KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear that this cave is one that 'goes through the mountain'. Could this have been the system that was used as a storehouse for Swift and company? It was 'discovered' by white men in 1790's. Used for niter mining from the war of 1812 on. Just wanted to throw this out there for discussion. Any thoughts?

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been in this cave o many an occasion, not much of it that hasn't been explored, but there are still some filled in passageways.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a cave on the West Virginia and Virginia border that goes under a mountain. I had a man tell me where it was but never had time to look for it. I wish I had gotten his name. Anyway this cave ran from Bishop, West Virginia under the mountain and came out in Pocahontas, West Virginia. The man that told me about the cave said there was still Indian canoes and other artifacts still down inside the cave. Could be the great cavern also as I know there is a silver seam that runs through there between Bishop, Wva. and Tazewell, Va. A known silver dollar counterfeiter was arrested in the Tazewell area at least between Tazewell, Va and Bluefield W.va. Maybe a good place for the silver lined cave.

Also the "remarkable rock" mentioned in the Swift Journal is Pinnacle Rock near Bluefield, W.Va. and can be seen of the Jefferson & Frys Map showing near the headwaters of the Bluestone River.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
That sounds like CSA Gen. Robert Lee's "fav" cave for salt during the Confederate War... Rebel artifiacts may be in there.

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a cave on the West Virginia and Virginia border that goes under a mountain. I had a man tell me where it was but never had time to look for it. I wish I had gotten his name. Anyway this cave ran from Bishop, West Virginia under the mountain and came out in Pocahontas, West Virginia. The man that told me about the cave said there was still Indian canoes and other artifacts still down inside the cave. Could be the great cavern also as I know there is a silver seam that runs through there between Bishop, Wva. and Tazewell, Va. A known silver dollar counterfeiter was arrested in the Tazewell area at least between Tazewell, Va and Bluefield W.va. Maybe a good place for the silver lined cave.

Also the "remarkable rock" mentioned in the Swift Journal is Pinnacle Rock near Bluefield, W.Va. and can be seen of the Jefferson & Frys Map showing near the headwaters of the Bluestone River.

Does not seem probable that Bluefield would be on the route from Alexandria, VA to the forks of the Sandy River (Northern Route thru Pound gap) or Yakin Vallley, NC to Sandy River (Southern route thru Cumberland Gap) as described in various versions of Swift Journal. More likely would be the formations at the Breaks Interstate park. I think the 'remarkable rock' refers to a prominence near their actual mining location and not along their path before they get to the forks of the Sandy River...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions