anyone help? Does anyone want to team up?

Dirt1955

Mar 10, 2015
Orange County, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact the superstition mountain museum to see if they will reach out to Larry Hedrick or Jack San Felice for you. I've found in my research through the years, start with the source of the story, you never know, catch em on the right day, just might give you some leads to follow.

Dirt

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I do enjoy "Mysteries of the Superstition Mountain" episodes. Now I do enjoy talking about the LDM and Dr. Thorne, but I always wondered about the lost dragoon pistols. In one of their episodes, Larry Hedrick talked about a lost shipment of Dragoon pistols. For me this seemed like something that could be followed up on, and maybe even some historical documents. The problem though, is after a few weeks of checking old newspapers archived in the online ASU records from the area, I can't seem to find anything. He does offer up actual location in the re-telling, but I'm just trying to find some hard evidence before I spend a couple of days trekking up those canyons. I live in Casa Grande and can easily make some trips...I just want more proof. Can anyone help? Does anyone want to team up?
I agree with Dirt. Larry Hedrick may be your best source on this.

Tom Kollenborn was the guy that originally told the story. According to the story, Tom ran across an old former soldier out in the Supes one day. This former soldier was out looking for the pistols. As the story goes, this guy had an old sergeant that told him about the lost pistols when he was a young private.

Apparently this guy had a bunch of paperwork on him that he showed to Tom.

In Tom's book "A Ride Through Time", he gives the old soldier the pseudonym of "Pratt Neal".

My advice is to read between the lines in Tom's story. There's a reason he gave the guy a pseudonym. He may not have been willing or able to relate the story exactly as it actually happened.

That being said, I think the story and documentation that Tom told Larry about, was totally truthful. I also think Larry is in the right area, for the same reason: The Narrows.

Edit: Welcome to the Forum:wav:

Jun 1, 2021
Chandler, Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Contact the superstition mountain museum to see if they will reach out to Larry Hedrick or Jack San Felice for you. I've found in my research through the years, start with the source of the story, you never know, catch em on the right day, just might give you some leads to follow.

Dirt
I got a reply from Larry Hedrick. My question was: I've watched this story multiple times and have tried searching the archives at ASU...old newspapers and such... and cannot find anything on this shipment, the lost soldiers, or anything. Can anyone help?

His reply:

larry hedrick

1 month ago
Leon: In 1871 the towns of Mesa and Superior did not exist. The first newspaper in Phoenix was in 1878. Its little wonder you can’t find any mention of it. There is a mention, and only a mention, in the book, The Last Bugle Call” which contains many records of Fort McDowell

Jun 1, 2021
Chandler, Az
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a reply from Larry Hedrick. My question was: I've watched this story multiple times and have tried searching the archives at ASU...old newspapers and such... and cannot find anything on this shipment, the lost soldiers, or anything. Can anyone help?

His reply:

larry hedrick

1 month ago
Leon: In 1871 the towns of Mesa and Superior did not exist. The first newspaper in Phoenix was in 1878. Its little wonder you can’t find any mention of it. There is a mention, and only a mention, in the book, The Last Bugle Call” which contains many records of Fort McDowell
Dirt,
I wanted more that one source, but alas, it seems like that will not happen. Thanks for your suggestion though. I really tried. The story of the lost dragoons is one of my favorite. Now, living in Arizona I would like more information, but it seems as though there is only one story on them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread