Mar 10, 2013
ILL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Teknetics T2 LTD,Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello,
Went out yesterday and hunted an old school house in Clay County Illinois. I found this Dog Tag but cannot find the fella by his service number. I did find a grave.com and found two fellas close but both were in navy. I did a generic search on the Archives website and his number doesn't come up. It seems as every number around him enlisted at Jefferson barracks in Missouri. I want to contact the family, but this seems to be at a deadend. My question is this dog tag original were they reproduced? Any help would be great it says James R Dennis 17194182. Thanks Dustin IMG_0463.JPG

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
He probably enlisted in 1946, the year he received his Tetanus shot ("T-46") His blood type is "O" and his religious affiliation is Protestant ("P"). The first two numbers of his tag ("17") designate the group of states where he enlisted; and Missouri is within that grouping.
The tag looks genuine but, yes, they can and are sometimes duplicated.
I encourage you to keep researching; the reward you seek is well worth the effort.
Don....

OP
OP
D

dobber97

Mar 10, 2013
ILL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Teknetics T2 LTD,Teknetics Delta 4000, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just an update..... The family of dog tag was found in New Jersey. It seems this James Dennis enlisted at Jefferson Barracks in St.Louis. With help I found his oldest daughter living in New Jersey. He was born south of St. Louis enlisted Feb 9th 1946 and was stationed at Fort Dix ,NJ where he met his wife of 49yrs and stayed in NJ. No explanation of how it ended up 2hrs east of St.Louis but his dad worked for the B&O railroad which runs through here. So maybe they met for supper at the School House where I found it or something else only James probably knows

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread