mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Does anybody do any hunting or hiking in the Clintwood area. My grandfather use to tell me tales of swift and things he had seen in the mountains years ago. I wish i could remember some of the places he spoke of, guess i was too young to be interested. I know he loved hiking in the breaks Va and done a lot of hiking in Clintwood area.
Would if I could (HIKING); LOTS of Melungeons Silver Mines in SouthWest Va. Mountains.

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I've heard of a lot of things in the mountains there. I've just recently started hiking the area some. My grandfather told me of caves, waterfalls, and all sorts of things there. I've found a few caves in the mountains there really awesome exploring them.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah I've heard of a lot of things in the mountains there. I've just recently started hiking the area some. My grandfather told me of caves, waterfalls, and all sorts of things there. I've found a few caves in the mountains there really awesome exploring them.
It IS beautiful; been in SW Va. & Grundy, Va. was my "fave" area of RETREAT. "Google" Melungeon Silver Mines near Clintwood, Va. HH! Have FUN! Good Luck!

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. Googled it and got a lot of good info. Actually went to Birch Knob this morning. Hiked the area for about 7 hours had a blast. Lots of awesome things there especially when you get off the trails.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thanks for the info. Googled it and got a lot of good info. Actually went to Birch Knob this morning. Hiked the area for about 7 hours had a blast. Lots of awesome things there especially when you get off the trails.
YW; BEST times to hike the mountains are LATE FALL, WINTER, EARLY SPRING. When I was younger, I "did" the mountains of the Shenandoah Valley (Rockingham & Page Counties), down from the Shenandoah National Park (aka Skyland Drive); critters & leaves are "down", you can see OLD Mountain communities, OLD roads, creeks & waterfalls... was just hiking, didn't care about buried treasures, old mines, etc. I know of @ 3 old mines in Roanoke County on the AT; OLD Turn-pikes, now used as NPS "Fire Roads"... down from BRP. I LOVE the Mountains!

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your absolutely right. Late fall and winter is the best hiking. No weeds or leaves blocking the view and cool temperatures so you can walk all day. Really beautiful place up there, got some good pics before the fog set in lol GPSe-00001.jpg GPSe-00002.jpg GPSe-00006.jpg GPSe-00008.jpg

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Your absolutely right. Late fall and winter is the best hiking. No weeds or leaves blocking the view and cool temperatures so you can walk all day. Really beautiful place up there, got some good pics before the fog set in lol View attachment 1230530 View attachment 1230532 View attachment 1230538 View attachment 1230539
LOL! GREAT "pics"! THE FOG reminds me of the Blair Witch Project... wife & I watched it on video, for Halloween! HA! GREAT Ciphers on tree, too; go in the direction of the arrow pointing... "O" may be ORO (GOLD); "LEAV"? Mean anything to you? "Diagram" on a beech tree? INTERESTING... MAY be a See-Saw (play on words); I SEE the treasure, YOU SAW the treasure. Pay NO attention to the "Boy-Girl" "I Love..." on the boulder... just KIDS!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fog was pretty awesome and very thick lol. I followed the cipher on the tree and it led right to an awesome cave, very cool. I went in and explored it for a couple of hours really nice in there. Actually found another cave on the way back but didn't have enuff time to explore it, gonna go back soon tho. GPSe-00014.jpg GPSe-00016.jpg GPSe-00013.jpg

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the cipher said O LEAV when i first seen it also but when I look close it actually says O CAVE with the arrow pointing down hill straight to the cave. Thanks for pointing out the see-saw i never would have noticed it. Also about a foot above the cipher was the letters D and an O. Im not sure if they were someones intinals cause they were carved at an angle instead of straight.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I thought the cipher said O LEAV when i first seen it also but when I look close it actually says O CAVE with the arrow pointing down hill straight to the cave. Thanks for pointing out the see-saw i never would have noticed it. Also about a foot above the cipher was the letters D and an O. Im not sure if they were someones intinals cause they were carved at an angle instead of straight.
THANKS for AWESOME "Cave Pics"! "D" & "O" may be initials, and the cave you went in, MAY be "O"'s cave; "D"'s cave may be the OTHER cave. DO be careful when exploring alone in caves, etc. "See-Saw" may ALSO be a wooden foot-bridge over a creek... dunno.

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be 2 caves. I'm gonna try and explore that other opening it might be another cave. Thanks for all the help. I'll get some pics of the other cave when I get to go back. Hopefully this weekend.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Could be 2 caves. I'm gonna try and explore that other opening it might be another cave. Thanks for all the help. I'll get some pics of the other cave when I get to go back. Hopefully this weekend.
BE CAREFUL! COULD be ONE cave with TWO Entrances: the "See-Saw" MAY indicate that & "SOMETHING" may be in "the Middle". BE VERY CAREFUL!

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Im gonna take my cousin with me this weekend to explore a little more. I spoke with a guy i was working for this week and he actually owns 350 acres around the place Ive been exploring. He was telling me a story of a cave there years ago that they could never find the end too. He said they had walked the cave for miles and it kept going. He said the main entrance has caved in over the years but he is willing to show me where the entrance was. So im gonna try to explore that area also. I'll keep you updated, hopefully no rain for the weekend lol. Thanks for all the help

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You might want to look into the "crane" tribe of the area. Chief crane and the tribe along the Pound river. They would have a connection with Swift and his party.

OP
OP
M

mrslojo

Oct 24, 2015
Eastern, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Swiftfan. I'll be sure to research the Crane tribe. I haven't heard of the Crane tribe before that i can remember. Ive read a little on Peter Cornstalk and some other shawnee's connected to swift. Thanks for the info

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
You might want to look into the "crane" tribe of the area. Chief crane and the tribe along the Pound river. They would have a connection with Swift and his party.
LOTS of Melungeons lived in that area... known as MECCA Indians; with DARK skin, BLUE Eyes... they were a mix of Indians, "blacks", "whites" racial types. "MYSTERIOUS" history, worthy of FURTHER Research & Investigation (R & I).
They had LOTS of SILVER mines in those hills (mountains); they learned much from Cherokee Nation (NC & TENN) in the "Smokies". HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
AND! Cherokee Nation learned MUCH about mining SILVER from the Spanish Miners, who DID "reach" as far north as North Carolina & Tennessee from Florida; Cherokee ppl were the SLAVES that carried SILVER out of the mines. In Northern Georgia, Spanish Miners were "wiped" out & Cherokee Nation took over those mines; believe it or not... COPPER was more valued by the Native ppl, than GOLD or SILVER.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread