Found Ring 1963 - need help in identifying

Chris680

Greenie
Jul 15, 2014
Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a ring I found in the mid 1970's in the Chicago area. I have tried on and off through the years to find the owner. I am trying once again hoping I have more luck now with more information on the Internet.

Attached is a picture taken through a magnifier.

This is what I have gathered so far: It seems to be a female's Catholic ring (high school or college). Obviously the graduation year is 1963. Upper left corner is St M. Upper right corner is a cross with possibly some letters over it that have worn off or are just rays of sunshine. Bottom left is an N with what I believe to be a crozier (bishop's staff). The bottom right has two letters (top one I'm not sure of) and I believe a letter S.

I have looked for schools in the Chicago area and have ruled out St. Mary's (closed). It could possibly be St. Michael's (closed) and have written to a few people I have found via Facebook who graduated from that class and have not gotten a response. I also realize that it may be from somewhere else and the person who lost it was visiting Chicago at the time.

St M may not even be the school. I cannot figure out what the N with the crozier means or the other two letters and am hoping that could give me more direction.

The person's initials are on the inside of the ring.

Also Herff Jones is marked on the inside. I have contacted them and they do not have records from that far back. I sent them a picture and they do not recognize it.

I have contacted the Chicago Tribune to help and did not get a response. I am running out of ideas!

Anyway, if anyone knows the meaning of the N with the crozier or what the other letters may stand for or any other help, I would appreciate it.

RING.JPG

Thanks for reading!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wow quite a mystery. Medieval Latin crociarius "bearer of a cross,". N with crozier could mean Bishop Newman. Top letter a H? Bottom a S for High School? good luck!

OP
OP
C

Chris680

Greenie
Jul 15, 2014
Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Good thought! I did find a Bishop Neumann High School after your suggestion, but it was established in 1964! Close! I'll keep checking. Thanks!

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok .. this is a puzzler, I agree with all you have stated above. But I will add it looks to be a Sapphire birth stone, which would be a Virgo, born in September. and Also there are nine "rays of sunshine" above the cross.. maybe some might recognize that symbol.

OP
OP
C

Chris680

Greenie
Jul 15, 2014
Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Great idea that the cross may have meaning. Will add that to my list to research! Thanks!

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've looked at ring after saving and making much larger. You know this looks to me like it could be a ring given to clergy when they graduate from seminary and become a priest. It looks like the whole image is backwards as if in a mirror or something. But I don't think it's a regular school, more like a seminary or similar.
RINGC.jpg

OP
OP
C

Chris680

Greenie
Jul 15, 2014
Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I've looked at ring after saving and making much larger. You know this looks to me like it could be a ring given to clergy when they graduate from seminary and become a priest. It looks like the whole image is backwards as if in a mirror or something. But I don't think it's a regular school, more like a seminary or similar.
View attachment 1026045

Yes, I think that is definitely a possibility. Also STM is a degree but I would think the T would be capitalized. I've been trying to find out the meanings of the religious symbols to get more clues. Maybe it is a man's ring and he has small fingers? I will keep digging!!! Thanks for the suggestion!

The Master of Sacred Theology (Latin: Sacrae Theologiae Magister; abbreviated S.T.M.) is a graduate-level, North American, academic degree in theology equivalent to Th.M.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions