Swift Silver??

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arch over the creek/river

The one on/near Caney is actually on the Little Sandy, its where the line of rocks almost cross the river..I was told that it was blown up to make the river accessible to boating. Lots of interesting stuff right there..like the monument rocks and the hole thru the cliff, and if you look when the water is down..until February..you can see the remains of a rock house...a dwelling made from rocks...not a cave like structure. Also not far is the famous Crane Carving. The line of rocks and crane drawing are the start of a description of 6 Indian silver mines called out in the Indian Waybill (I have found all of them and am waiting on a TV producer to set up the initial look see-if he doesn't do it soon I will post the whole document here on how to locate each one)...The Indian Waybill starts there and the whole are is similar to what Swift writes about...I think his silver mine maybe the vein that runs under the Grayson reservoir dam.

Last edited:

WaterScoop

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2017
SW Washington
Detector(s) used
Nox 800,
CTX 3030,
XP DEUS,
Excalibur II
Garrett AT Max,
Whites DFX,
Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!

I know it’s an old post but this is AWESOME!

98AD8D77-FC81-4531-AB6F-279231B2B264.jpeg

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way little Caney is between the Grayson Reservoir and newfoundland if you are traveling on Rt 7...there is a boat ramp right on state Route 504(turns off of rt 7) that is a good place to go down Caney creek to the little sandy by boat..where it meets the Little Sandy(LS) turn left and about a mile down LS you will find the location of the rocks that looks like they dam up the water..its actually a very tight turn in the river...that is the location of the arch. Its in the old history books on Carter County-Because Carter was subdivide to get Elliot if my memory serves me right. If you are taking a small boat or canoe it may pay you to find the gap with the lid on it...you can portage there...going from little Caney to the Little Sandy by carrying your canoe thru the gap you save about a mile or so of paddling...its been called the Light house by some Swift hunters back years ago...but I doubt it...they also said they found Swift, Monday and a bunch of others names on a rock not far from there...also..I haven't seen it but on the other side of 504 up Little Caney is supposed to be a rock with DAS and 1767 carved in it. Desiree Ann Swift was John's wife.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curtis, you are the man. Thanks for all your work whether any producer picks up or not. You have the most informative posts on the Swift. Thank you.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The one on/near Caney is actually on the Little Sandy, its where the line of rocks almost cross the river..I was told that it was blown up to make the river accessible to boating. Lots of interesting stuff right there..like the monument rocks and the hole thru the cliff, and if you look when the water is down..until February..you can see the remains of a rock house...a dwelling made from rocks...not a cave like structure. Also not far is the famous Crane Carving. The line of rocks and crane drawing are the start of a description of 6 Indian silver mines called out in the Indian Waybill (I have found all of them and am waiting on a TV producer to set up the initial look see-if he doesn't do it soon I will post the whole document here on how to locate each one)...The Indian Waybill starts there and the whole are is similar to what Swift writes about...I think his silver mine maybe the vein that runs under the Grayson reservoir dam.

Would it have been almost 200ft up and around 200ft across before it collapsed? Pictures that were posted from that area don't look like the cliffs are that high to me...

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way little Caney is between the Grayson Reservoir and newfoundland if you are traveling on Rt 7...there is a boat ramp right on state Route 504(turns off of rt 7) that is a good place to go down Caney creek to the little sandy by boat..where it meets the Little Sandy(LS) turn left and about a mile down LS you will find the location of the rocks that looks like they dam up the water..its actually a very tight turn in the river...that is the location of the arch. Its in the old history books on Carter County-Because Carter was subdivide to get Elliot if my memory serves me right. If you are taking a small boat or canoe it may pay you to find the gap with the lid on it...you can portage there...going from little Caney to the Little Sandy by carrying your canoe thru the gap you save about a mile or so of paddling...its been called the Light house by some Swift hunters back years ago...but I doubt it...they also said they found Swift, Monday and a bunch of others names on a rock not far from there...also..I haven't seen it but on the other side of 504 up Little Caney is supposed to be a rock with DAS and 1767 carved in it. Desiree Ann Swift was John's wife.

The mile of paddling would be much easier than taking a canoe up and over the split, also Curtis there many Scaggs in that area I was told the DAS carving is from a Scaggs.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
219 ft long 196ft high.....that would be one narrow section between the ridges. It must have collapsed? Being only 5ft thick and 12ft wide in the middle, that would make sense.
The one on Swift Camp Creek is no higher than 20ft over the creek and actually resembles a bridge. Its in the Red River Gorge...and is supposed to be the only arch in KY that is actually a bridge (stream flowing under it).

These articles are referring to a Swift camp Creek in Carter County or present day Elliott county. As Curtis said Carter gave up some land to Elliott County.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is only 1 Swift Camp Creek in the state of KY. It flows right through Campton and North into the Red River Gorge. It empties into the Red River.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is only 1 Swift Camp Creek in the state of KY. It flows right through Campton and North into the Red River Gorge. It empties into the Red River.

Present day there is only one, the article says it's on the Tygart, in the Smokey Valley area of Carter County. I'm thinking the name has been changed or only the locals called it Swift Camp Creek.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Present day there is only one, the article says it's on the Tygart, in the Smokey Valley area of Carter County. I'm thinking the name has been changed or only the locals called it Swift Camp Creek.

99% of the creeks and streams were named by the first settlers or explorers to those areas. Maybe you misread the article or its author was mistaken. Can you post the article in whole or a link to it? I think it would be a HUGE deal if there were 2 different Swift Camp Creeks in KY. Especially since the town of Campton was named so because of the base camp Swift set up in that location...and thus naming that creek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campton,_Kentucky

CamptonHistoricalMarker.JPG

Tygart's Creek is in Greenup Co and dumps into the Ohio river near Portsmouth, OH.

https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?l...nad83&zoom=8&map=auto&coord=d&mode=pan&size=m

Followed the creek on the map to Carter Co. there is a Kinney Camp Creek that opens into Tygart's Creek just East of Carter Caves State Park. Maybe this is the reference? Interesting there is a devil's backbone at the state park!

https://www.topoquest.com/map.php?l...nad83&zoom=8&map=auto&coord=d&mode=pan&size=m

Last edited:

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99% of the creeks and streams were named by the first settlers or explorers to those areas. Maybe you misread the article or its author was mistaken. Can you post the article in whole or a link to it? I think it would be a HUGE deal if there were 2 different Swift Camp Creeks in KY. Especially since the town of Campton was named so because of the base camp Swift set up in that location...and thus naming that creek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campton,_Kentucky

View attachment 1543820

Tygart's Creek is in Greenup Co and dumps into the Ohio river near Portsmouth, OH.

Followed the creek on the map to Carter Co. there is a Kinney Camp Creek that opens into Tygart's Creek just East of Carter Caves State Park. Maybe this is the reference? Interesting there is a devil's backbone at the state park!

The entire reverence to the Swifts Camp Creek is posted, Hiker. Could be a mistake, I'm digging deeper. I found an Indian trail pointer tree that seems to point to line of rock today. On the tree behind the pointer there are carvings. Can't make them out they are almost grown over.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a massive tree at roughly 240+ years old. Nice! I'm thinking that Kinney Camp Creek is the creek they meant. The map link above shows the area.

Brushy Bandit

Jan 11, 2017
Carter County, KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a massive tree at roughly 240+ years old. Nice! I'm thinking that Kinney Camp Creek is the creek they meant. The map link above shows the area.

Wow you assume I think the tree has something to do with Swift. I don't, I was just amazed to find one, it's the only one I've ever seen. Just thought I'd share.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you assume I think the tree has something to do with Swift. I don't, I was just amazed to find one, it's the only one I've ever seen. Just thought I'd share.

The pointer tree is/was bent? I am assuming 240yrs only because there probably were not any Indians marking trails later than 1780. After that they were most likely too busy with settlers and there own war upon them. They also typically tied them when they were saplings (1-5 yrs old).

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Someone must be getting close!

In my best Oak Island narrator voice: An Indian Trail pointer tree? A mysterious line of rocks. And carvings on a tree?

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone must be getting close!

In my best Oak Island narrator voice: An Indian Trail pointer tree? A mysterious line of rocks. And carvings on a tree?

Hahha! That show is full of rhetorical questions isn't it? Dangling that carrot to make you watch the next episode!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread