EDN

Apr 17, 2016
Gilbert, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Minelab Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dick-Holmes-Map-13 (1).gif

Does anyone have any back ground information about the Dick Holmes Map? (see attached)

Is there a story behind this map?

Love to hear if Matthew Roberts has any information?

Thanks,

EDN

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1889882

Does anyone have any back ground information about the Dick Holmes Map? (see attached)

Thanks,

EDN

Good morning EDN,
I am unfamiliar with this map, but it looks like 4-peaks at the North, and peak with hole in it, in the other direction, another peak to the west of it.
And the X looks to be just South side of a long wavy ridge, or it isn’t a ridge, but some hills, or a long wavy canyon.

Interesting:),
Idahodutch

Idahodutch

Bronze Member
Sep 25, 2019
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Gold Legend
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe it is a mirror image of a northward view, which might have that peak to the West, actually a bit to the South and East, and possibly representing Weavers Needle?

Our minds have us see what each of us wants to see, is part of the problem.

Last edited:

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1889882

Thanks,

EDN

EDN.

From what I have learned this map was a rough sketch of the major landmarks Holmes and Gideon Roberts believed Waltz was referencing during his deathbed directions.
Holmes is believed to have drawn the original but I have seen several variations of it over the years.
The map is not intended to get you to the spot where you put the pick in the ground, rather it is a guide using known landmarks to put you in the right country.
Here is the map the way Brownie Holmes explained it and the landmarks by name:

The top right is Four Peaks.
The bottom right is Miners Needle.
The middle left is Weavers Needle.
The wavy lines with the X is something Brownie would not divulge.

If you look at a map of the Superstitions these landmarks are in correct placement. Four Peaks is farthest North, Miners needle is farthest South, Weavers Needle is farthest West and between Four Peaks and Miners Needle.
It is the wavy line with the X that has been speculated on.
It appears North and East of Weavers Needle and North and West of Miners Needle. And South of Four Peaks.
The map is actually a good aid in the search if you could define the exact area of the wavy line with the X.

Matthew

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
EDN.

From what I have learned this map was a rough sketch of the major landmarks Holmes and Gideon Roberts believed Waltz was referencing during his deathbed directions.
Holmes is believed to have drawn the original but I have seen several variations of it over the years.
The map is not intended to get you to the spot where you put the pick in the ground, rather it is a guide using known landmarks to put you in the right country.
Here is the map the way Brownie Holmes explained it and the landmarks by name:

The top right is Four Peaks.
The bottom right is Miners Needle.
The middle left is Weavers Needle.
The wavy lines with the X is something Brownie would not divulge.

If you look at a map of the Superstitions these landmarks are in correct placement. Four Peaks is farthest North, Miners needle is farthest South, Weavers Needle is farthest West and between Four Peaks and Miners Needle.
It is the wavy line with the X that has been speculated on.
It appears North and East of Weavers Needle and North and West of Miners Needle. And South of Four Peaks.
The map is actually a good aid in the search if you could define the exact area of the wavy line with the X.

Matthew
I believe that the wavy line is the three red hills

Ponteach

Feb 1, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coincidence or !!
the X seems to be exactly where Herman Petrash went = tortilla mountain and less then a mile where Jesse Capens was found and
less then a mile from where Rinehart= Peters mesa and also George and M Roberts.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
sounds like you got it all figured out..better hurry up and go get it before someone beats you to it:laughing7:

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1889882

Thanks,

EDN

I find the whole map to be nonsense. For a man to be looking half his life in the mountains never knew the names of the peaks. Or not one good resemblance in the drawing to any of the peaks. That is not a Holmes map or maybe Holmes never spent much time there.

babymick1

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find the whole map to be nonsense. For a man to be looking half his life in the mountains never knew the names of the peaks. Or not one good resemblance in the drawing to any of the peaks. That is not a Holmes map or maybe Holmes never spent much time there.

babymick1

Mick, after reading a few of your recent comments, my first inclination was to call you a "grouch" and suggest you "lighten up".

Instead, I will simply say.................I sincerely hope 2021 is a better year for you and yours.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Mick, after reading a few of your recent comments, my first inclination was to call you a "grouch" and suggest you "lighten up".

Instead, I will simply say.................I sincerely hope 2021 is a better year for you and yours.

A Grouch, no! I did lighten up. Floating like a soap bubble you can’t get lighter then that.

Babymick1

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve been in a great mood all throughout 2020 hands down the greatest year yet.

Reason Why

F33DC834-0249-4297-8D71-7ABADEE4219C.jpeg 8566E9DE-F0DE-4B02-BB73-42376EA8B085.jpeg

Babymick1

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
That’s 60/40

Gold/Copper and some small amounts of other metals.

Babymick1

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I have a lot of pieces to go through and weigh I better get to It tomorrow they all go on sell. Gold is hot right now.

I’ll post the inside of the mine sometime this year you’ll love it.

35362614-CDE1-44E9-9A1D-56B24A4DAF46.jpeg

52666E74-D125-443B-8D55-9C1CA5EEA142.jpeg

A pan full and a drawer

Babymick1

Phil

Dec 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have a lot of pieces to go through and weigh I better get to It tomorrow they all go on sell. Gold is hot right now.

I’ll post the inside of the mine sometime this year you’ll love it.

View attachment 1890175

View attachment 1890176

A pan full and a drawer

Babymick1

Gold, a mine, and a 1911.................Life is good!

Can't wait to see the pictures.

wrmickel1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2011
Jamestown ND
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
Other
<br>
gold is high now but brass is cheap...lol

So your saying GemOro is wrong even though it’s the number 1 choice by jewelers.
The old acid test is messy and Dave’s still don’t believe the results. I’ll put brass on there for you Dave. Well see what I get.

babymick1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions