Swiz

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Treasure marks and signs has several threads that deal with bear monuments and other ancient signs .
I have encountered many things that predate Swift that bear scrutiny . One can not narrow a search so much that other obvious clues are ignored when all the trails lead to the same place .
Jim

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello TruckinButch
I 'm not scutinizing or ignoring anything, I just have never heard of a bear monument "involved with the Swift mines". There is however a bearpaw carving associated with the Swift mines.

Swiz

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Just trying to bring ancient trails to light that Swift was probably following , too . They all tie together .
Swift was not unique and exploited nothing that others before him had not found or placed .

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had never came across the Bear mark either, but I believe it could have been just like the snake trail over on the Little Sandy, or the trails that seem to be marked by carving/paintings of human hands. We mentioned before these trails were like our Interste highway markers back then, anyone and everyone used them! So if you have some lets see some pictures guys! The location in general would be nice, it might help someone else out or they might have something that might help you.

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Swiz(Bear Monument)

Hello Curtis,
How ya been? I hope your holiday season was nice! The bear monument that Truckinbutch had noticed and discovered can be viewed in topic #35 in the J. Swift forum. Scroll down to the picture of Chimney Top Rock that was taken during the J. Swift campout back in October and you will see a natural outline of a bear in the face of the cliff. I have no doubt that certain geologic features, carvings, markings etc. were used to navigate by to get to certain places...I agree totally, because this is what I do with several of the carvings I have found.
All I am saying is that I have never heard of a bear monument mentioned, "as a trail marker to navigate to the Swift mines" but it could be possible,... Indian and early pioneers noticed many things in the terrain, such as the "Mans Face", a buffalo rock, a lighthouse etc., etc., etc. If a bear monument is mentioned in the Swift folklore/legend etc., " to find the mines", it is news to me, and I thank Truckinbutch for pointing it out and...If so... then Truckinbutch has made a good observation and find, and I would like to hear the story of the Bear monument trail. I do know, however of a bearpaw carving in the area, that was left in several different places.

Swiz

OP
OP
truckinbutch

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I made the post about the bear because of an ethical dilemma.
I was invited into this by Swiftsearcher for my practical knowledge boots on the ground . I have also been tutored by Old Dog on trail signs and monuments . On the ground with Scott I found many things he had missed with too narrow a focus .
He has since dropped off the grid and has had no contact with me . None the less , I feel that I have no right to share pictures and drawings of what I found on the trail with him . We had a gentleman's agreement of nondisclosure and I try to remain a gentleman .
My point was to open the box a bit for the rest without sacrificing my own integrity .
Jim

jack flash

Greenie
May 7, 2009
In the version of the tale about Lakely-who died near Frakes searching for a treasure, there is mention of a bear or bear paw carving. He found this near the Towers, in the Gorge in the Breaks of Sandy. It was near the mine and he searched for it but could not find it. He thought he had walked over it. Lakely was on the Salt Fork of Sandy for awhile, then in the Breaks of Sandy for awhile. He gradually worked his way along Pine Mountain before meeting his demise near Frakes. The bear or bear paw carving, is supposed to one of the final symbols before one gets close to the mine.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You know Jack, wasn't Benge the one who was supposed to get his ore in the breaks? Could be he was close to one of the indian mines...could be a carving to keep an eye out for...could be a cave nearby..

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Matt,
Whats up brother!

Swiz

DMSDAK

Jul 30, 2006
Southeast Bluegrass
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cutlass
Guys are we gonna get another meet together? I think this time we need to get a campout going up in The Breaks Interstate Park, a little closer for some of the older guys, and we'll be able to have more of them to hang out longer instead of just the one day most are only able to attend do to the distance. Lemme know what yall think and I'll get a poll up later on if there is any intrest in this!

Seth

jack flash

Greenie
May 7, 2009
Matt-There are several caves and interesting sites there. Benge, Melungens, the mullinses and others are mentioned in counterfeiting and mining tales there. There are lots of interesting tales in the Breaks Area. I have not looked for the Bear Paw carving but have seen other carvings there. In fact, my Grandpa used to search an area there with some interesting carvings-he also was at Drift and Dwale as well as some other places. Seth-Tim Belcher has been working on a treasure meeting in Elkhorn City this Spring. Usually we have a good turnout. There has been some great meetings there in the past.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Swiz! How's it goin'?

Yeah Jack, I'd like to do some walking Strait creek when the weather warms. Two places for sure..the only problem is the snakes. Have you seen any snakes down the creek between The Laurel shop and the state line? Keep in touch Ya'll....

-swiftfan-
Matt

Swifty

Aug 13, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT (E- Series)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Ya''ll, 1/15/2011 @ 11:58 P.M.
I want to say, that I really enjoyed meeting everybody in the J. Swift T-net forum, and at the campouts, I really had great fun. I am checking out of the t-net forum permanently, the time in my life has come to move on to different things, I don't know what yet, but I will find something? I been huntin treasure to long without any luck, the J. Swift legend and terrain and mountains have gotten to big for me to pursue anymore alone.
I will drop into the forum occasionally from time to time to chat with ya'll. I have done some pretty good work over the years with the carvings in and around the Red River Gorge area, where I believe Swifts upper mines to be., etc. I will be glad to help anyone who wishes to search this area, if any important information comes about I will let ya'll know. I want to wish ya'll the best of luck on your search. Feel free to email me anytime at [email protected]. If anyone wants to know what ever happened to me, please relay this message...God Bless ya'll!...

Your Friend and confidant,

Bill N.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope we cross paths again sometime Swiz, I will never forget the time we were looking for silver in COONHUNTERs canyon and found the cave with the silver in it.
send me a PM when you can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread