Were the Welsh here in KY much earlier than the Spanish?

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most Red Hair in America came from the thousands of immigrants from Scotland and Ireland in the mid to late 1800s. Who ever the Colonel you refer too is, no matter how dasterdly, did NOT procreate most of America's redheaded people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hair

"....In Ireland, the percentage of population with red hair is estimated to be at around 10%.[11][12][13] According to Britain's DNA, 34.7% of the Irish population carry the genes for red hair, although this doesn't directly translate proportionally into births of red-haired children.[14]

Scotland also has a very high percentage with around 6% of the population having red hair.[10][15] Previously it was estimated that red hair occurrence in Scotland was around 13%, which had been widely reported in reliable media sources.[16] However, Dr. Jim Wilson of Britain's DNA study used a sample of 2,343 people, and found red hair occurrence of 6% in Scotland, with 35% overall carrying the gene and Edinburgh having the highest proportion of gene carriers at 40%.[10][15][17] The largest ever study of hair colour in Scotland, which analysed over 500,000 people in 1907, found the percentage of Scots with red hair to be 5.3%.[18]

38% of Welsh people carry the red haired gene.[10] A 1956 study of hair colour among British army recruits found higher levels of red hair in Wales and the English Border counties.[19]..."

Thanks hiker, if I have any redheaded babies, I know who to look for now. Hope he ain't a giant?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sunday, January 13, 2008 (4).jpg How about this one?..I originally thought it was Indian or Spanish....but could it be Welch?? Silver mines are near by..seems to be a map of where to locate them.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their alphabet is made of slash marks and used to be done on sticks(branches). Look up Welsh alphabet and compare to your picture carvings, it may give insight to the /\/\/\ marks sometimes done as \/\/\/.

creekcrawler

Aug 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lurked here for years guys, this is my first post.

Good read - "The Children of First Man" by James Alexander.
It's a story of the Mandan Indians and the Welsh. Very good read. True? Maybe.

As I said, lurked here for a while. Been trying to get down to the Red River Gorge area for a year or two now, timing has been a problem.
But after reading all the great posts, I need to get down there just to get some mud on my boots.
Got some nice stuff to explore here in northern Ohio, but nothing like what you guys have down there.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

As I said, lurked here for a while. Been trying to get down to the Red River Gorge area for a year or two now, timing has been a problem.
But after reading all the great posts, I need to get down there just to get some mud on my boots.
Got some nice stuff to explore here in northern Ohio, but nothing like what you guys have down there.

If mud is all you want I am quite sure someone down in the Red River Gorge will ship you some and save you a long drive. Just kidding it is frustrating when you have to travel so far to check this stories out. We need treasure hunters to work for other treasure hunters on their ideas, saves them a long drive and if anything is found, share the loot. But most treasure hunters do not want to share their research and information so I guess we will keep making the long drives. Good luck to you creekcrawler. I have been there and done that for about twenty years. Now to old to make them long trips.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the addition to my reading list! I assume its a novel (fiction)? If you have never been to the Red River Gorge, just to admire the beauty there, you are depriving yourself. It seems like such a small area on a map but the terrain makes it much larger once you are there.

creekcrawler

Aug 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KY - It fictional, based on some facts. Takes into account Rose Island and other areas. Definitely worth the read - can usually be found on Amazon used for $1-2.

Plenty of dirt for my boots up here, but I just feel a need to hike some of that terrain down that way while I still can. I have a tendency to try to get to areas that don't see much
traffic or people, so the Clifty Wilderness/Calaboose area interests me big time. We do have some of that terrain up here too, just not as much.

10-11  Cliff hanger.jpg

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KY - It fictional, based on some facts. Takes into account Rose Island and other areas. Definitely worth the read - can usually be found on Amazon used for $1-2.

Plenty of dirt for my boots up here, but I just feel a need to hike some of that terrain down that way while I still can. I have a tendency to try to get to areas that don't see much
traffic or people, so the Clifty Wilderness/Calaboose area interests me big time. We do have some of that terrain up here too, just not as much.

View attachment 1420835

If you have a topo map, just be sure you have a compass as well. Nothing in the Calaboose is marked. There are a couple of overgrown US Forest service roads and a scattering of deer trails. Swift Camp Creek is its own Gorge so crossing it to get to the Calaboose can only be done in a couple of areas that I know of. One near Rock Bridge the other around Castle Arch. The only other ways I know of are by finding the USFS road north of Campton and hiking 2 miles up Red River and wading across near Red Bird Arch. Good luck!

Last edited:

creekcrawler

Aug 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips KY. I'm good with a topo and compass. GPS is cool til it doesn't work.:thumbsup:

Maybe I'll make down this spring or fall.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the tips KY. I'm good with a topo and compass. GPS is cool til it doesn't work.:thumbsup:

Maybe I'll make down this spring or fall.

Fall would most likely be better as you may have a lot of Spring flooding.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True, if your planning on crossing the Red River it would be much easier in mid Summer thru Winter for lower gauges. You can get across Swift Camp Creek fairly easy near Rock Bridge/creation falls except right after a gully washer! If your looking for Timmin's mine opening its nearer the creek bed, I have been told, it is about 2 miles North of Rock Bridge (near Timmon's Arch area).

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Recently found out that Prez. Thomas Jefferson instructed Lewis & Clark to check out & report any Welsh "Indians"; today, known as the MANDAN Nation ("Indians"). MORE info may be in TJ's SECRET PAPERS at UVA Library (Alderman Libray, "Basement Shacks")... dunno.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm, so does anyone know of an expert(languages Sunday, January 13, 2008 (4).jpg -not author) that might decipher something like this. I thought is was Spanish or Indian..but with the /\/\/\ it might be welch?

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey KY, after looking at some artwork from that era I would say yes. Have you heard of the Welsh Indians?

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there are various reports of Christian like red headed Indians that spoke oddly like the Welsh. I don't know of any actually documented though.

Jaba

Greenie
Apr 16, 2018
Knoxville Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One very well known case of unusual Indians is that of the Fawn Hoof mummy.This was a red headed female mummy that was found in Mammoth Cave.Among other interesting things about her is the fact that she was 6 feet tall.She was " lost " after being donated to the Smithsonian.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One very well known case of unusual Indians is that of the Fawn Hoof mummy.This was a red headed female mummy that was found in Mammoth Cave.Among other interesting things about her is the fact that she was 6 feet tall.She was " lost " after being donated to the Smithsonian.

Thanks Jaba, I had heard of it and another mummified Indian found in KY before.
Well now, we have an 'Indian Princess' in a great cavern! Too bad its 150 miles further West than the legend has it...wonder if it inspired the legend and was added later?

Yes i have heard that many if not most of the 'giants' have disappeared into the basement of the Smithsonian. I guess it just doesn't fit their version of pre-colonial history. Many mounds in the Eastern US supposedly contained large, sometimes red headed remains of up to 7ft in length only to disappear once surrendered to authorities.

Last edited:

Jaba

Greenie
Apr 16, 2018
Knoxville Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The story about the female mummy was actually taught to me in my Ky history class.I am from Bowling Green just down the road from Mammoth Cave.There were actually several mummies found within the cave system.Also there is an old story that was in the Butler county Ky newspaper about supposed giant remains that were found in a cave there.

Jaba

Greenie
Apr 16, 2018
Knoxville Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Also in regards to Welsh being in the SE United States, the first governor of Tennesse mentioned in a letter to a friend about a conversation he had had with a Cherokee chief.When discussing some old stone fortifications with this chief, he was told by the chief that they had been built by people called Welsh and that these people had been forced from Alabama and had went to Ky.Some think the Paducah Indians are descended from them as well as the Mandan.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread