Lakey Discovery?

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I hope everyone is doing well. I was re-reading Mike Steelys John Swift book and had a question on the Lakey discovery of the silver bars. It seems like someone on here once said that discovery was a fraud. Can anyone clarify this or know any information about the discovery outside of the book? Thanks.

Dirty Boots

Greenie
Jun 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was browsing different threads and saw yours on the Lakely Treasure. I also have a copy of Steeley's book and found it interesting. In 1993 or 1994, I stopped at a restaurant in Jellico, TN and overheard people talking about the John Swift Treasure Weekend going on. I like to collect treasure books and the weekend promised authors selling and signing their books. I decided to get directions and go to the event. While I was there, I met author Michael Paul Henson and bought a copy of his John Swift book and had him sign it. At the time I was there, there was another guy with him in the booth and they were showing lots of pictures concerning the Lakely treasure. What I remember was that there was a lot of stuff found. Several years later when I bought Steely's book, I was surprised that he didn't show more of what was found concerning the Lakely treasure. The stuff I saw didn't look fake to me. I was impressed with their finds. Neither Henson nor the other guy would say much about where the pictures were taken. A lot of it looked Spanish. It was an interesting weekend. Guess they don't have the treasure show in Jellico any more. Thought I'd share that with you.

OP
OP
EC.Mason

EC.Mason

Feb 6, 2009
West Liberty Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate the info, that's an interesting story. It seems like in a thread on this website someone said it was a hoax; however I can't find the thread where it was mentioned. Maybe I'm imagining things! Lol. I don't know if they still do the treasure weekend or not. I always wanted to go but never made it down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread