Comparing Swifts trip in 1767 to Boones trip in 1767.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey KY Hiker/Brushy,

The Grayson reservoir is a great place! Some guys claim its the place swift left his name and other carved on rocks only visible during pool.

Lets go this winter! you can see a lot more at pool level...sorry summer just didn't work out. I am off work until the 14th, only have physical therapy 2X a week. Would love to show you guys the start of the waybill and the stone house remains. PM me if interested.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested! ...unfortunately I go back to work on Jan. 2nd. I have a commitment on Saturday the 12th, but another weekend would be good for me.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We will do it when the weather permits ..maybe around the end of the month? Anyone lese want to go?

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe. If I can take the time off. I was there a few years ago when we had the meeting of the minds.. but that was summer.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The second and longest video is right interesting. All of it actually. But about 7 minutes into the video reveals a limestone conglomerate layer under the sandstone. A right good area to start looking. I like the whole area of Grayson Lake. It looks to me like that should be the area of where some of the silver mines was located?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The second and longest video is right interesting. All of it actually. But about 7 minutes into the video reveals a limestone conglomerate layer under the sandstone. A right good area to start looking. I like the whole area of Grayson Lake. It looks to me like that should be the area of where some of the silver mines was located?

Yes, the Indian waybill/Caney Ck. discussions are in that area. I think Curtis is probably the most knowledgeable on that area, Boomer along with a few others have some personal experience there as well.

w4wxr

Greenie
Sep 6, 2011
Keavy , Ky
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which book about Daniel Boone did you get the best information out of? There is at least 2 listed with the title above.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1546785522.012806.jpg This is where I read it.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the Indian waybill/Caney Ck. discussions are in that area. I think Curtis is probably the most knowledgeable on that area, Boomer along with a few others have some personal experience there as well.

Thank you for the acknowledgment Hiker. I have some personal experience there. Haha

OP
OP
-Ki-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
That could have been a factor in why Swift concealed and abandoned the mines.. The Indian threat was almost at a peak in the area around that time = making it super dangerous to be anywhere West of the mountains.. Even if he had some Shawnee with him there were way more hostile shawnee that definitely outnumbered the few who were with Swift.. I wouldn't doubt if that was the only reason he had to abandon the mines.. Although it is very plausible that Boone played a part in it as well..
I agree, Indian hostility ramped up that time period, and Indians were hostile to any white man that encountered them.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have met him, and Brushy reminds me of when I was a young man just starting to look into the Swift legend, now, 40 years later I see the enthusiasm, endurance, intelligence, and tenacity in him that I had, still some left...but a lot less.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I volunteer and do trail maintenance at 53, we have 78, 72 and 84 year old men that still come out and hike several miles in and then back out and help clear downed trees, repair washed out sections and build water bars. They still got it, just not as much of it. But it motivates me to continue, because as they say...the only way to keep moving is to keep moving. Soon as you start to say your too old for that, you will be!

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
A bit of information that goes along with this thread.. on Rt. 40 between Paintsville and Inez there is a community named Boons Camp. No problem figuring out how it got is name. In 1800 give or take a few years Floyd Co. was formed. Many of the Counties in eastern Ky. has been formed out of parts of Floyd Co. Parts of Letcher, Knott, Breathitt , Wolfe , Morgan, Elliot and Lawrence and all the Counties east of them was Floyd Co. when it was formed. maybe it doesn't change anything ,just thought I'd share.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That same conglomerate can be found in the RRGorge area, as i recall its generic name is Rockcastle Conglomerate. I have asked about this layer before and its description to me was a natural forming concrete of sorts...explained to me in laymen terms because I am about as dumb as a box of rocks when it comes to geology. But I assume it's formation as a mixture was due to some sort of disruption in normal sedimentary processes. I do recall many small-white-round-smooth, pea to marble sized like stones within that layer.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread