KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looking at the map linked above will show a large number of Lead (Pb) and Zinc (Zn) deposits. Silver is commonly found within these deposits. Fools gold can be found in N. GA, so can Gold although only in small quantities. If Iron Pyrite is here in KY, at least trace amounts of Gold should be here as well. I think your right on the money with the paying amounts/"commercially viable" amounts. There is supposed to be massive quantities of Gold dissolved into sea water, yet there are no electric 'processing' plants at sea or along the coasts to precipitate it out of the salt water. Its not commercially viable...in other words it would cost more to do it than what it would produce.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Back in the 70's, I was a geology major at W.K.U. for 2 years. Of course, the generally accepted idea was that they were no "commercially viable" gold deposits in Kentucky. (Silver is often found in the same locations as gold) So, all these years later, I see "expert" geologists from Kentucky universities saying there is "NO GOLD IN KY." That is quite different from what I had been taught. I posted this elsewhere but there is a small town near me called Gold City and it was so named because a guy digging a well found a large gold nugget. Well, that turned out to be iron pyrite (fool's gold) and now that is cited as proof there is no gold here. BUT, I also learned back in college that gold is often found in or near where pyrite is located. But now were are told the conditions in this state do not allow for that. I think it is here, and all around in various locations, in very small deposits and quantities due to the layers of sedimentary rock covering most of my part of the state. We find many fossils of sea creatures proving that Kentucky was once under the ocean so, I would not rule anything out in absolutes like they seem to be doing now. I believe the Indians in this area knew where to find the silver and the gold, as little as there might be. Maybe I was given bad information back then but, I like to believe it is possible to find "some" here and there.

Bill

I think you was taught right with the "commercially viable" part of the statement. People over the years have learned to leave out some of the important parts of statements that have been passed down through the years.

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
concernoning comercial acid test kits no get some regent nitric acid dilute this to 15\20 % with distilled water crush a piece of suspected rock add this to acid water mix caution alwalys add acid to water if you add water to acid you will get a violent reaction let this stand over night next day filter this through coffee filter should have a clear solution next add some table salt or hcl meratic acid does not take much if silver is there it will give you awhite curdy precipatate this is silver chloride if you want to change it into metal take h2so4 this is sulfuric acid you can use battery acid this is 36.5 % dilute this with an equal amount of distilled water put this into a small cast iron fry pan add silver chloride stir around make shure chlorides contact metal of pan this will give you a gray residue this is all most pure silver filter this in coffee filter thhis is called cement silver place some of this on hard surface and use abutter knife press down while pulling it across the cement silver it will be bright and shiny hopes this helps rgb1

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm taking notes due to all the 'spots' I have to check in the RRGorge where greyish rock is exposed. Thanks RGB1. One question, how fine do i need to crush the sample rock?

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
run thru window screen about 40 mesh is good rgb1

OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Next trip I'll bring several ziplocs for samples and labeling. Many of the spots I know of are fairly close to the road.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
RRG would be a WONDERFUL place to have a house/community to live...

Plenty of places I'd rather be . Like the place a guy I was fishing with told me a story of a vein of some sort of soft metal that ran across a creek. Said it was about 2 - 6"s thick but wouldn't melt at lead melting temps when he tried to make sinkers out off it . Said it had a shine like lead or silver looking, but could NOT melt it to pour sinkers out of . He did bring me a piece of it about 2 1/2" square. it weighs almost 3 lbs. still not sure what metal it is but it does shine like silver.

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
take a small piece put in the presence of sulphur a raw egg will do if silver it will turn black good luck rgb1

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
take a small piece put in the presence of sulphur a raw egg will do if silver it will turn black good luck rgb1

Thanks rgb1 I'll give it a shot.. I got plenty farm fresh eggs lol will it be quick or will it take over night??

rgb1

Nov 24, 2013
s.w. Ohio
Detector(s) used
2 whites 1 garett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
depends what it is alloyed with if its pure silver it will not take long mabey over night if alloyed with arsenic antimony or others mabey longer or not at all depends on composition and how much silver is actually there if at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY Hiker

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plenty of places I'd rather be . Like the place a guy I was fishing with told me a story of a vein of some sort of soft metal that ran across a creek. Said it was about 2 - 6"s thick but wouldn't melt at lead melting temps when he tried to make sinkers out off it . Said it had a shine like lead or silver looking, but could NOT melt it to pour sinkers out of . He did bring me a piece of it about 2 1/2" square. it weighs almost 3 lbs. still not sure what metal it is but it does shine like silver.

Soft metal makes me think of aluminum or lead with that color. I don't think silver would be soft....zinc maybe?

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ken,

Yes that is the map is, similar to hers but hers had a close up by streams and such. This one shows a lot of mine possibilities ..thanks!

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Soft metal makes me think of aluminum or lead with that color. I don't think silver would be soft....zinc maybe?

I think it's to heavy to be aluminum, but I might be wrong it won't melt at lead melting temps so that rules that out . He and I both tried melting it to make sinkers for fishing. So I'm not sure what it is. Thought about calling the jewelry store and see if they could tell me anything.

PirateLabs

Feb 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's to heavy to be aluminum, but I might be wrong it won't melt at lead melting temps so that rules that out . He and I both tried melting it to make sinkers for fishing. So I'm not sure what it is. Thought about calling the jewelry store and see if they could tell me anything.

I might be wrong here but I do not think naturally occurring silver would be "shiny". I think it would have a layer of oxidation on it from being exposed to the elements over time. (Think tarnish) I have never found any silver or silver ore out in the wild so, like I said, I really don't know. Best of luck to you with your tests. I hope it turns very black very fast if that means it is pure silver.

Bill

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
I might be wrong here but I do not think naturally occurring silver would be "shiny". I think it would have a layer of oxidation on it from being exposed to the elements over time. (Think tarnish) I have never found any silver or silver ore out in the wild so, like I said, I really don't know. Best of luck to you with your tests. I hope it turns very black very fast if that means it is pure silver.

Bill

It had a brownish/black layer on the outside except where he had cut it off. I took a stainless wire brush to it and shined it up though.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the metal being soft reminds me that it could be pure white gold. But since you said it had tarnish except where it was cut, most likely silver.

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok not aluminum !!! Aluminum when heated to a melting point with a cutting torch will pop this doesn't. Wish I'd paid more attention in science class .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread