Medicine Cave in the Estrella Mountains

Steamboat

Feb 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this doesn't have anything to do with the LDM but on another post there were pictures of Quartz Peak in the Estrella Mountains and that jogged my memory.
In the 1950's and 60's I attended church with a elderly man who had homesteaded land next to the Estrella Mountains. He had spent a lot of time exploring the Estrella's.
Many times he spoke of what he called "Medicine Cave". He said the floor of the cave was several inches deep in reeds. These reeds had something stuffed in them. Some of them had a type of yarn wrapped around them. He felt the Indians used them as some kind of narcotic. That's why he called it "Medicine Cave".
When I was 18 or 19 years old I found the cave. It was more like a deep crevis than a cave. I found some of the reeds on the floor. They were about 1/2" in diameter and about 1 1/2" long. They did have something that looked like stems inside the reeds. A few had a type of string or yarn wrapped around them. None showed any evidence of having been smoked.
I have always wondered what the purpose of the reeds was.
When you look at the Estrella's from the Phoenix area there is a peak then to the right of the peak there is lower down a sharp peak. The cave is high up on the mountain at the base of this second sharp peak.
If I had a picture of the Estrella's I could point out where the cave was.
Maybe this will be of interest to some.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice reminiscence, thanks Steamboat. I wonder if they're offerings? When I was younger I would investigate such areas, now that I'm older, I steer clear of stuff like that.

Could be some ceremonial thing, but wouldn't it be funny if it was just some guys "man-cave" where him and his buddies went to catch a buzz and get away from the boss, wife and kids:tongue3:

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice reminiscence, thanks Steamboat. I wonder if they're offerings? When I was younger I would investigate such areas, now that I'm older, I steer clear of stuff like that.

Could be some ceremonial thing, but wouldn't it be funny if it was just some guys "man-cave" where him and his buddies went to catch a buzz and get away from the boss, wife and kids:tongue3:

Reeds play an important role in Pima/Maricopa tradition and cosmology.
As a rite of passage to adulthood the girls do the "reed dance".
I believe the boys are required to complete another test of endurance, similar to that practiced by other native peoples.
This involves a period spent in a remote place of isolation, often with no food or water. Reeds may be a part of that as well.
Steamboat: Your cave at that location, not far from the reservation, could be such a place.

Last edited:

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
If reeds are ceremonial, definitely sounds like a place I would avoid. Even though most of those folks are Christians these days and many of those sites have faded into cultural history. There's plenty to do and see out there without tramping around in such places. I wouldn't be surprised if the place is trashed today, tho. Most of them are. I know I regret poking around in such places as it's just disrespectful...something I was too dumb to consider as a kid.

Lots of old gold mines up there though. Supposedly some of them were pretty rich.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I've posted these before, but can't remember where...so here they are again, for those who haven't seen them...Milton Rose's True West article where he talks about Spaniards, mines in the Estrellas and Pimas, among other things...

View attachment Tayopa Milton Rose True West OCT 1958.pdf

View attachment Tayopa Milton Rose True West APR 1959.pdf

Edit: I seem to have misplaced one of them...anyone else have it?

Edit again: Found it...DUH!

Edit again again: Nope...that wasn't it...we apologize for the technical difficulties this idiot is having...

Ta-Da!...had to drag out all my old boxes of magazines and find it...scan in it...here it is, yellowing ancient pages and all:

View attachment Tayopa Milton Rose PT 2.pdf

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Steamboat

Feb 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the information. I have always wondered what all the reeds were for. I have never been able to find any information on the use of reeds like those in the cave. The cave was high up on the mountain and it was quite a climb to get there.
PotBelly Jim you have amazing research ability.

PotBelly Jim

Dec 8, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
I appreciate the compliment, Steamboat, but the truth is I'm a babe in the woods. Mostly a crackpot to those who know me:laughing7:

I like hearing old stories and reminiscences from people who remember the valley in days gone by...if you can remember any more, please post...I know I'm not the only one who appreciates them.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
I appreciate the compliment, Steamboat, but the truth is I'm a babe in the woods. Mostly a crackpot to those who know me:laughing7:

I like hearing old stories and reminiscences from people who remember the valley in days gone by...if you can remember any more, please post...I know I'm not the only one who appreciates them.
there is a member here that checks in once in a while..he is pretty savvy on the estrellas....if he sees this thread he will probably chime in

jacobwaltz

Tenderfoot
Sep 3, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for this thread, I need to get more active on the forum and see if anyone wants to get out and treasure hunt or hike. I'm always interested in the Superstitions, but now I am way out towards the Estrellas. A couple of months ago I took a drive out near Rainbow Valley but I couldn't even find a place to park and eat a sandwich that wasn't private property. There were a couple dirt roads I decided not to take in my old vehicle. I will definitely check out the articles above!

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Montezumas Head 030.jpg Montezumas Head 029.jpg

Montezumas Head 042.jpg

Estrella Mountains

View attachment 1907343 View attachment 1907346 View attachment 1907344

OP
OP
S

Steamboat

Feb 20, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Azquester, Thanks for the pictures. I remember seeing some Indian rock art on the way to Medicine cave. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera.

Tilemaster13

Greenie
Mar 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know right where this is. Facing the new 202, 1/3 of the way down. Its marked as an adit on maps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread