KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From Alexandria, Va. and going WEST, you would link with the GREAT WAGON ROAD (aka Indian Warriors Path) which is Rt. 11 in the Shenandoah Valley, TODAY. To get to Pound, Va. of the South West Virginia into Kentucky, "Wilderness Road" was used to get into Kentucky. MORE on these "old" Roads can be found by "googling" BUFFALO TRACE, listed by states.

I googled 'Buffalo Trace' all I got were Bourbon links :BangHead:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Moccasin Gap and the Pound Gap and several others were used by travelers long before the Cumberland Gap or the "Wilderness Road" cut by the Bryon Family and Daniel Boone. The Great Wagon Road from Pennsylvania to Old Salem, N.C. was cut by Rebecca Bryon's Family.

Again, I'm looking for traces and gaps that would run West from Alexandria, VA (Washington,DC) probably through Manassas Gap then Westward in the general direction of either Louisa, KY or Pound, VA because some versions of the journal read 'at the forks of the Sandy' and others read 'at the headwaters of the Sandy' . Either way, also locating old fords (not rusty trucks) along the rivers mentioned in the journals would help define their route(s). I would guess through much of VA. the route was near or around US60 and or I-64 only because that would be the most direct pathway and would get them the furthest West in the time frame mentioned in Swift journals. I will say, if it was 'the headwaters of the Sandy' and not the forks, the Longridge/great ridge mentioned would make more sense as Pine Mt.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HOW did they get to Ft. Pitt...?

Yes, Braddock's Road was cut to Ft. Pitt. from Alexandria. The problem I have with that route is all the mouths of creeks and rivers they would have to ford moving along the South bank of the Ohio River. The North bank had an Indian trace along it according to Indian trace maps of Ohio.
Harrod and his group came to KY via Ft. Pitt, they used raft like barges and used the natural flow of the Ohio River to take them along the same route but further down to the mouth of the KY river. They then took the KY upstream to a Buffalo trace/fording point near where Frankfort is and followed that trace to where they founded Ft. Harrod (Harrodsburg, KY). Swift does not mention boats/rafts/canoes at all, but the route taken by him is the same to the Sandy...

Last edited:

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I googled 'Buffalo Trace' all I got were Bourbon links :BangHead:

The Indian and Buffalo Traces are on the Jefferson and Fry Map as well as the Filson Map.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, Braddock's Road was cut to Ft. Pitt. from Alexandria. The problem I have with that route is all the mouths of creeks and rivers they would have to ford moving along the South bank of the Ohio River. The North bank had an Indian trace along it according to Indian trace maps of Ohio.
Harrod and his group came to KY via Ft. Pitt, they used raft like barges and used the natural flow of the Ohio River to take them along the same route but further down to the mouth of the KY river. They then took the KY upstream to a Buffalo trace/fording point near where Frankfort is and followed that trace to where they founded Ft. Harrod (Harrodsburg, KY). Swift does not mention boats/rafts/canoes at all, but the route taken by him is the same to the Sandy...

If they left Ft. Pitt and went to the head waters of the Monongohila then headed west toward the Ky. Land, they could have crossed the other rivers most any where with little effort. Not sure just where the head waters are but pretty certain they lay south west of Ft Pitt. in the central part of present day W.Va. Many of the rivers in the interior of W.Va. are great wade fishing rivers not more than knee deep Crystal clear, swift and cold even in July and August.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a section of an article I was reading today. Remember this was several years before Boone blazed the trail through Cumberland gap.
The first migrants to cross the Appalachians soon discovered that the mountains were not the only obstacles to westward settlement. Other factors were the Native-American inhabitants and the ongoing dispute between the British and French governments as to who controlled this area. As such, the migrations of British colonists beyond the mountains was a principal cause of the French and Indian War (1754-1761).
After the war, migrants crossed the mountains in increasing numbers despite the British government's 1763 proclamation prohibiting settlement beyond the Appalachians. The British knew if the colonials continued their unrestrained encroachment upon Indian territory another Indian war would ensue, a situation they hoped to avoid. However, neither government prohibitions nor army blockades could stop the deluge of settlers that poured west after 1765. Separated by mountain ranges and hundreds of miles from the center of political authority in the East, migrants such as Daniel Boone, and John Sevier followed their own designs and ignored government policies that they deemed to be inconsistent with their interests. Other routes through the Appalachians were also discovered during this time, including the Cumberland Gap, which afforded migrants access to eastern Kentucky and Tennessee.

The 1763 proclamation didn't amount to nothing according to this article. People went exploring and looking for a new place to settle any how.

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Indian and Buffalo Traces are on the Jefferson and Fry Map as well as the Filson Map.

https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/media_player?mets_filename=evm00002619mets.xml

http://www.kyhistory.com/cdm/ref/collection/PH/id/660

The major buffalo trace that basically made a loop of sorts through the bluegrass region and the warrior's path (north-south) were all I remember from those maps. Nothing in E.KY that crossed the creeks mentioned in VA. If they had to blaze a trail they would not have made the distance in the time mentioned of about 4 weeks. So looking for fords along the rivers getting to the Sandy is next...

Last edited:

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a section of an article I was reading today. Remember this was several years before Boone blazed the trail through Cumberland gap.
The first migrants to cross the Appalachians soon discovered that the mountains were not the only obstacles to westward settlement. Other factors were the Native-American inhabitants and the ongoing dispute between the British and French governments as to who controlled this area. As such, the migrations of British colonists beyond the mountains was a principal cause of the French and Indian War (1754-1761).
After the war, migrants crossed the mountains in increasing numbers despite the British government's 1763 proclamation prohibiting settlement beyond the Appalachians. The British knew if the colonials continued their unrestrained encroachment upon Indian territory another Indian war would ensue, a situation they hoped to avoid. However, neither government prohibitions nor army blockades could stop the deluge of settlers that poured west after 1765. Separated by mountain ranges and hundreds of miles from the center of political authority in the East, migrants such as Daniel Boone, and John Sevier followed their own designs and ignored government policies that they deemed to be inconsistent with their interests. Other routes through the Appalachians were also discovered during this time, including the Cumberland Gap, which afforded migrants access to eastern Kentucky and Tennessee.

The 1763 proclamation didn't amount to nothing according to this article. People went exploring and looking for a new place to settle any how.

I read the same thing then posted the link, glad someone read it. King George was pissing many people off and those that were fed up moved West away from his authority. The author's choice of words 'deluge' makes one think of a migration. No such thing happened until the next two decades into Kentucky. 1770-1790 was when that happened. This is why I think if the Swift of Prather's book was the Jonathon Swift of silver mine lore, the dates are wrong for just this reason. Staking a claim on a mining operation with a date prior to the 1763 proclamation would give them first rights...

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/media_player?mets_filename=evm00002619mets.xml

John Filson Map of Kentucky, 1784 :: Visual Materials

The major buffalo trace that basically made a loop of sorts through the bluegrass region and the warrior's path (north-south) were all I remember from those maps. Nothing in E.KY that crossed the creeks mentioned in VA. If they had to blaze a trail they would not have made the distance in the time mentioned of about 4 weeks. So looking for fords along the rivers getting to the Sandy is next...

Well I figure when you start looking for fords you'll come up with lots of links to car/truck dealers.. Maybe some crystal links as well. Hence Waterford Crystal.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old topo maps 1900-1950s will show fords just very time consuming due to having to zoom the map in.

OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
As late as the 1950/60's there was many roads in E. Ky. that still ran through the creeks. I mean ran miles up the creek bed.

KY Hiker

Bronze Member
Oct 28, 2014
North Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an example, topo from 1968. Once a creek cuts to a solid rock bed it will not change for many years.

FordAtIndianCreek.jpg

The dotted line was either a forest service road or someones access to their property. My guess is this was the ford used by Indians heading North-South into and out of Indian Creek as well as Elk and Buffalo moving along the Red River from the West and up Indian Creek.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Ken S.

Oct 1, 2018
Paintsville,Ky.
Primary Interest:
Other
That dotted line just happens to be county line between Powell and Wolf Co... Look right at the top of the map. I was looking at the wrong line. Yep access road right along a creek. Good luck with finding all the fords Swift used.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread