Jan 28, 2012
Pinal Mountains,Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog-2012-1st MD.
White's Goldmaster V/Sat-2nd-MD-2013
Tesoro Lobo-2015-3rd
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I also joined a few months ago but never knew this thread existed.
Have had to help find any items yet,but am always ready and willing.
Maybe this will give us Mders a better reputation besides helping people out.

dusty1530

Aug 14, 2013
Brownsville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any members in the area of Brownsville TX ?

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this sounds like a great idea, and sometimes it works out, I have been searching for lost valuables for years : Here are the cons:

You will spend a lot of gas money getting to from the site.

You will spend hours of your time.

You will NOT be on a fun relics hunt.

The people are ALWAYS off on their prediction of "where exactly" they lost their item.

Most searchers are not willing to travel 2, 3, 4 hours one way to search for a lost valuable, so their item never gets searched for.

I've had 2 people in my area that I spent hours searching for in a lake - One called me back and found his ring in his house and the other... "his fiance lied about losing the ring and was trying to pawn it off". SO I spent 6 hours underwater for nothing - Time I could have been relic hunting or spending with my family.

So...remember, things sound really good sometimes on paper - but when you actually get involved, it becomes costly in both time & money. Good luck to everyone out there.

Ohh, almost forgot - The Pro's - If you do find and return a lost valuable - One of the best feelings you can have!!!

Last edited:

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea . Just signed up . I already have 5 rings in the FOUND catagory over the years .

There is a good , but not perfect system for helping the victim of lost items . Have them start writing down ASAP everything they did the day the item was lost . Memories fade with time . Hopefully by the time you have a chance to search for them , you may be more successful . I'm sure others here have Tips they could share to help recoveries go smoother ....:thumbsup:

OP
OP
fogcity

fogcity

Aug 26, 2010
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey there --

It's August 2013 and I wanted to give everyone an update on the Group.

As of today we have 1799 members in 16 countries and we've issued Lost Item Reports for 740 items. Of those, we've had members available to search for 424 items (57%) and we've managed to find 216 of the ones we've searched for (51%).

The Group continues to grow and I'm hoping we reach the 2000 member mark by the end of the year!!!

We added a new feature to the website this summer... Now when we issue a Lost Item Report or announce that we found a Lost Item, we automatically post the info on our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/lostmystuffgroup). It seems to help us become more well-known!

All for now,

Fogcity

Last edited:

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This just goes to show what we detectorists already know , lots of good hearted people in this hobby .......:thumbsup:

mortarman

Aug 12, 2012
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Teknetics Omega 8500, Garrett Master Hunter 7, Garrett Pro-pointer/ Stavr Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this sounds like a great idea, and sometimes it works out, I have been searching for lost valuables for years : Here are the cons:

You will spend a lot of gas money getting to from the site.

You will spend hours of your time.

You will NOT be on a fun relics hunt.

The people are ALWAYS off on their prediction of "where exactly" they lost their item.

Most searchers are not willing to travel 2, 3, 4 hours one way to search for a lost valuable, so their item never gets searched for.

I've had 2 people in my area that I spent hours searching for in a lake - One called me back and found his ring in his house and the other... "his fiance lied about losing the ring and was trying to pawn it off". SO I spent 6 hours underwater for nothing - Time I could have been relic hunting or spending with my family.

So...remember, things sound really good sometimes on paper - but when you actually get involved, it becomes costly in both time & money. Good luck to everyone out there.

Ohh, almost forgot - The Pro's - If you do find and return a lost valuable - One of the best feelings you can have!!!

If we're volunteering our time to search, we already know the "cons" as you say. That's why it IS such a great service, because of that! We do it because it's the right thing to do. Who cares how hard it may be. I haven't had the opportunity to help anyone yet but I've seen the faces of people who lost a wedding ring or similar item and the look on their faces when it's found is reward enough for what little sacrifice we may endure.

OP
OP
fogcity

fogcity

Aug 26, 2010
Overland Park, Kansas
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everybody --

It's April 2014 and here's an update on the Group.

As of today we have 2158 members in 19 countries and we've issued Lost Item Reports for 970 items. Of those, we've had members available to search for 563 items (58%), and 295 of those have been found (52%).

The Group continues to grow and I'm hoping we reach the 3000 member mark by the end of 2014!!!

Facebook shut down their email feature so we no longer seem able to automatically post when we issue a Lost Item Report or find an item on our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/lostmystuffgroup), but quite a few people seem to monitor the page so we add the info manually. (If anyone knows a way to make it work again, please pm me!)

All for now,

Fogcity

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread