Great Shawnee Cave map?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had just read Swiz's post on the Great Shawnee Cave location and then his post on the topic of the carvings found, this coupled with a picture posted by ki a year or so ago jogged something loose. The carving collection had one that had mountain looking places like this ^^^. I had found and posted pics of something similar long time ago and had to go get the pic again to look..it has more characters like something to take note of and lines looking like a trail to a place between two sets of the ^^^ then to a hole..always Thought of it as a mine..could it be a significant cave? Here are the pics..not sure how they will post. one is in negative.

Attachments

• Sunday, January 13, 2008 (4).jpg
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 (4).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,274
  • Sunday, January 13, 2008 (4).jpg
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 (4).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 832
  • Sunday, January 13, 2008 negative.jpg
    Sunday, January 13, 2008 negative.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,021

Ky. Ken

Nov 14, 2011
eastern , Ky.
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack cheap one
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curtis!! I notice a symbol over the top set of^^^ .. Could that be a symbol for a tree marker of direction??? Don't know if you read the article I posted the like to the other day or not, but it talked about tree markers pointing out important thing like water , shelter and such.. I'm sure the great cave would be an important place to them..
Tree Markers of the Native Americans was the title of the thread.. there is a video as welll

OP
OP
Curtis

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did notice it, and I did check out the posts on tree markers, but it didn't seem important as the focus of the map seemed to be the steps you would go or direction to get from where you were to another place and the other symbols are all larger and seem part of what the originator was trying to communicate..the mark you mentioned maybe something to look for or it could be something in the rock naturally.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:icon_thumleft:^^^ COULD mean THREE mountain ridges over... BUT! The SECOND mountain ridge has an ARROW pointing at the "top"... :dontknow: :coffee2: :read2: :coffee2: Coffee? :wink:

Ky. Ken

Nov 14, 2011
eastern , Ky.
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack cheap one
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a very interesting carving, and it is amazing how reading a post someone post on hear jogs ones memory of a pic or a carving they have seen somewhere along the way. I was just passing along thoughts.. Sometimes it's the little things about the carvings that yield the info one is looking for.. I haven't been at this long but love seeing all the carvings..

Happy Hunting!! Ken

OP
OP
Curtis

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good catch Rebel,

I hadn't really noticed it that way...the funny thins is out of the Post picture sight is a line going towards the mountains or ^^^ and it starts with what looks like a cross..so I was thinking Spanish or french were in the area around Elliott county..the lines between the ^^^ go to the hole chipped in the rock--makes me think of a mine/cave now..before I had thought something may have been buried.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Curtis, got to thinking, that the "chipped hole" could be a "sighting point" for surveyors back in the "old days"; the "cross" also could mean "sighting instrument" with a north to south, east to west "focus". SOMETIMES, there are "sighting holes" in rocks, on the ground to set yer "pole" in to "zero in" for the NEXT "clue" or cache/stash... AND! The "dot": between the two "ridges" could be the sun or moon. Will look at "pic" to see what else MAY be there. DUNNO.

Last edited:

KnuteM

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
w =west but there are pull signs the numbers is varas =distense to travel the arow is a pointer jj jesse james catch?

KnuteM

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the w could realy be 3 or bird or m which could mean aything realy whith out a date or a symbol its hard 2 say who carved itthe arow as long as it is statched is the right pointer to travel remember 3 is good treasure symbol most of the time 2 backwards jj is jesse james trade mark but i better stop what do i no right.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread